If You Like the High Beef Prices, You'll love What's Coming Next

Who among us doesn't love to pay $15+/lb for a steak at the grocery store?
With current beef cattle inventories at the lowest level since 1962 (US population <182 million), the prices have nowhere to go but up. And then up higher again.

Drought conditions, high fuel costs & fertilizer shortages combined with massive increases in the prices of feed & hay caused much of the reduction.
Here in OK, many of the ranchers faced the same circumstances & we were forced to cull herds just to get the remaining ones through the winter with enough feed.

The current inventory shortages will really hit your wallets over the next few years.
Is everybody ready for those $12 Big Macs?

The prices we get as ranchers has barely gone up at all so far so the price of raising beef for market makes it almost impossible to turn a profit.
Just like with the farmers, these conditions are not sustainable & may force independents like myself to make some hard choices.

In the last 2 years, my costs on round bales have risen >250% while cattle feed is up about 30%, my herd is down over 50% & I'm seriously considering just keeping enough to raise for family & friends.

University of Kentucky’s Kenny Burdine and James Mitchell, extension livestock economist for the University of Arkansas System Division of Agriculture, recently explained that “There was no question that the beef cow herd had gotten smaller” and that the cattle production’s downward trend does not seem like it will reverse in 2023.”

“There is a pretty substantial biological lag in the beef supply chain,” Mitchell noted. “What consumers experience at the grocery store is a product of what cattle producers were going through a year or two ago. It takes about two years for a new calf to become the steak on your dinner plate.”

You are where I get my meat -- from a friend whom I trust to raise the animal right.

Hang in there and do your business with those who appreciate you. We are here.

I can see it how it is pretty much everyday at work, but I appreciate the link anyway. Sometimes when they know people are getting fed up they release misinformation to pacify them. It's called normalization, making people think what was formerly perverse is now okay. Much of it is regional too. Believe me, prices have not decreased in my neck of the woods.

USDA report? Remember, the government and Big Business are in on this together.

Who among us doesn't love to pay $15+/lb for a steak at the grocery store?
With current beef cattle inventories at the lowest level since 1962 (US population <182 million), the prices have nowhere to go but up. And then up higher again.

Drought conditions, high fuel costs & fertilizer shortages combined with massive increases in the prices of feed & hay caused much of the reduction.
Here in OK, many of the ranchers faced the same circumstances & we were forced to cull herds just to get the remaining ones through the winter with enough feed.

The current inventory shortages will really hit your wallets over the next few years.
Is everybody ready for those $12 Big Macs?

The prices we get as ranchers has barely gone up at all so far so the price of raising beef for market makes it almost impossible to turn a profit.
Just like with the farmers, these conditions are not sustainable & may force independents like myself to make some hard choices.

In the last 2 years, my costs on round bales have risen >250% while cattle feed is up about 30%, my herd is down over 50% & I'm seriously considering just keeping enough to raise for family & friends.

University of Kentucky’s Kenny Burdine and James Mitchell, extension livestock economist for the University of Arkansas System Division of Agriculture, recently explained that “There was no question that the beef cow herd had gotten smaller” and that the cattle production’s downward trend does not seem like it will reverse in 2023.”

“There is a pretty substantial biological lag in the beef supply chain,” Mitchell noted. “What consumers experience at the grocery store is a product of what cattle producers were going through a year or two ago. It takes about two years for a new calf to become the steak on your dinner plate.”

I warned folks on this very forum that this was coming. It was unavoidable when in this past summers drought ranchers sent practically their whole herds to slaughter. We enjoyed some cheaper beef for a hot minute. Well, that minute is up...

I can see it how it is pretty much everyday at work, but I appreciate the link anyway. Sometimes when they know people are getting fed up they release misinformation to pacify them. It's called normalization, making people think what was formerly perverse is now okay. Much of it is regional too. Believe me, prices have not decreased in my neck of the woods.

USDA report? Remember, the government and Big Business are in on this together.
Conspiracy theory much? I think you see what you want to see. We are certainly down from the highs of a year and a half ago in almost all categories. It can be expected that loins and ribeyes will be increasing as restaurant traffic continues to pick up. But ground beef is certainly down from the highs and down from last year. A significant drop in short ribs, probably due a decline in the Asian market. And pork ribs, dropping like a lead balloon because of inflated inventories. In fact, almost all pork drops as demand backs off in the winter. Boneless pork loins can be scored for $1.99 a pound, a price from five years ago.

Conspiracy theory much? I think you see what you want to see. We are certainly down from the highs of a year and a half ago in almost all categories. It can be expected that loins and ribeyes will be increasing as restaurant traffic continues to pick up. But ground beef is certainly down from the highs and down from last year. A significant drop in short ribs, probably due a decline in the Asian market. And pork ribs, dropping like a lead balloon because of inflated inventories. In fact, almost all pork drops as demand backs off in the winter. Boneless pork loins can be scored for $1.99 a pound, a price from five years ago.

Don't jump the gun. All I said was that meat prices are NOT coming down around here. As for your USDA report, corporations lie and misrepresent data all the time. So do university professors and politicians. That's a fact, Jack. And corporations and the government are frequently bedmates. Another fact. It's simply dishonest marketing. Why does this represent some kind of X-Files mentality for you?

Forum List

Back