Proof Newcons don't pay attention

MaggieMae

Reality bits
Apr 3, 2009
Poll: Only 12% of Americans think federal taxes were cut in 2009
February 16, 2:59 AM

According to a CBS News/New York Times poll released last weekend, only 12 percent of respondents think that their federal taxes were reduced under the Obama administration. Twice as many respondents think that their federal taxes have increased.

The results come despite President Obama stating in the State of the Union address, in no uncertain terms, "We cut taxes for 95 percent of working families. We cut taxes for small businesses. We cut taxes for first-time homebuyers. We cut taxes for parents trying to care for their children. We cut taxes for 8 million Americans paying for college."

And despite Obama reiterating that message on national television in an interview with CBS anchor Katie Couric on Super Bowl Sunday when he said, "we put $300 billion worth of tax cuts into people's pockets so that there was demand and businesses had customers."

The results of this poll can only lead to one of two mutually exclusive conclusions: Either the President is lying to the American people about tax cuts, or 88 percent of the respondents of this poll are incorrect and misinformed.

<snip>

A more plausible explanation may be that "talk of raising taxes in the future clouded the landscape." CBS and the Times may be on to something with that statement. But who's responsible for clouding the landscape? Look no further than mainstream media.

That would be the same media outlets that cover the so-called grassroots "teabagger" movement that laments about excessive government spending and high taxes. The same media outlets that give Sarah Palin credibility as a spokesperson for the movement, and give has-beens like Dick and Liz Cheney more air time than the people in the current administration. Yes, that would include CBS, The New York Times, ABCNNBCFOX and all corporate-owned media.

The problem is not so much what corporate media covers...it's what is not covered.

<snip>

If one listens to the right-wing and corporate media, it may put them in the 22 percent that think your federal taxes are going up. If one cares not to listen, they will probably be in the 53 percent that think everything remains the same. If you look at the facts that are out there and ignore what pundits and the media tells you, you may end up in the 12 percent that actually realize your federal taxes were lowered, while all that "reckless" spending may have helped some people around you.

For more info:

Poll Reveals Most Americans Don't Know They Got a Tax Cut - Political Hotsheet - CBS News
Transcript: Obama's first State of the Union speech - CNN.com
Couric Exclusive Interview with President Obama - CBS News Video
The American Recovery and Reinvestment Tax Act of 2009: AMT Patch, Conference Report, Distribution of Federal Tax Change by Cash Income Percentile, 2009
Tax Proposals in the 2010 Budget
http://www.taxpolicycenter.org/UploadedPDF/411849_2010_budget.pdf
Florida slow to spend stimulus: By year's end, only 15 percent used - OrlandoSentinel.com
Employment Situation Summary

Poll: Only 12% of Americans think federal taxes were cut in 2009

Forum policy on copyright and fair use, to be found HERE, prohibit posting pieces in their entirety.

Please edit this or I'll do it for you.

~Dude

Most walked away with 13 a week more in their paycheck......and with the increase in local state and city taxes, many still walked away with less in their paycheck.

People care about what they see and feel....they do not always believe what they hear.

Or

We could simply say that conservatives have lied so much that people believe them.

That is something you seem to enjoy believing....so go for it.

Oh...and by the way....it is called the Tea Party Movement....not the tea bagger movement.

But many think it is called the tea bagger movement.....I wonder why that is.......

Hypocrite.....go on your merry way maggie....after you accused me of not being compassionate for the less fortunate I have realized you are not worth listening to.

Last edited:
Nobody cares about that graph s0n................

THIS is the only graph that matters politically these days!!!!

obama_budget_deficit_chart.jpg

s0n..............this is the definition of being PWNED!!!!!:oops:

Most walked away with 13 a week more in their paycheck......and with the increase in local state and city taxes, many still walked away with less in their paycheck.

People care about what they see and feel....they do not always believe what they here.

Or

We could simply say that conservatives have lied so much that people believe them.

__

You are quite right - the Obama tax cuts were so minor in nature overall, as to go largely unnoticed, particularly in light of increased costs elsewhere.

And since January 1, those very minimal payroll deductions are now gone, and folks are noticing less money in their paychecks.

The economy is attempting to right itself in spite of Obama and the liberal Democrat leadership - though the recovery is proving far more shallow and slow due to Obamanomics...

misleading thread title

it is not just conservatives

what i truly find intriguing is democrats railed against bush's tax cuts, but then support obama's tax cuts....and have these taxes actually been realized yet? what exactly are these tax cuts?

misleading thread title

what i truly find intriguing is democrats railed against bush's tax cuts, but then support obama's tax cuts....and have these taxes actually been realized yet? what exactly are these tax cuts?

The fake "tax cuts" were downward adjustments in withholding. You could get the same "tax cut" by increasing the number of dependents on your W-4.

People care about what they see and feel....they do not always believe what they here.

Or

__

You are quite right - the Obama tax cuts were so minor in nature overall, as to go largely unnoticed, particularly in light of increased costs elsewhere.

And since January 1, those very minimal payroll deductions are now gone, and folks are noticing less money in their paychecks.

The economy is attempting to right itself in spite of Obama and the liberal Democrat leadership - though the recovery is proving far more shallow and slow due to Obamanomics...

And I find it troubling that the poll takers, analyzers, and publishers left that out....afterall, that is the EXACT reason why people do not believe taxes were cut....

I mean...I am not a poll taker....but that is not rocket science......13 tax decrease, 15 local tax increase....people see no tax cut.

Oh wait....was it a NYT pooll?

ahhh....never mind.

Or

__

And I find it troubling that the poll takers, analyzers, and publishers left that out....afterall, that is the EXACT reason why people do not believe taxes were cut....

I mean...I am not a poll taker....but that is not rocket science......13 tax decrease, 15 local tax increase....people see no tax cut.

ahhh....never mind.

___

Bingo - and as Dude correctly noted, the Obama cuts were not actually cuts but payroll deductions of a very minimal amount that are now gone. For nearly two months people are noticing a slight decrease in their salary, and increases in so many fees/taxes surrounding them that it is laughable to assume a poll would indicate people feeling as if they had a tax cut.

If Obama would simply come out in support of maintaining the Bush tax cuts permanently, as well as aggressive reductions in government spending, the economy would BOOM within weeks of such an announcement. Within months companies would be hiring, lenders would be lending, and ultimately, more taxes would be collected that could help to pay down the deficit.

But NO - what Obama wants is HIGHER TAXES, and BIGGER GOVERNMENT - a recipe for further economic disaster...

misleading thread title

The fake "tax cuts" were downward adjustments in withholding. You could get the same "tax cut" by increasing the number of dependents on your W-4.

so this is the tax cuts dems are running around proclaiming? thats it?

misleading thread title

so this is the tax cuts dems are running around proclaiming? thats it?

YUP - they weren't even real tax cuts. And they did NOTHING to actually spur economic recovery.

And those "cuts" are now of course, already long gone...

misleading thread title

And then pay Uncle Sam on April 15th when you can't claim as many. Yeah, makes sense. :cuckoo:

Or

__

ahhh....never mind.

The article clearly covered that fact as a possibility.

People care about what they see and feel....they do not always believe what they hear.

Or

Oh...and by the way....it is called the Tea Party Movement....not the tea bagger movement.

But many think it is called the tea bagger movement.....I wonder why that is.......

Hypocrite.....go on your merry way maggie....after you accused me of not being compassionate for the less fortunate I have realized you are not worth listening to.

$13.00 a week equals $55.00 per month, possibly some unemployed person's phone bill. It may seem like a pittance to you, but not to some who are literally counting nickels and dimes these days.

misleading thread title

And then pay Uncle Sam on April 15th when you can't claim as many. Yeah, makes sense. :cuckoo:
Of course it makes no sense....But that's how the administration claimed they doled out a "tax cut" to the hoi polloy.

misleading thread title

Yeah, damn those misleading headlines!! :mad:

Yeah...I went out and started buying whole gallons of milk instead of half gallons. That tax cut was HUGE bro!!

misleading thread title

Or...damn those misleading posters....:lol::lol::lol:

misleading thread title

I'm waiting to start hearing from those that find they are not getting as much back as they normally do. I wonder if they will think they had a tax cut?

I'm waiting to start hearing from those that find they are not getting as much back as they normally do. I wonder if they will think they had a tax cut?

I'm tired and bored. It's all explained here, but I don't expect anyone to grasp this, either.

No Second Stimulus Check in 2009 or 2010. $800/$400 Making Work Pay and $250 Social Security Tax Credits Instead. Eligibility and Missing Payments

While I realize that the negative responses were exactly what I expected from the usual crowd, I'm sincerely sorry that Obama wasn't able to give you all a $1,000 cash stimulus, a 50% reduction in your withholding, and increase your standard income tax exemptions to three times what it's been for the last five years. I'm so sorry that you couldn't find some place to spend $13.00 a week, although I'm sure it did buy you a nice sexy dvd instead of a gallon of milk. I'm sorry that Obama can't just build one central manufacturing plant using his own money that will put all the unemployed back to work producing widgets that China will ultimately undercut. I'm sorry that he can't circumvent some of that "hidden" money in the Federal Reserve and give you each a personal loan to build up your small business or buy yourselves a new home.

I'm sorry, but he really isn't The Messiah after all. If you've got one, please let me have his name, because he (or she) would have my vote too.

Forum List

Back