If the Space Station could spin on a central axis how much speed would it need to create gravity?

Need magnetic boots............To stick to the side walls.............Then rotate the station to equal 9.8 m per second squared...........Amount of force would be mass times acceleration....???????
At what point along the radius?

Why? Isn't the point of false gravity to simulate light gravity and bypass the need for external measures?
All objects with gravity are due to its magnetic core and the field of flux..Normally an iron core...Just like in yer transformers.
You've never stuck to the wall of a spinning barrel at an amusement park have you lol

that is not really gravity

if it was we all would be flung off the face of the earth
It's syntrifical force which is the same thing I'm talking about.

And if not for the gravity of the earths mass we would fly off as a result of the rotation.

actually centripetal force is what is required in your space ship to create artificial gravity
K, I swing hammers for a living not equations lol

32ft/sec2

image.gif

If spun, all the solar panels and extraneous bits would have to be built to endure the force.

:haha:

There is no force to build against. I thought you guys were all sciency. You have no clue what you're talking about.

The centrifugal force that produces the false gravity sounds like a force to me. The effective weight of the astronauts and all equipment supported by the perimeter of the station would certainly have to be countered. Of course a cylinder is ideally suited for that.

Start at 24 minutes to get to the bottom line of a spinning disk and its force.

Once again, this is NOT IN A VACUUM!

True, it's a crude example of the forces that must be dealt with regarding a spinning disk.

The entire system becomes even more complicated by the large centrifugal force, is linear speed regarding travel around the Earth, and the Earths influence upon the entire Station. All of these must be balanced in order to provide a form of gravity.

there would be definite problems with such a system

if you lose contact with the floor you would become weightless instantly

any object dropped would be weightless as well

i am not sure if this type of "gravity" is beneficial or not

Need magnetic boots............To stick to the side walls.............Then rotate the station to equal 9.8 m per second squared...........Amount of force would be mass times acceleration....???????
Would have to be on the outer surface to apply force back to you...........The Outer ring would have to apply enough speed for 9.8 .............then the person with magnetic boots would think he feels gravity as the spinning applies pressure to him against the surface turning. If not touching the outer surface head just float as the thing spins under his feet because he's weightless.

If spun, all the solar panels and extraneous bits would have to be built to endure the force.

There is no force to build against. I thought you guys were all sciency. You have no clue what you're talking about.

The centrifugal force that produces the false gravity sounds like a force to me. The effective weight of the astronauts and all equipment supported by the perimeter of the station would certainly have to be countered. Of course a cylinder is ideally suited for that.
You need a counter force for pressure to be created. They could "shake" lose from the vibrations of the spin I suppose but there should be no external force applied against them.

All objects with gravity are due to its magnetic core and the field of flux..Normally an iron core...Just like in yer transformers.
You've never stuck to the wall of a spinning barrel at an amusement park have you lol

that is not really gravity

if it was we all would be flung off the face of the earth
It's syntrifical force which is the same thing I'm talking about.

And if not for the gravity of the earths mass we would fly off as a result of the rotation.

actually centripetal force is what is required in your space ship to create artificial gravity
Ah.....Good catch.

thanks it is common mistake made

Magnetic boots, why?
So you would attach to the outer surface of the spinning object. Just spinning it wouldn't make you gain gravity.....you'd still float if not attached to something to push back against you.

Magnetic boots, why?
So you would attach to the outer surface of the spinning object. Just spinning it wouldn't make you gain gravity.....you'd still float if not attached to something to push back against you.
I wore no gravity boots when sticking to the inner wall of a massive spinning barrel as a youth in an amusement park.

I don't see boots being useful.

Would have to be on the outer surface to apply force back to you...........The Outer ring would have to apply enough speed for 9.8 .............then the person with magnetic boots would think he feels gravity as the spinning applies pressure to him against the surface turning. If not touching the outer surface head just float as the thing spins under his feet because he's weightless.
Well, the problem and concept is to apply enough force at some point to simulate Earths gravity. I would assume that would be a tube(?) in which humans can live and the inside of the outermost part of the tube would be the specific point of force. Anything else becomes impractical with regard to providing for human physiology.

Magnetic boots, why?
I wore no gravity boots when sticking to the inner wall of a massive spinning barrel as a youth in an amusement park.

Weightless in space...........vacuum..........different.

Indeed, but the implication was to reinforce against an external force. The station can be engineered to handle its own forces without additional weight. It's simply a case of places struts in different locations.

They would need to be magnetized.
Why? Isn't the point of false gravity to simulate light gravity and bypass the need for external measures?

I don't think the space station is designed for the perimeter to be used as a floor. That might be something to consider if another is built.
No doubt it isn't. I just don't get why. Cost? Technical restraints? Risk?
I think that there is an enormous cost to countering the gyroscopic effect of a spinning disk as it orbits a large body like the Earth.

If you're not familiar, take a bike tire and find a way to hold the axle part of the wheel, then spin it real fast. Then, sit on a stool that can turn and turn the wheel. You'll start turning as the centrifugal force exerts itself.

ETA:

This isn't being done in a vacuum. HUUUUUGE dif.

So? You think angular momentum is negated in a vacuum? A gyroscope, which his experiment demonstrates, works fine.in a vacuum. How do you think they maintain their attitude instead of spinning wildly?

Magnetic boots, why?

That was the whole point. Once your velocity matches that of the wall you are pushed against, you will always feel an outward force (actually, it would be a straight line force and you are being turned by the wall). If you were able to push away, or jump away, your momentum would slow (unless you are in a vacuum) and the spin beneath you would continue on. The same effect as the floor spinning past you.

Magnetic boots, why?

Weightless in space...........vacuum..........different.
Is it? I'm not so sure

Start at 24 minutes to get to the bottom line of a spinning disk and its force.

Once again, this is NOT IN A VACUUM!

True, it's a crude example of the forces that must be dealt with regarding a spinning disk.

The entire system becomes even more complicated by the large centrifugal force, is linear speed regarding travel around the Earth, and the Earths influence upon the entire Station. All of these must be balanced in order to provide a form of gravity.

All of which is absolutely true, but it is not a huge deal either. The bigger issue is docking resupply missions. That is probably why they haven't bothered to do it yet. So long as we are dealing with small stations there simply is no room for error. A one millimeter miss is going to be catastrophic.

Forum List

Back