If You Can Help

Let me go dig first, hon. Still waiting for Zone 2 clearance...then I will go see. I hope the attic collapsed on top of my stuff..protecting it from extreme heat and flames...and therefore..not broken? But thank you thank you thank you for the offer. Just give me another week. Who knows..I might find my crystals, globes, etc in the muck!!

We can see MrGs toolbox in the pic of the burned house. So...if his tools survived...crystals are born of heat. Remember that crystal cave in Mexico? Hopefully mine tolerated it too.

And the damn air conditioner is sitting in the window too! Weird, eh?

Over in the coffeeshop, GallantWarrior was being very gallant again, so I responded to what he said and am now bringing that post here as an update with a cut and paste:

Y'all have done enough and I am every so thankful. We have spent a big chunk of the funds since Drifter started the GFM. Not much left now. But, the rent in the duplex is paid (got the keys and we move in tomorrow), paid the deposit, got two tvs, a monitor, the stuff for my pc since all I grabbed was the tower but not the cables, speakers, keyboard, mouse, etc...got clothes, paid for almost a month of motel fees that took a big ol chunk even though Anne did pay for some of it. Eating from a motel room is expensive too cuz there is no way to cook, so maybe thats why I feel so sick lately....fast food. But its cheap and I have been buying stuff as cheaply as I can. Also got the new tires and the starter fixed some weeks ago. In short...the help everyone gave us was gratefully used but its almost gone now. Gotta be even more careful now with what is left. Rent is more than at the other house and we are getting less for our money but...nobody, and certainly not us, thought we would lose it all in a damn fire.
Tomorrow starts a new beginning...and a cheap one at that. We gotta make this last grand stretch!

We are now in the apt! Its been a busy few days and I screwed up my back but it will get better soon. Lots of moving stuff, putting food away, and in general crappy Must Move This Stuff stuff, lol.
No pics yet cuz I wanna show you once things are totally done. Anne is buying rugs (ebay) for the living room, new drapes, etc...and I am the official decorator cuz she likes my style :).

Fridge is full, tvs are set up, beds are made. Just a very bald living room, For now. :)

Wow. How sweet of them to give us less than 24 hour notice that Zone 2 can now enter....but only from 9am today til 9am tomorrow. Got the notice at 8am. So we will have like 3 hours to go poke around up there. Gosh. How considerate. Everyone else was allowed in but zone 2. NOW we can..along with everyone else.

Im a bit peeved. Furniture is arriving today too. And 4 other people are following us to help us sift. And they are not here yet. We will be lucky to have those 3 hours to sift the rate this is going.:(

I lost a good ink pen a few months ago, see what you can do. Probably batted it under some furniture.

omg. Its worse than I thought. Nothing is salvagable. It was so hot..like lava. Utter destruction.

xgcx06.jpg

tah24j.jpg

Nothing. NOTHING. I did find one small vase. And one crystal that was in pieces...crystals, that are born in intense heat, couldn't handle that firestorm. Sigh. Nothing. And I keep remembering stuff. LIke Honey, my teddy bear that survived 62 years only to burn up. All gone. NOTHING. I wanted to weep...but I couldn't. All I could do was stare.

It also didn't help that the crews up there went around and knocked down all standing walls for safety measures. Which buried what MIGHT have survived. That is a cinder block brick house. Look at it. Its...destroyed. Ashes. The metal wheels on her three cars were melted...like pudding. MrGs tools in his tool box..craftsmans tools...melted like hot chocolate. That fire was so intense, I am wondering if it was not "helped" along for some nefarious reason. I mean...fire like that....the way it spread...its mind boggling that a forest fire could do that.

It also didn't help that the crews up there went around and knocked down all standing walls for safety measures. Which buried what MIGHT have survived. That is a cinder block brick house. Look at it. Its...destroyed. Ashes. The metal wheels on her three cars were melted...like pudding. MrGs tools in his tool box..craftsmans tools...melted like hot chocolate. That fire was so intense, I am wondering if it was not "helped" along for some nefarious reason. I mean...fire like that....the way it spread...its mind boggling that a forest fire could do that.

:( :(

2zekyux.jpg

That's it. Nothing more. All my stuff. And I thought some things survived thru that fire but I don't think anyone realized just how HOT it was. Including me. As I cleaned it...it smelled of sulfur. Neighbor guy came over and said he tried to wet the roof but the city cut off the water supply. He said her house burned so hot...it singed him even across the street.

2zekyux.jpg

That's it. Nothing more. All my stuff. And I thought some things survived thru that fire but I don't think anyone realized just how HOT it was. Including me. As I cleaned it...it smelled of sulfur. Neighbor guy came over and said he tried to wet the roof but the city cut off the water supply. He said her house burned so hot...it singed him even across the street.

So sorry Gracie. And it is okay to grieve and not feel guilty about it even amidst the blessing that you and Mr. G got out alive. So many didn't.

But how could your place burn like that in so hot a blaze while the house and trailer in the background of the photo don't even looked smoked, much less singed or burned?

But we might be able to take heart that the near proximity of the unburned forest would have provided an escape route for the critters that got left behind. We can hope.

Last edited:
So sorry Gracie. And it is okay to grieve and not feel guilty about it even amidst the blessing that you and Mr. G got out alive. So many didn't.

But how could your place burn like that in so hot a blaze while the house and trailer in the backgroundof the photo don't even looked smoked, much less singed or burned?

But we might be able to take heart that the near proximity of the unburned forest would have provided an escape route for the critters that got left behind. We can hope.

I figured the property owner had wrapped the house in order to reside it and was living in the trailer.

One of our USMB members has been a victim of the Paradise Camp fire and is now homeless. She's lost everything in the fire but some pets and is living in her van now. A member here discussed opening a GoFundMe campaign for her with a team invited to manage and edit the page. No one is obligated but if you would like to donate here is the link. All funds will go to her as she will be the one linking her own bank account to the page. We're talking about Gracie. Once again she is homeless. I know she would very much appreciate any help given.

The link:

Click here to support Paradise Camp Fire organized by Michelle Morrow
Not sure how I missed this but done.

The guys house that didnt burn, had no trees anywhere on his property. None. Zilch. No grass or lawn either. It was all rock and gravel. Smart man. Which is why his didn't burn.

But it was so surreal going up there and actually seeing it with my own eyes. Just WEIRD. Some houses burned..some businesses...and things right next to those places, pristine. Not one char. And it was like that in the whole town. Its like the fire was "led" to certain places....and ignored others. Just flat out weird. ALL of Hucka Lane and ALL of Wee Dell homes...burned. Thats where we were before we moved in with Anne. 5 houses down and around the corner. BOTH streets...and the houses..burned like Annes. Behind Anne and across the street....pristine.

And now I have a brand new worry. Will this never fucking end???? Anne has a new boyfriend. Old friend of hers and her now deceased husband. He is making noises for her to move in with him perhaps. But he doesn't want extra company (us). So if she does...then what? Where do we go next? I think we have a few months but I need at least a year until home calls. So now I stress over that. Sigh.

Forum List

Back