If You Like Your Healthcare Plan You Can Keep it.

Meister

Diamond Member
Gold Supporting Member
Jan 15, 2009
Conservative part of the Northwest
Wasn't all that long ago when we all heard Obama package his healthcare debacle as, "If you like your healthcare plan you can keep it". Not to mention Nan' Pelosi stating that we had to pass the Bill to see what's in it. Well, I guess we are just starting to see it, and it's not looking too well these days. One mandate has been pushed off until after the elections because the democrats fear another 2010 type of ass whipping at the polls. Democrats admitting that it's a train wreck.
But, let's get back to the title of this thread....."If you like your healthcare plan you can keep it".
Look what is happening in Ca.

Second major health insurer pulls out of California market

United Healthcare's decision to exit the California individual health insurance market is bad news for consumers," said Commissioner Jones. "While both United Healthcare and Aetna have a very small share of California's individual health insurance market, their departure means less choice, less competition, and more market consolidation by the remaining big three health insurers - Anthem Blue Cross, Blue Shield of California, and Kaiser - which means an increased likelihood of even higher prices from those health insurers downstream."

"One of the factors I believe contributed to this decision, even if the two companies are disinclined to acknowledge it, is the special tax break that California law gives to Anthem Blue Cross and Blue Shield, which has allowed and continues to allow those two companies to avoid paying $100 million in state taxes a year," added Commissioner Jones. "Aetna and United Healthcare don't get the special tax break provided to Anthem Blue Cross and Blue Shield, and so they faced a major competitive disadvantage in California."

Aetna had approximately 60,000 people covered by individual policies as of March 31, 2013, and it projects it will have approximately 50,000 people covered by individual policies at the end of 2013, when the company exits the individual market. United Healthcare, through its subsidiary PacifiCare, had approximately 10,000 individual policyholders late in 2012. Policyholders from both companies have been informed they can keep their existing health insurance until December 31, 2013. Aetna and United Healthcare policyholders will be able to purchase health insurance from other health insurers inside and outside the new California health benefits exchange.
Second major health insurer pulls out of California market

Obamacare is picking and choosing who succeeds and who fails. This is the quintessential example of why government should keep out of the private sector.

Last edited:
... One mandate has been pushed off until after the elections because the democrats fear another 2010 type of ass whipping at the polls. ...

The Democrats weren't beaten in 2012. In fact, Democratic candidates for the House got over a million more votes than Republican candidates, they increased their majority in the Senate and held the Presidency. Why do you think two more years to enjoy the benefits of PPACA will make their results worse?

Let's not forget that if you like your insurance and keep it then you can also count on paying a lot more for it.
Rate Shock: In California, Obamacare To Increase Individual Health Insurance Premiums By 64-146% - Forbes
snip,
Rate Shock: In California, Obamacare To Increase Individual Health Insurance Premiums By 64-146%
Ohio Dept. Of Insurance: Obamacare To Increase Individual-Market Health Premiums By 88 Percent - Forbes
Snip,
Ohio Dept. Of Insurance: Obamacare To Increase Individual-Market Health Premiums By 88 Percent
So much for "Affordable Care Act".

... One mandate has been pushed off until after the elections because the democrats fear another 2010 type of ass whipping at the polls. ...

The Democrats weren't beaten in 2012. In fact, Democratic candidates for the House got over a million more votes than Republican candidates, they increased their majority in the Senate and held the Presidency. Why do you think two more years to enjoy the benefits of PPACA will make their results worse?

The bill wasn't labeled a train wreck by a democrat in 2012. Everyone is getting wiser with the actual details, and it still hasn't been sold to the public.....they ain't buying it, if you catch the pun.

The bill wasn't labeled a train wreck by a democrat in 2012. Everyone is getting wiser with the actual details, and it still hasn't been sold to the public.....they ain't buying it, if you catch the pun.

You're right. It hasn't been sold to the public. The campaign is starting now. By January, the situation will be much different than it is now.

Let's not forget that if you like your insurance and keep it then you can also count on paying a lot more for it.
Rate Shock: In California, Obamacare To Increase Individual Health Insurance Premiums By 64-146% - Forbes
snip,
Rate Shock: In California, Obamacare To Increase Individual Health Insurance Premiums By 64-146%
Ohio Dept. Of Insurance: Obamacare To Increase Individual-Market Health Premiums By 88 Percent - Forbes
Snip,
Ohio Dept. Of Insurance: Obamacare To Increase Individual-Market Health Premiums By 88 Percent
So much for "Affordable Care Act".
Why, Mr. Alan. With all the contributions Demmie Congresscritters are getting from their supporters, in their lives everything is more affordable. The masses they devastated financially on their way to wealth, however, will I'm sure be explained away on silver tongue.

You're right. It hasn't been sold to the public. The campaign is starting now. By January, the situation will be much different than it is now.
Well then, there is no need to put the mandate off until 2015.....right? :rolleyes:
They couldn't sell it the first time around and they aren't doing it this time around....haven't you been reading the papers? Baukus, a democrat, has said that this is a train wreck. They just gave a grant to have 1,000,000 set aside to have students try and sell it.
There are parts of the Bill that has already gone through the money for the entire year, and now they're pushing the time line back for businesses. Looking for that pie-in-the-sky?

Last edited:
"One of the factors I believe contributed to this decision, even if the two companies are disinclined to acknowledge it, is the special tax break that California law gives to Anthem Blue Cross and Blue Shield, which has allowed and continues to allow those two companies to avoid paying $100 million in state taxes a year," added Commissioner Jones. "Aetna and United Healthcare don't get the special tax break provided to Anthem Blue Cross and Blue Shield, and so they faced a major competitive disadvantage in California."

Are we to take your bolding of this paragraph to mean you agree that California tax law is the primary reason for this?

Well then, there is no need to put the mandate off until 2015.....right?

No, not right. They deferred implementation because of the administrative burden. Employers said they need more time and the Obama Administration gave it to them.

This was not done for political reasons. It was done because the ACA is complex and doing it right takes time.

Wasn't all that long ago when we all heard Obama package his healthcare debacle as, "If you like your healthcare plan you can keep it".

And that it would cost less than a trillion dollars. :doubt:

Lying sacks of shit.

Well then, there is no need to put the mandate off until 2015.....right?

No, not right. They deferred implementation because of the administrative burden. Employers said they need more time and the Obama Administration gave it to them.

This was not done for political reasons. It was done because the ACA is complex and doing it right takes time.

Riiiiiight, that's it. Or, maybe it really is a train wreck just like what Baukus stated.

Are we to take your bolding of this paragraph to mean you agree that California tax law is the primary reason for this?

Poor deflection, greenbeard. I thought that somebody that was paid to do this would have a better response, I was wrong. :eusa_whistle:

Poor deflection, greenbeard. I thought that somebody that was paid to do this would have a better response, I was wrong. :eusa_whistle:

You bolded that! How can I "deflect" to the part of the article you emphasized?

At least learn what words mean before trying to use them. :tongue:

You bolded that! How can I "deflect" to the part of the article you emphasized?

At least learn what words mean before trying to use them. :tongue:

My point was and still is, now that this debacle with your ever so beloved obamacare is starting to flame this is what you come up with? Obamacare is your bread and butter, dude. :lol:

My point was and still is, now that this debacle with your ever so beloved obamacare is starting to flame this is what you come up with?

If that was your point, why did you bold and increase the font size of the part of the article attributing United's decision to California's tax code?

I'm not even sure what the connection to Obamacare is supposed to be here.

My point was and still is, now that this debacle with your ever so beloved obamacare is starting to flame this is what you come up with?

If that was your point, why did you bold and increase the font size of the part of the article attributing United's decision to California's tax code?

I'm not even sure what the connection to Obamacare is supposed to be here.

Of course you don't see the point, your the paid shill..... if there was no Obamacare there still would be Aetna and United Healthcare. Ca. is playing right along to what the ACA wanted, to start the weeding out of competition by giving tax preference to those they want to succeed.

PS. I've noticed you're avoiding getting into the threads about the administration moving the implementation of some of the mandates, greenbeard. Are you waiting for your talking points to be handed to you?:lol:

Last edited:
Aetna and United Healthcare currently insure millions in California, they are just opted out of the individual policies. The decision to delay the mandate for businesses is bs for all those people that now must get it on their own.

How anyone can support a Republican state that refuses to expand Medicaid, won't raise their minimum wage limit and still says they care about their citizens must love being abused.

Forum List

Back