If there is a God...

MPS777

Oct 20, 2017
I just read an article from NASA which is partially the inspiration behind this topic:
WMAP- Fate of the Universe
It would seem to suggest that given enough time, all life in the known universe will most likely essentially “freeze” to death.
Now as a preface to this topic I suppose I should set some “assumptions” that I’m making. Let’s say that billions or more years ago, some supremely powerful conscious being created all the particles that exist along with all the rules that govern them; and that being is God.

Given all the messed up stuff that can happen to people, and has happened to people throughout history, and that existence will probably fade into frozen nothingness eventually; I’m having a hard time believing that “God” actually “cares” about us that much. Now I know that most people are good, but I think that’s mostly because it’s evolutionarily advantageous to be “good”. I think I have an innate empathy and conscientiousness for others because that is a trait that fosters cooperation; and human cooperation is a competitive advantage. Simply survival of the fittest.

So I guess I’m going to pose this question to you all: If there is a God (as outlined above) is there any evidence it really cares about you or my well being at a personal level?

And of course you have to get to, 'which god' are you talking about. There are thousands worshiped by humans currently. And each person sees their god as 'the' god.

So I guess I’m going to pose this question to you all: If there is a God (as outlined above) is there any evidence it really cares about you or my well being at a personal level?

I don't know about your life. Six incidents in my own life immediately sprang to mind that point to the actuality of God greatly caring for individuals on a deeply personal level.

I suspect what you want is the answer to, "How can I make God perform like that in my own life--and no later than day after tomorrow?"

If there is a God (as outlined above) is there any evidence it really cares about you or my well being at a personal level?

The problem with trying to apply scientific principles to something as esoteric as faith is problematic. First of all, we can only define 'caring' from a human perspective.

Take evolution for example. It's a wonderfully elegant system than can cause inorganic compounds to become organic molecules, that eventually achieve sentience and question the nature of their existence in only a few Billion years. But, a key component of the evolutionary process is death. Without death on a massive scale the process of natural selection cannot function. Mass waves of extinction, even human extinction, may be a necessary component to G-d's care.

Next, while we like to think of ourselves and our culture as being at its zenith. The fact is, as a species, our science is still in its infancy. We've only had a scientific method for a few hundred years. The principles of science are still profoundly skewed by cultural conventions, personal hubris, political intervention, and just plain stubbornness. We have an extremely myopic, parochial view of the universe limited by three dimensions and an ability to only detect certain forms of matter and energy.

Shakespeare said it best when he said, 'There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy.'

The fact is, we honestly don't know the true nature of our infinite universe or what powers that we might very well consider supernatural exist in it.

While the belief in a beneficent G-d who influences the fall of every sparrow is almost certainly not the case. Anyone can be forgiven in believing in a supernatural being who has concern for, but doesn't always demonstrate to our satisfaction, the human race.

I just read an article from NASA which is partially the inspiration behind this topic:
It would seem to suggest that given enough time, all life in the known universe will most likely essentially “freeze” to death.
Now as a preface to this topic I suppose I should set some “assumptions” that I’m making. Let’s say that billions or more years ago, some supremely powerful conscious being created all the particles that exist along with all the rules that govern them; and that being is God.

Given all the messed up stuff that can happen to people, and has happened to people throughout history, and that existence will probably fade into frozen nothingness eventually; I’m having a hard time believing that “God” actually “cares” about us that much. Now I know that most people are good, but I think that’s mostly because it’s evolutionarily advantageous to be “good”. I think I have an innate empathy and conscientiousness for others because that is a trait that fosters cooperation; and human cooperation is a competitive advantage. Simply survival of the fittest.

If a ‘god’ did exist as an omnipotent deity, then it would have no ‘needs,’ and no capacity to ‘care.’

That’s why there is no ‘god’ as perceived by theists.

I don't know about your life. Six incidents in my own life immediately sprang to mind that point to the actuality of God greatly caring for individuals on a deeply personal level.

I suspect what you want is the answer to, "How can I make God perform like that in my own life--and no later than day after tomorrow?"
Anthropomorphic fallacy.

A deity with human attributes is not omnipotent, not a 'god' – it is consequently unworthy of worship and devoid of moral and religious authority.

A deity with human attributes is not omnipotent, not a 'god' – it is consequently unworthy of worship and devoid of moral and religious authority.

"Omnipotence" is misused and misunderstood. Next, humans describing God in the way humans can understand is not giving God human attributes. This is a basic understanding for people of faith.

No physical evidence that I know of. And yet there are billions of people who do believe in a God(s) through a large variety of religions. Maybe the better question is why do they believe in God when there's no hard evidence to base that belief on. Through out history ever since mankind has evolved enough to think of such things, people have believed in supernatural forces and created some some astounding places based on that strength. Egypt's pyramids for example, thousands of people helped build those things believing they would ascend to their version of an afterlife as a result of the work they did here on Earth. Or so some think anyway.

Anthropomorphic fallacy.

There is a kabbalistic view of G-d that the entire Universe in its entirety is G-d and our existence is due to the conceptualisation in his (or suitable pronoun) mind. Our prayers, meditations, and supplications, serve the purpose of keeping his attention doesn't wander away from us and negate our entire existence.

To put it simply, G-d exists in a solipsistic Universe.

No physical evidence that I know of. And yet there are billions of people who do believe in a God(s) through a large variety of religions. Maybe the better question is why do they believe in God when there's no hard evidence to base that belief on. Through out history ever since mankind has evolved enough to think of such things, people have believed in supernatural forces and created some some astounding places based on that strength. Egypt's pyramids for example, thousands of people helped build those things believing they would ascend to their version of an afterlife as a result of the work they did here on Earth. Or so some think anyway.
I know what you’re saying. My gut reaction to the “first cause conundrum” is that something intelligent started it all. The skeptic in me then says, is that an instinctual reaction in some way? I don’t know. Perhaps belief in a supreme being that will take “care” of us all (as long as we’re good) is a hard wired advantious trait to humans. The ones who believed survived more, the ones who didn’t were more prone to depression and died at a higher rate.

Maybe the better question is why do they believe in God when there's no hard evidence to base that belief on.

For some reason song lyrics to a song by Jimmy Buffet came to mind. It deals with hard evidence, hard facts:

Rock 'n Roll is a scary business. No hit records, no MTV videos... you'll never make it here...

Evidence abounds in truthful, accurate, eye-witness testimony. Fact: Testimony can be truthful--and testimony can be false, which is probably why atheists go on to demand "hard evidence." And that is why, like many an aspiring Rock 'n Roll singer, they will never make it. They are too glued to hard evidence.

were there any that survived their physical death on Earth including from the 1st century not one has come forward to offer proof of their after life experiences and provides a near irrefutable message that if there is life after death there is nothing in existence that even if compassionate that will do anything to help someone in accomplishing the goal to free their spirit that the person theirself is left entirely to accomplish for themselves or otherwise cease to exist.

the point is belief is not enough for survival, the survival of the individual is the proof of their faith.

Despite our best efforts, we're still here.

Sure. Coming from the Christian perspective, we know that this world has been cursed by our refusal to follow G-d, and will be destroyed.

So the idea that this universe as we know it will end, is a given. In fact, the Bible suggests that likely it will end long before the mass freeze.

Now you question whether G-d is good, and that he cares, and cite as proof that he does not care, that fact that bad things have happened.

So I would pose this question to you. Have you ever done something, that was bad for your, that your parents did not approve of?

I have. I think I can assume you have too.

Why did you parents not prevent you from doing it? Could they have chained you up in teh basement? Truthfully they could. We know of times when that has actually happened.

So why didn't your parents lock you up? Tie you down, and prevent you from every making a bad choice?

Because they respected your free will. They knew they can't stop you from doing everything they don't want you to. They knew they had to let you find out some stuff on your own.

G-d is the same way. He did not create robots. He could have. He could have made us mindless robots that did exactly what we are told to do. He could have made us nothing more than animals, only able to follow instinct alone.

People have a tendency to expect G-d to prevent themselves from doing anything bad, or prevent others from doing bad things to you. Why is it that we expect G-d to do things that we don't expect from anyone else?

And lastly, if there was no G-d, then why do you claim anything bad has happened? After all, if we are just animals, animals tear each other to bits all the time, with or without cause. Nature doesn't show us a moral law. Why do you think anything bad has happened to anyone, if there is no G-d?

What about someone who has six incidents that immediately spring to mind that point to the actuality of God not caring for individuals on a deeply personal level, or even disliking individuals on a deeply personal level? Plenty of bad things happen to people, as well as good. :)

And of course you have to get to, 'which god' are you talking about. There are thousands worshiped by humans currently. And each person sees their god as 'the' god.
There is only ONE God - if he is called by different names, that does not challenge his existence.

What about someone who has six incidents that immediately spring to mind that point to the actuality of God not caring for individuals on a deeply personal level, or even disliking individuals on a deeply personal level? Plenty of bad things happen to people, as well as good. :)

Plenty of bad things do happen to people. Things were not all sunshine and roses during some of the incidents God lent a hand to my life--and a couple were about as bad as it gets. What do you say: Should God be blamed that the bad ever happened in the first place? Is God to blame for all the other terrible things that happen when there is no experience of God?

I am not talking about bad things versus good things that happen in life. I am speaking about the actual presence of God that was experienced--some in very bad times; others in good.

Forum List

Back