The original "Rocky" movie.

iamwhatiseem

Diamond Member
Aug 19, 2010
On a hill
We watched it last night. The last time I had saw the movie was probably the early 80s.
It honestly hasn't aged well. Sylvester Stallone overacted the character to the point of being comical.
The best acting in the movie was honestly Burt Young playing Paulie. Great job playing his character.
Talia Shire was also good.
But there is a reason Sylvester Stallone was never a great actor. Because... he isn't.

Hey DIRTBAG, you're a LOUSY SHOT....

Quote of the Day: Cobra | Return to the 80s

Watch Cobra, the greatest movie ever made

When I saw the movie Rambo... I thought it was the dumbest thing I ever saw.
The shear level of unrealistic wannabe warrior was outrageously absurd.
The movie Cobras accomplishment, was it was actually dumber and even more unrealistic than Rambo.

I agree
Rocky was never a great movie. Fun but not a great movie

The characters are cartoonish and the dialogue is corny.

Stallone is Stallone
That is all you are going to get

I never watched another Stallone movie after laughing at Rambo.
I saw parts of Cobra once when flipping around.
I never understood how this guy was successful.
At least with Schwarzeneggar, the storylines were mostly good, helping to make up for his inability to act.
Stallone movies... it is hard to say which is worse - his acting or the movie itself.

I never watched another Stallone movie after laughing at Rambo.
I saw parts of Cobra once when flipping around.
I never understood how this guy was successful.
At least with Schwarzeneggar, the storylines were mostly good, helping to make up for his inability to act.
Stallone movies... it is hard to say which is worse - his acting or the movie itself.

Well, you're missing a good movie...

Harvey Keitel, Ray Liotta, Robert De Nero, Robert Patrick, and Stallone. Probably his best role since it plays to his strengths... kind of slow...

The movie Cobras accomplishment, was it was actually dumber and even more unrealistic than Rambo

Cobra was HILARIOUS!!!!

Most entertaining movie ever.

Although many in the theater got pissed when I kept bursting out laughing.... they were taking it seriously...

We watched it last night. The last time I had saw the movie was probably the early 80s.
It honestly hasn't aged well. Sylvester Stallone overacted the character to the point of being comical.
The best acting in the movie was honestly Burt Young playing Paulie. Great job playing his character.
But there is a reason Sylvester Stallone was never a great actor. Because... he isn't.
I agree.

When I saw it when it first came out I thought it was a good movie.

However, it is close to being unwatchable nowadays. You are right, it did not age well.

I think one of the problems is that when the movie first came out Stallone was somewhat of a fresh face. Now we view his character of Rocky in light of all the cheesy stupid roles Stallone has played since.

He got that from a Nixon quote during the infamous Frost interviews that spelled the end of Richard Nixon.
Nixon said "If the President does it, then that means it isn't illegal".
Every media outlet in existence twisted those words and said that Nixon said "I am the law".
He didn't say that, but the reaction was the same as if he did.

I agree
Stallone is a lousy actor
His real talent is selling movie tickets

Rocky was made in 1975 in Philadelphia. Street scenes, dress, language, expressions, scripting, choice of film, and music, was all of that era. So it is only natural that nearly 50 years latter the move is going to be dated and it is not going to age well. The only movies that really age well are movies that made to age well. For example, if a movie is shot in an older home with antiques and contemporary furnishings, costuming chosen so it is always in style, background music is classical, and the script does not refer to any current day happenings; such a movie made this way will seem new and modern for many decades.

I enjoy some old movies that don't age well because it shows life as it was 50, 75, or 100 years ago.

Last edited:
Rocky was made in 1975 in Philadelphia. Street scenes, dress, language, expressions, scripting, choice of film, and music, was all of that era. So it is only natural that nearly 50 years latter the move is going to be dated and it is not going to age well. The only movies that really age well are movies that made to age well. For example, if a movie is shot in an older home with antiques and contemporary furnishings, costuming chosen so it is always in style, background music is classical, and the script does not refer to any current day happenings; such a movie made this way will seem new and modern for many decades.

I enjoy some old movies that don't age well because it shows life as it was 50, 75, or 100 years ago.
I think the reason that Rocky didn’t age well has nothing to do with settings and costumes.
Watching it again, it just seems so corny. The dialogue is just unrealistic and the characters are cartoonish

'Rocky' was an amazing film. I might even squeak it into my Top Ten of all-time. The acting was actually terrific with a phenomenal screenplay. It's pretty much the only film (plus the sequel) Sylvester Stallone does a good job acting. For me the highlight was Burgess Meredith playing Mickey. He knocked it out of the park. One of my 2 favorite movie characters in film history.

From Wiki - The film received critical acclaim toward Stallone's writing, performance, the story, as well as the film's direction, score, cinematography and editing; among other accolades, it received ten Academy Award nominations and won three, including Best Picture. It has been ranked by numerous publications as one of the greatest films of all time, as well as one of the most iconic sports films ever.

I think the reason that Rocky didn’t age well has nothing to do with settings and costumes.
Watching it again, it just seems so corny. The dialogue is just unrealistic and the characters are cartoonish
I listen to an awfully lot of corny dialog in relative new movies, and a lot great dialog in movies made long ago. Corny movies with unrealism dialog are pretty common and I don't think that has much to do with how well they age. Avatar which is a great movie with a rather dumb script will probably age well.

Movies that age well are movies that have themes that appeal to all generations. Rocky appeals to people because it is the age old story of fighting for the impossible dream and achieving it. Citizen Kane is timeless because it is based on the biblical theme of gaining the whole world and losing one's sole. Actually there are several themes at work in this movie.

Examples of movies that have not age well:
Arthur, a movie with a great sound track which is funny if you don't take it seriously. Today Alcoholism is not consider funny anymore. The message that over indulgence is funny and acceptable does not play well today
Around the World in 80 days an academy award winner whose theme was traveling around world showing it's great wonders and beauty is just not of any interest. Times have change, seeing an overly long travelogue would be an arduous journey that most people would not wants to take.
Grease, a favorite of older folks because of the music and dance. However the movie was made for young people by younger people. It was a look at high school through rose colored glasses. It's theme is high school is a wonderful happy experience, no wonder it holds little interest for the younger generation.

Rocky is not realist because movies are never really realistic. They resonate with human emotions, such as love and rejection, happiness, and sadness, fear and excitement, achievement and failure but they are never realist. We know all too well what realism is in our lives and we go to the movies to escapee it. When you hear someone say that was a great movie. That was because it touched there emotions, not their intellect.

This reminds me of movie scene I just watched. It was in the Music Man where Robert Preston meets with Shirley Jones in a very romantic setting on a footbridge. They kiss and Shirley sings a beautiful rendition of Till There Was You. At the end of the song they kiss again, and the water below the foot bridge ripples as two lovers hold each other in an embrace and the scene ends. The reality that movie goers don't see is quite different. At end of the kiss, Shirley who is several months pregnant and suffers from terrible morning sickness vomits all over her beautiful dress and Robert Preston. This is reality and it's also great acting and movie making.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back