If you are not pissed off about this, Why not?

DGS49

Diamond Member
Apr 12, 2012
Pittsburgh
I recently wrote in another forum about the large number of retired teachers that one encounters on luxury cruises. This phenomenon is not surprising; indeed, it is predictable. Someone who retires in their early fifties (as most teachers do) will have a “healthy retirement” that is more than twice as long as for a normal working American, who retires at age 66 (the current SS retirement age for Boomers).

How did this phenomenon come about?

Well, teachers provide vital community services (teaching and babysitting), and they are the beneficiaries of collective bargaining, which in the public sector, is nothing more than a Kabuki Dance, intended to hide the massive theft that is going on.

Why is it "theft"? Because the people who “negotiate” with the teachers’ unions have NO VESTED INTEREST in the outcome of the negotiations. In fact, it is worse than that. The most of the “Managers” who generally negotiate with the teachers’ unions know that THEY will PERSONALLY reap the benefits that they bestow to the teachers in their negotiations, so they are incentivized to (a) make it look like they are negotiating as aggressively as possible, while (b) giving the teachers as much as possible.

And whereas in the Real World, essentially all employers have walked away from the insanity known as “defined benefit” pensions, in the public sector they are uniquitous. Of course they are.

So pretty much regardless of where you live in the U.S., public sector "managers" and politicians have entered into a BACK-BREAKING FINANCIAL COMMITMENT that YOU are required by law to meet, even though you had NO REPRESENTATION in the negotiations that resulted in those commitments. And your tax burden will be increased geometrically in the coming years (it has already started) to pay for these absurdly generous pensions – not to mention lifetime FREE healthcare for public sector retirees. And in most states, if you are a real estate owner, there is absolutely nothing you can do to avoid this colossal theft from your personal finances.

But the worst part of it is that today's legislatures are UNWILLING TO STOP THE INSANITY, even when it has become apparent that it will bankrupt every state in the union if it is allowed to continue. Even simple measures to convert NEW HIRES to a 401k-type plan - something that is UNIVERSAL for real working people - are political suicide for the politicians who dare mention their possibility.

If you are a normal, middle class American, the biggest threat to your retirement is not healthcare, or a market "correction," or global fucking warming. It is the tsunami of increasing state and local taxes that will be necessary to pay the GUARANTEED retirement and healthcare benefits of a giant army of people who - let's be honest - were too mediocre to go out and get a real job when they finished school.

If you are not pissed off about this, why not?

I'm not pissed because you are only stating one point of view and have not talked with teachers in the system now and how they are being screwed one side up the other.

Teachers PAY for their retirement....and yes, some comes from the employer like with everyone else.

they have had to increase the amount that they pay in to their retirement over the last decade or two....

My older sister is a teacher in Florida, and she has not had a raise in income for over 8 years now....no raise....sure they raised her salary a little with cost of living, but they then had to pay a higher percentage of income in to their retirements and for health care insurance....net net...the sis says she is actually making less than 8 years ago, they are in the same boat as everyone else.

She decided to retire this year, at 60, with 38 years of service and she gets 30k a year in retirement....which is nice, but in no way, does this make her rich.... it is a reduced amount from full retirement...if she waited till 65 it would have been a lot more money than the 30k but she can't stand being a teacher anymore and all of the State politics with it.

She can travel and do those cruises because her home mortgage is paid off, not because her retirement is a lot of money.

She has to pay $500 a month for her health care insurance coverage through the school's policy, they give her $150 a month for health care insurance suplement, so the sis has to pay $350 out of her own money, a month for her health insurance.

pay the GUARANTEED retirement and healthcare benefits of a giant army of people who - let's be honest - were too mediocre to go out and get a real job when they finished school.

Well, let's begin with, I'M pissed at YOU. That said,

Why should teachers, who are required to attend five years of college to start, and then complete ongoing continuing education throughout the course of their employment in order to keep their professional certification to teach (in my state, it is the equivalent of two college courses in the field every five years), NOT be given a decent paying job with good benefits? Are teachers the only state employees to get a pension? No. All government workers do--the guy who plows the snow and the worker who signs you up for Food Stamps, etc.
The only teachers I know who retired in their fifties were given massive incentives including improved health care coverage. You know why? Because they wanted to get rid of the well paid teachers at the top of the pay scale in order to hire young teachers who cost a lot less. Without unions, this would be done without hesitation in every school district.

You fuckin' know it all, try teaching--and I mean actually TEACHING something--for a year and tell me what a bunch of losers teachers are. You don't like unions? Fine. Take a look at what life for the average worker was prior to 1920. You want to live like that again?

I recently wrote in another forum about the large number of retired teachers that one encounters on luxury cruises. This phenomenon is not surprising; indeed, it is predictable. Someone who retires in their early fifties (as most teachers do) will have a “healthy retirement” that is more than twice as long as for a normal working American, who retires at age 66 (the current SS retirement age for Boomers).

How did this phenomenon come about?

Well, teachers provide vital community services (teaching and babysitting), and they are the beneficiaries of collective bargaining, which in the public sector, is nothing more than a Kabuki Dance, intended to hide the massive theft that is going on.

Why is it "theft"? Because the people who “negotiate” with the teachers’ unions have NO VESTED INTEREST in the outcome of the negotiations. In fact, it is worse than that. The most of the “Managers” who generally negotiate with the teachers’ unions know that THEY will PERSONALLY reap the benefits that they bestow to the teachers in their negotiations, so they are incentivized to (a) make it look like they are negotiating as aggressively as possible, while (b) giving the teachers as much as possible.

And whereas in the Real World, essentially all employers have walked away from the insanity known as “defined benefit” pensions, in the public sector they are uniquitous. Of course they are.

So pretty much regardless of where you live in the U.S., public sector "managers" and politicians have entered into a BACK-BREAKING FINANCIAL COMMITMENT that YOU are required by law to meet, even though you had NO REPRESENTATION in the negotiations that resulted in those commitments. And your tax burden will be increased geometrically in the coming years (it has already started) to pay for these absurdly generous pensions – not to mention lifetime FREE healthcare for public sector retirees. And in most states, if you are a real estate owner, there is absolutely nothing you can do to avoid this colossal theft from your personal finances.

But the worst part of it is that today's legislatures are UNWILLING TO STOP THE INSANITY, even when it has become apparent that it will bankrupt every state in the union if it is allowed to continue. Even simple measures to convert NEW HIRES to a 401k-type plan - something that is UNIVERSAL for real working people - are political suicide for the politicians who dare mention their possibility.

If you are a normal, middle class American, the biggest threat to your retirement is not healthcare, or a market "correction," or global fucking warming. It is the tsunami of increasing state and local taxes that will be necessary to pay the GUARANTEED retirement and healthcare benefits of a giant army of people who - let's be honest - were too mediocre to go out and get a real job when they finished school.

-I'm a teacher and in order to receive my full pension I can't retire until I'm 57 (not "early 50's")

-I run an online business that probably makes more than you do (and I run it part time now)

-I excel in all of my observations and my students consistently beat my district's average on exams/tests by at least 7% (no I don't work at an affluent white school either)

-I routinely grade and help kids before or after school (usually after)-that I don't get paid for and have no obligation to do-but I do it regardless

-I pay my property taxes as a homeowner just like everybody else does

-I pay into the retirement fund (pension plan) out of my taxes AND paycheck (yes they deduct a percentage of my check to cover it-it is NOT 100% funded by taxpayer money)

Do I agree with everything the union does? No. Do you want to know the biggest problems students at my school are facing: they have parents that will buy them $150 shoes but not buy them a notebook. The parents will show up to all of their kid's football or basketball games, but not teacher conference night. Their kids will literally beat the crap out of other kids, and they'll make excuses. I just had my largest turnout for conference night a few weeks ago...11 parents showed...out of 142 kids. That's pathetic. My district wont throw kids out of school-even if the "kids" are in gangs (mainly the Latin Kings at my school-a real gang, not wannabes), sell drugs, bring guns to school at times, etc. But they all deserve nine and ten 2nd chances (which doesn't make any sense mind you), because all kids are inherently good.

Are there shitty teachers out there? Of course. I promise you I know about them way more than you do. But there are shitty people in every line of work, and people who're great at what they do in every line of work.

My overall point is this: if you're going to hate something so much...why not at least do some research on it first, rather than believing what's being shoved down your throat?

Oh and first 3 year teachers in my district make $38K a year....yeah they're really raking in the dough aren't they? LOL

I'm not pissed or surprised about anything anymore because I realized our system is terminally corrupt top to bottom.

Knowing that is the case, might as well get as much as you can out of it.

Teachers negotiate contracts with salary and benefits
Retirement is one of those benefits

Cut salary and benefits and you will attract lower qualified applicants to become teachers. You get what you pay for

Forum List

Back