If you disagree with a government program, are you forbidden to use it?

I do find it completely bullshit for people that whine all the time about taxes, thinking they get to determine what their tax money should go to. THey benefit from some gov't things that is funded by taxpayer money, but they want to prevent things that other's use. or they think becuase they pay taxes they should get to determine where the money goes and what programs are or are not worthy of taxpayer money.

And in your opinion, who should decide where tax money goes?

I wish the teabaggers who got tax refunds last year would donate that money to me.

On what basis? Refund means it was their money to begin with. Why should they give you any?

Because I found it ironic. At the same exact time they were bitching about Obama raising taxes, they were getting refunds.

Since they hate Obama's policies so damn much, I say put their money where their mouths are by giving that money away.

Hypocrites.

Works for me. I'm against being forced to pay taxes to educate kids who aren't mine.. so forbid me to use public schools. Go ahead whydonchya?
The public paid for your education or some portion that contributed to your education. You don't get to opt out for paying for someone else's kid.

well dayyyyyyyyyum,, I thought that was the topic of this here threaaad,, :lol:

Of course they were getting refunds of their own money. They had too much taken away before, they get a small amount back, and you begrudge them even that? Its theirs.

This attitude of "Whats yours is mine, and what is mine is mine" makes us wonder

I think the OP missed the mark just a slight bit on the whole Beck/Library criticism. Jon Stewart does a good job of explaining it.

Of course they were getting refunds of their own money. They had too much taken away before, they get a small amount back, and you begrudge them even that? Its theirs.

This attitude of "Whats yours is mine, and what is mine is mine" makes us wonder

I don't care about the little guys, I am more concerned with both Bush tax cuts for the rich. I find the tea bagger hilarious when they bitched about higher taxes while simultaneously getting tax cuts.

You don't see the irony of that?

I don't care about the little guys, I am more concerned with both Bush tax cuts for the rich. I find the tea bagger hilarious when they bitched about higher taxes while simultaneously getting tax cuts.

You said refunds.
No I don't.
The money is theirs. YOu may not like how much they have, or how they earned it. You may think they don't deserve it. (How you deserve your paycheck is an interesting question too, if we want to go that route.) They want to keep what they have the same I want to keep what is mine.

As to the original post, I don't think I missed anything. Beck helps pay for the library. Even if he didn't like the concept, he should still get benefit of its use. If you are compelled to pay for something you don't like, you still paid for it.

You said refunds.
No I don't.
The money is theirs. YOu may not like how much they have, or how they earned it. You may think they don't deserve it. (How you deserve your paycheck is an interesting question too, if we want to go that route.) They want to keep what they have the same I want to keep what is mine.

As to the original post, I don't think I missed anything. Beck helps pay for the library. Even if he didn't like the concept, he should still get benefit of its use. If you are compelled to pay for something you don't like, you still paid for it.

I dont understand how beck can enjoy himself in a building that represents everything he hates about the government.

I wish the teabaggers who got tax refunds last year would donate that money to me.

On what basis? Refund means it was their money to begin with. Why should they give you any?

Because I found it ironic. At the same exact time they were bitching about Obama raising taxes, they were getting refunds.

Since they hate Obama's policies so damn much, I say put their money where their mouths are by giving that money away.

Hypocrites.

If the above post is representative of what our education dollars are producing, then we're getting screwed. :eusa_whistle:

Last edited:
Where do you get the idea that Beck disapproves of libraries? What basis is there for this off the wall assertion?

For the record, considering Beck's change of ideology views since he jumped ship to Fox, it's become quite clear that the guy just says whatever is needed to make his audience happy. At the end of the day, the two sides will be arguing each other while he's rolling around in a safe full of money. Much like Scrooge McDuck.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=34Sb0hGUNIQ]YouTube - Duck Tales[/ame]

Hypocrites.

If the above post is representative of what are education dollars are producing, then we're getting screwed. :eusa_whistle:

That is the one inescapable conclusion to the whole discussion.

Hypocrites.

If the above post is representative of what are education dollars are producing, then we're getting screwed. :eusa_whistle:

That is the one inescapable conclusion to the whole discussion.

Are libraries privately owned or run by BIG GOVERNMENT? lol

It is just inescapable that some services, either because of price or whatever other reason, have to be government services. The army is run by the government. I don't think there are too many folks who want to have private rental armies roaming around, no matter how fond you are of the 2nd amendment.

Like wise police forces and judges are government functions.

Does any rational person have an issue with the idea that the government should have a monopoly on these things? Do you think Beck is so totally whacked out that he thinks there should be no government services at all?

Now, the efficiency of government at providing the services it does provide leaves a lot to be desired. Washington actually has privatized some DMV services. People up there don't complain about the DMV as much as we do down here in Oregon. There are counties that have privatized jail services. It saves money, there are fewer problems. I wouldn't dream of it my self, if it hadn't been done and done better than the counties can do.
Government services, like waging wars, locking up criminals, etc etc. should be done by government. Some services are deemed of such value that the government provides them for free, such as parks, playgrounds, libraries, schools. Even then, though, private industry is able to compete in the areas of parks and schools, charging money for what the government provides for 'free' because the level of service is what you pay for.

Things private industry does better should be left in private hands. Especially since government usually does pretty badly at what is is supposed to do, why it should get into areas that are really not in its purview to do badly there as well, I have no idea.

Since I think Obamacare is an Obamination, does that mean you think I should be denied medical care if it is taken over?

Hypocrites.
Federal taxes for cigarettes for smokers went up $1 per pack.

I evade all taxes on stupid.

NO lottery for me either.

The Oregon lottery is one of the slimiest in the country. But they use the money to build bike paths, which I use.

So I am grateful to all of Oregon's morons. They actually do me some good.

We need to come up with a name to call people who use the term "tea bagger" in practically every post they make.

We need to come up with a name to call people who use the term "tea bagger" in practically every post they make.

Teabots?

An interesting argument over the local tax effects of Obamacare degenerated into a weird slanging match over Glen Beck using a public library.

I don't believe Beck has ever said anything about public libraries, except that he uses them. I would imagine with his income he can buy a house, the taxes on which would support a nice library. Plus other taxes he would pay into the local taxing authority for other amenities.

Let us accept for the moment the weird proposition that libraries are a useful private businesses that all the local governments have nationalized. With funds from all the taxpayers. I think this argument is silly, but lets run with it.

Lets also assume that Beck has a beef with the idea of publicly funded libraries. He hasn't said that either, as far as I am aware.

How is it that someone who pays for something should not get it because he opposed it. Since he is paying for it, isn't he just as, or even more so, entitled to use the amenity than someone who thought it a great idea, put contributes nothing toward it but some warmth on the seats in the reading room?

This kind of relates to the stimulus bill that wasn't. There are many representatives that did not WANT this huge spending bill---BUT--got it shoved at them anyway. They have to pay it back--so why wouldn't they use it? Why would anyone who was "forced" to pay for something they didn't really want--not take it.

Forum List

Back