Ignorance Of The Law Is No Excuse

How do you know how relevant they are? The country is being attacked from within. How relevant are those documents to that fact?
I didn’t say the documents were relevant. I said what the documents are classified is relevant. The DoJ has explained the documents are highly classified.

Well it was Bill Barr that supposedly looked at it and Trump, in his infinite wisdom, decided not to charge her for the good of the country. But yea, "lock her up" was an unfulfilled campaign promise.
Actually, what Trump said to you LOCKER UP! rubes in public is quite different than what he said in private. He actually had nothing but respect and praise for Hillary and her lawyers.

You should Read. The. Indictment.

Actually, what Trump said to you LOCKER UP! rubes in public is quite different than what he said in private. He actually had nothing but respect and praise for Hillary and her lawyers.

Hillary did not get inditated. What is wrong with your periods?

No, I'm saying my car wasn't searched because I don't look like I'd be trafficking narcotics, illegal aliens, or state secrets.

But if they asked to see my trunk, I wouldn't have said "no". If they asked again, I wouldn't have told my attorney to deny there is even a trunk to my car. If they started jimmying the latch on the trunk, I wouldn't have tweeted that they are "raiding my car" needlessly.
And who did that?

The espionage act indicates that you have to knowingly and willingly retain classified documents.

You couldn’t make that case with Clinton. You can with Trump.

Ignorance of the law isn’t the excuse, it’s ignorance of what you have in your possession.
But all had classified stuff in their possession. And, Biden knew he had classified stuff and kept it secret so that it didn't come out just before the election and then he knew he had stuff in his garage for months later and kept it, only fessing up when the media was going to report the story.

But all had classified stuff in their possession. And, Biden knew he had classified stuff and kept it secret so that it didn't come out just before the election and then he knew he had stuff in his garage for months later and kept it, only fessing up when the media was going to report the story.
You keep overlooking what the indictment is about...it is about what happened after the government asked for the documents to be returned.

No, I'm saying my car wasn't searched because I don't look like I'd be trafficking narcotics, illegal aliens, or state secrets.

But if they asked to see my trunk, I wouldn't have said "no". If they asked again, I wouldn't have told my attorney to deny there is even a trunk to my car. If they started jimmying the latch on the trunk, I wouldn't have tweeted that they are "raiding my car" needlessly.
And you wouldn't have broken up your cell phones after you bleached your computers?

So, what happened to ignorance of the law is no excuse?

Mostly, it's been misunderstood. Ignorance of the law has never been a defense for breaking it. This basically an ancient principle, based on the premise that legal prohibitions exist to preclude bad acts. Laws aren't created just because it's fun to legislate or to prosecute. They exist because bad acts are prosecution worthy. So, if you murder someone in cold blood, it doesn't matter that nobody told you murder is illegal. What matters is that you intentionally murdered the person.

But many uneducated idiots, especially internet arm chair lawyer types, have completely misconstrued this legal principle that reached back to antiquity with the legal concept of intent. For many particular crimes, there must be some kinds of mens rea, which is Latin for guilty mind. In other words, a particular action must be undertaken with some kind of intention to engage in a particular bad act.

For example, let's say that there's a shiny red button in front of you on your desk. Somebody tells you "Don't push the button", then walks away. Ten minutes later they come back again and repeat this exactly, and every ten minutes thereafter, for about an hour. You have no idea why they're saying this, and after a while you're feeling cheeky, so you push the button. Unknown to you, the button controls a ventillation system in an airtight room a mile away. The air gets sucked out of the room, the man inside dies. Is this murder? No. Your act of pushing the button lacked mens rea. You had no good reason to expect that the actus reus of pushing the button would produce the effect of killing the man inside the room.

On the other hand, let's say the person starts off by actually explaining what the button does, throws up a computer screen showing a live feed of the airtight room, and connects you on a video call with the man inside who also tells you what the button does. Everyone involved also tells you that the man is actually somewhere in a remote part of the world that has no government and therefore there's no laws against murder that would apply. And after all of that, you decide to push the button and then sit there and watch the man on the screen die of suffocation. Is this criminal murder? Yes. Because your act of pushing the button was done with a mens rea to kill the man.

So the moral of the story is that ignorance of the law is no excuse for criminal conduct. But lacking mens rea can make an action noncriminal in the first place.

I know it's all very complicated, and is nowhere near as simple as counting change when working at a fast food joint. But that's why it takes a really long time to go to school long enough to become a lawyer.

It is telling that not one single Trumper is saying he did not do the things he is accused of. Just that he should not be held accountable because others were not.

Your blob.

Your blob was told to return the documents. The Government alleges that he took steps to hide the documents instead of returning them...including telling his attorney to lie to the investigators.

This is what is alleged by the OIC.
Please link to prove that Trump did all the stuff you said in crossing the border.

You keep overlooking what the indictment is about...it is about what happened after the government asked for the documents to be returned.
Biden's government claimed it was ok to have classified documents in your home but then later decided it was not OK to have those very same documents in your home. They flip flopped on the very same documents. First it is OK then it wasn't.

You’re going to have to prove that first.
The proof is already there. He and his lawyers knew they had classified documents in New Jersey but kept it secret because they discovered it just before the 2020 election and didn't want it to get out before the election. When that was discovered they should have looked for more classified documents but didn't, with them finally admitting months later that there were more, and then after the DOJ showed up then they found even more.

Yea cause you know, those military secrets about attacking and retaliating after an attack should be common knowledge. And we all know the Donald knows more than the Generals.
What on Earth are you talking about, the Iran attack documents that Democrats made public?

If I understand you correctly, you're saying that Trump had higher moral standards because in private, he didn't want to go after Hillary and put a stop to it while the left are more than willing to go after Trump for political purposes.

Forum List

Back