If you were the god of a given religion...

Delta4Embassy

Gold Member
Dec 12, 2013
Earth
Yes it's been done. So let's do it again. :)

...What would you do as 'God?' Bear in mind you're subject to whatever commandments the religion has. We'll assume when 'God' kills people for example it's because they did something that was a death-penalty offense so God didn't 'murder' them as much as mete out justice.

You're God, bound to your own commandments, what do you do?

TOS beat me to it. I wuz gonna say start collecting goddesses. For I am not a jealous god.

Why would a god be subject to its own commandments? I wrote 'em, if one doesn't work out I hit "god-edit".
And I get an infinite edit window to do dat.

Whores and wine for everyone!

So, Bacchus of the Greek pantheon?
I'll look him up!

Excellent Greek, Roman, etc. site here,

Bacchus

"The Roman god of wine and intoxication, equated with the Greek Dionysus. His festival was celebrated on March 16 and 17. The Bacchanalia, orgies in honor of Dionysus, were introduced in Rome around 200 BCE. These infamous celebrations, notorious for their sexual and criminal character, got so out of hand that they were forbidden by the Roman Senate in 186 BCE. Bacchus is also identified with the old-Italian god Liber."

...What would you do as 'God?' Bear in mind you're subject to whatever commandments the religion has. We'll assume when 'God' kills people for example it's because they did something that was a death-penalty offense so God didn't 'murder' them as much as mete out justice.

The Christian God is not bound by the commandment of 'Thou Shalt Not Kill'. This is a commandment to be followed by those who are in mortality unless God authorizes otherwise. You see, you can't kill immortal beings who exist in the here after. They are immortal. Murder or killing cannot be committed in an eternal sphere. The law has no bearing only on a mortal sphere. It is a law given by God to mortal man so that they will not undo what God has done, i.e. placing a being into mortality. This life of mortality is temporary and for the purpose of learning to walk by faith and to learn to choose good in and of oneself. God and only God has the right to take us out of our probationary state or those whom God permits. Death is the separation of the body from the spirit. Resurrection is the reuniting of the spirit with the body to never again be separated but to be immortal. Some are raised from the dead to return to mortality but this is not the same as resurrection. Resurrection is being raised to a state of immortality after death. Some however, will be changed from their mortal state to an immortal state in the twinkling of an eye.

Id hit restart on a lot of things -

Money and power no longer being our incentives for advancement would be my top priority.

The Christian God is not bound by the commandment of 'Thou Shalt Not Kill'. This is a commandment to be followed by those who are in mortality unless God authorizes otherwise. You see, you can't kill immortal beings who exist in the here after. They are immortal. Murder or killing cannot be committed in an eternal sphere. The law has no bearing only on a mortal sphere. It is a law given by God to mortal man so that they will not undo what God has done, i.e. placing a being into mortality. This life of mortality is temporary and for the purpose of learning to walk by faith and to learn to choose good in and of oneself. God and only God has the right to take us out of our probationary state or those whom God permits. Death is the separation of the body from the spirit. Resurrection is the reuniting of the spirit with the body to never again be separated but to be immortal. Some are raised from the dead to return to mortality but this is not the same as resurrection. Resurrection is being raised to a state of immortality after death. Some however, will be changed from their mortal state to an immortal state in the twinkling of an eye.

No such commandment as 'you shall not kill'

13You shall not murder. You shall not commit adultery. You shall not steal. You shall not bear false witness against your neighbor.
- Shemot 20

If you think kill and murder are the same thing ask how you can raise livestock for food if you're not allowed to kill it.

Same thing God currently does. Having all knowledge would significantly change my decision making process.

Well.....here's my issue. To be God is to assume a level of wisdom and intelligence that far exceeds that of mankind. Thus, any answer I, or anyone else could give, would be an attempt to assume a knowledge far greater than our own. For example, if we were to say 'if I was God I would end suffering', it assumes that suffering can, in fact, be ended while maintaining all the other systems in place. So say, for example, we ask Gd to end earthquakes and God says "ok I will end earthquakes as you ask. There has been too much innocent loss of life due to earthquakes so no more earthquakes".

Ok great but how is the surface of our planet going to renew? The renewal of our planet's surface is critical to maintaining life on the planet. So at some point in the future we bitch to God and say, "hey God, we have a big problem down here with crops, and the magnetic field that surrounds the Earth and protects us is all fucked up. What are you going to do about it?" So God gets a bit annoyed at this point and says "ok look mother fuckers. You said you didn't want earthquakes so I stopped the earthquakes. Now you want a renewable planet surface and a stable magnetic field. Fine, but that means I have to get the tectonic plates moving again which means earthquakes. So which do you want? Make up your fucking mind. BTW I have a great idea. Why don't you stop setting up your communities on fault lines? Ever think of that?"

This assumes, of course, that God is subject to the laws of nature and physics He created when designing the universe (I am one of the few I know of who endorses that belief). The point though is that it is hard to say what we would do as God because if we were God we would have a far greater understanding of the mechanics of the universe and our position would naturally change as a result.

So all I can offer in answer to your question is 'if I ever become God, I will let you know'.

This assumes, of course, that God is subject to the laws of nature and physics He created when designing the universe (I am one of the few I know of who endorses that belief).

Just a quickie thought --

If god is subject to the laws of Nature (and I'm not disputing that) --- then who is the She who makes "him" a He?

Forum List

Back