If me and my parents and sister lived and grew up in the USA instead of Austria

Mortimer

Gold Member
Sep 29, 2010
Kings of Con
What would we be seen as? In Austria we were seen as Serbians, eventhough only my dad looked somewhat Serbian or could pass, but we just say we are from Serbia and people dont say we are not. I think Americans are more outspoken and think more in terms of race instead of origin, I guess they would probably think "Serbia, isnt that in Europe, arent Serbians white etc." What would they say to us?

What would we be seen as? In Austria we were seen as Serbians, eventhough only my dad looked somewhat Serbian or could pass, but we just say we are from Serbia and people dont say we are not. I think Americans are more outspoken and think more in terms of race instead of origin, I guess they would probably think "Serbia, isnt that in Europe, arent Serbians white etc." What would they say to us?

You would be seen as ordinary people.

Honestly, we don’t look thru the eyes of race as much as you think. It’s such a diverse country that you wouldn’t stand out at all.

People would probably ask you where you came from based on your accent.

You would be fine. You and your family would be accepted as Americans. My mother-in-law is East Indian from Guyana, my father-in-law is Irish. Together they have made some beautiful children, my wife included. Immediately following 9/11 my brother-in-law, whom I had not yet met at the time, was mistaken for a Middle Easterner and suffered some discrimination, but those were extraordinary times. Despite what you might read in current American news output, everyone is pretty much accepted as American in modern day America, no matter the color of their skin or cultural origins. The unspoken golden rule of acceptance in America: don't be an asshole and you'll be fine.

I think me and my sister could pass as White too. Or ambigous. What do you think? I think someone would think not-white but someone also white too. Especially if I did something wrong or which can be seen as racist, I would be white like zimmerman or the guy from proud boys who is the leader of the proud boys. My mum has too dark skin, directly brown to possibly pass as white, but me and my sister are not that outright brown.

I think me and my sister could pass as White too. Or ambigous. What do you think? I think someone would think not-white but someone also white too. Especially if I did something wrong or which can be seen as racist, I would be white like zimmerman or the guy from proud boys who is the leader of the proud boys. My mum has too dark skin, directly brown to possibly pass as white, but me and my sister are not that outright brown.

You look white to me but just look like you’re from a different nation, which isn’t a bad thing! But honestly, if you were here and looked white, you wouldn’t be any more advantaged than browns and blacks. There’s a chance you’d be DISADVANTAGED because you’re white. Charges of racism stick better to white people, many companies won’t hire white people so they can meet their “diversity quota”. You may not make it into a university even if you have perfect grades because of affirmative action, etc.

You look white to me but just look like you’re from a different nation, which isn’t a bad thing! But honestly, if you were here and looked white, you wouldn’t be any more advantaged than browns and blacks. There’s a chance you’d be DISADVANTAGED because you’re white. Charges of racism stick better to white people, many companies won’t hire white people so they can meet their “diversity quota”. You may not make it into a university even if you have perfect grades because of affirmative action, etc.

I think that I can pass as white, to some if I say what I am, they will see me as other. Just like a Italian who might get mistaken for hispanic but if he says he is italian he turns white. If I say what I am I will be an other, but if Im in a group of white people, and i dont mention who i am or say they are my relatives, i would be white too.

Like here me in a group of white people, i dont think who doesnt know me thinks im not white, or at least not everyone, people can have different perceptions someone might perceive im not white, but someone might not perceive it.

Im just saying honestly what I think, sometimes austrians didnt know that Im not austrian and they told me so. So someone might not know it. Growing up I was bullied for being the brown shitskin, but it lightened up in the past 15 years where I was told how red my cheeks are or how I have a healthy rosa colour, or that I look austrian. If someone tells me that, there must be some people who think Im White.

google bild zeitung

You would just be seen as Americans. I don't think you understand what it's like to have neighbors with ancestry from all over the globe. The thing is, in order to try to stay relevant, a major political party called the Democratic party is constantly race baiting to try to stay relevant, and since they control most of our media, people overseas think there is some sort of huge racial divides in America that simply do not exist among the vast majority average Americans.

Last edited:
In 2010 or 2011/12 I was on a weight loss program and there was a high-tech scale that measures body composition such as fat, water percentage, muscle percentage and you stand on it barefoot and holds two bars with both hands, and then the scale said I am caucasian. I don't know if someone programmed it or if the scales figured it out themselves, in any case I was called Caucasian.

In 2010 or 2011/12 I was on a weight loss program and there was a high-tech scale that measures body composition such as fat, water percentage, muscle percentage and you stand on it barefoot and holds two bars with both hands, and then the scale said I am caucasian. I don't know if someone programmed it or if the scales figured it out themselves, in any case I was called Caucasian.
A weight scale that determines race, I don't think so.

Forum List

Back