If i start a small business

Hey, I've seen it first hand. Except it wasn't a Bentley with a driver it was a Porsche 911.
You're so full of shit!

Well if the guy could pay for a car by firing some workers, it would seem those workers were a drain on corporate profits anyway, yes? Most of us hire people to make money for us. If they don't, there really isn't much reason to hire them in the first place.
I just love how people come up with complete BS to try and make a point.

Funny, but I never had to fire an emloyee to pay for a car. And I've owned, and still own very expensive cars.

And, even if it did happen. Where's the proof as to the reasons why the business owner fired said employee to buy a car?..........Sounds like a bunch of disgruntled employees making up a bunch of office gossip, to cover for the fact that the employee who got canned was useless.

You're so full of shit!

Well if the guy could pay for a car by firing some workers, it would seem those workers were a drain on corporate profits anyway, yes? Most of us hire people to make money for us. If they don't, there really isn't much reason to hire them in the first place.
I just love how people come up with complete BS to try and make a point.

Funny, but I never had to fire an emloyee to pay for a car. And I've owned, and still own very expensive cars.

And, even if it did happen. Where's the proof as to the reasons why the business owner fired said employee to buy a car?..........Sounds like a bunch of disgruntled employees making up a bunch of office gossip, to cover for the fact that the employee who got canned was useless.
Agreed.

I bought a new MBZ only after I hired a good employee. Firing employees to buy a car only makes sense if a person is economically illiterate or the employee was a piece of shit.....

Last edited:
Yes, I understand and respect that.
But those employees, for good or for bad, had priorities that were more important than their careers...and I do not hold that against them.
However, they must understand that when push comes to shove, they are deemed as dispensible if there need to be cuts.
Afterall, should I cut the person who CAN and DOES stay late?

You see....there are many of us that are not willing to sacrifice personal respoinsibilities for a job and many of us that are. Me? I missed many of my sons football games....my neighbor didnt miss them. He lost his company during the recession...I didnt. He has regrets...so do I....but at least I still have my company and my employees have jobs. His? I Hired one of them but couldnt hire all of them.

my husband and I have no children...we have been childless....so my career got everything from me, I was a work- a- holic of sorts....I gave it my all...every ounce of me... some to numb my pain or even shame of being barren perhaps....at least this is what some that know me have speculated....but truly, I just loved every job challenge that I have ever had, and always have wanted to do the company good....not just good, but better than they ever expected from me.

Yes, I was eventually compensated for the loyalty.

As you should have. You earned it.

But how would you have felt if your equal co-worker got compansated the same as you despite doing nothing nore than the bare minimum acceptable?

I asked this earlier...

Do you reward a child for going to school everyday as expected?

Do you reward a child for getting c's....by doing the bare mninimum required to pass with an average grade?

i think we agree but I don't think you have given enough credit to the pencil pusher....not everyone can be heroes and climb the ladder... and sometimes you don't want everybody to be seeking more and more and more from their employers....sometimes the importance of the position is that the employee understands his position and job duties and is there every single day, rain or shine, sick kid or not, to do it....

If everyone was at work to ''out do'' the next guy in every single position, it would be chaos and too cut throat of an environment for the company's own good....trust me on that....

the pencil pushers are sometimes just as important as the thinkers...

as example....sometimes, it can be good to have the same familiar good receptionist greeting your vendors or clients year after year....it makes clients more comfortable...sometimes it is good that you don't have some person as receptionist that wants to get the heck out of that position and climb the ladder....so yes, the show up every day, dedicated to the company during working hours person like the good receptionist that does not want to move up, SHOULD and were rewarded....of course not to the same degree of the workaholics, but rewarded none the less....

though many can and I do not begrudge them, but I personally could not function as a union employee if this meant getting paid and rewarded in the same manner as the average Joe next to me....I enjoyed being patted on the back and rewarded for what I was worth and what I gave to the company.

my husband and I have no children...we have been childless....so my career got everything from me, I was a work- a- holic of sorts....I gave it my all...every ounce of me... some to numb my pain or even shame of being barren perhaps....at least this is what some that know me have speculated....but truly, I just loved every job challenge that I have ever had, and always have wanted to do the company good....not just good, but better than they ever expected from me.

Yes, I was eventually compensated for the loyalty.

But how would you have felt if your equal co-worker got compansated the same as you despite doing nothing nore than the bare minimum acceptable?

I asked this earlier...

Do you reward a child for getting c's....by doing the bare mninimum required to pass with an average grade?

i think we agree but I don't think you have given enough credit to the pencil pusher....not everyone can be heroes and climb the ladder... and sometimes you don't want everybody to be seeking more and more and more from their employers....sometimes the importance of the position is that the employee understands his position and job duties and is there every single day, rain or shine, sick kid or not, to do it....

If everyone was at work to ''out do'' the next guy in every single position, it would be chaos and too cut throat of an environment for the company's own good....trust me on that....

as example....sometimes, it can be good to have the same familiar good receptionist greeting your vendors or clients year after year....it makes clients more comfortable...sometimes it is good that you don't have some person as receptionist that wants to get the heck out of that position and climb the ladder....so yes, the show up every day, dedicated to the company during working hours person like the good receptionist that does not want to move up, SHOULD and were rewarded....of course not to the same degree of the workaholics, but rewarded none the less....

though many can and I do not begrudge them, but I personally could not function as a union employee if this meant getting paid and rewarded in the same manner as the average Joe next to me....I enjoyed being patted on the back and rewarded for what I was worth and what I gave to the company.

I have been a corporate climber too and get bored once I've mastered a position and maximized my efficiency in it. At that point I'm always eager to move on to something different. As a result, over a lifetime I've done a LOT of different things in a LOT of different places. And I think I've earned my pay everywhere though wages aren't enough for me. I would always take less money where I am needed, recognized, and appreciated over higher wages where I'm just another cog in the machine. Of course if you can get both, and I've enjoyed that too, so much the better. :)

But that gal on the reception desk who doesn't WANT to do anything else isn't necessarily not growing in her job either. She is continually honing skills, developing relationships, and learning how to avoid a few landmines. And over time she too can become more valuable to the company and will merit increased compensation. A competent boss will recognize her value and contribution to the company and will pay her what she is worth in her job.

I asked this earlier...

I have been a corporate climber too and get bored once I've mastered a position and maximized my efficiency in it. At that point I'm always eager to move on to something different. As a result, over a lifetime I've done a LOT of different things in a LOT of different places. And I think I've earned my pay everywhere though wages aren't enough for me. I would always take less money where I am needed, recognized, and appreciated over higher wages where I'm just another cog in the machine. Of course if you can get both, and I've enjoyed that too, so much the better. :)

But that gal on the reception desk who doesn't WANT to do anything else isn't necessarily not growing in her job either. She is continually honing skills, developing relationships, and learning how to avoid a few landmines. And over time she too can become more valuable to the company and will merit increased compensation. A competent boss will recognize her value and contribution to the company and will pay her what she is worth in her job.

precisely...

I was always looking for the next challenge as well, but we did have some good employees, who were not....but they still improved within their position....

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Foxfyre again.

precisely...

I was always looking for the next challenge as well, but we did have some good employees, who were not....but they still improved within their position....

I'm hoping to sleep my way to the top.

precisely...

good luck with that! you may do some sleeping around, but it ain't gonna get you to the top these days....just used and abused, but if that's your kick, so be it!:razz:

precisely...

good luck with that! you may do some sleeping around, but it ain't gonna get you to the top these days....just used and abused, but if that's your kick, so be it!:razz:

Use and Abuse Meh, baybee.:cool:

How successful would I have to make it until I'm one of those evil businesses?
The criteria is the same for businesses as individuals. If you cheat, lie, and steal to reach your goals, you qualify.

Of course, if you make a lot of money, the left will just assume that you cheat, lie, and steal as a matter of course, which I think was the point of the question: how rich does one have to be before the left's kneejerk envy mode kicks in?

Hey, I've seen it first hand. Except it wasn't a Bentley with a driver it was a Porsche 911.

Question for you......

A man starts a company...it grows....and becomes a successful company employing 100 people. His receptionist started at 10 an hour and over the years she is raised to 20 an hour....he then invests in a new phone system to keep up with technology...and this phone system offers voicemail for all employees...with direct lines to each employee as such is preferred by the client base and more attractive to new cleints.
He now has his receptionist doing infinitely less for the same 20 an hour. He can fire the file clerk and give her that job if she wants....but the file clerk only makes and is worth 10 an hour.....so instead he keeps her as the receptionist and she is now doing 1/3 the work and still making 20 an hour.
Business dies due to a recession...he is taking less home, but his success has allowed him to maintain his lifestyle. Further review of his financials shows that his operating expenses are way too high for him to sustain his existing life style and he needs to cut back or possibly not be able to meet his personal needs.
He looks at his recptionuist who is doing a 10 an hour job for 20 an hour...and is sitting around doing nothing most of the day.
What should he do?

Your answer? Likely suck it up, lower his standard of living and let the receptionist keep her job and standard of living....even though she is overpaid.

My answer?

The receptionist should have continued her education and open doors to herself so that her value to the marketplace increased....as if ones skills stagnate it is just a matter of time before they price themselves out of the market.

Hookay..enough with the hypotheticals.

Here's a real world example.

HP was a dominant force in the UNIX server industry when it hire failed CEO Carly Fiorina to take over. She didn't build anything up. She didn't start the company. She failed at her previous position at Lucent as well. Why did she get hired? No idea. Okay..she's got to be boss. Her great idea? Maximize profit by laying off over 30K employees and shipping the jobs overseas. On top of that..she merged with Compaq..in a bid to get into the mainframe business. She was looking to capitalize on Tandems.

The result?

Over 30K people out of work.

HP Stocks drop through the basement.

Tandem is a bust..because people move from mainframes to Linux servers.

And Carly makes a bundle.

THAT'S the Conservative way. Destroy and profit.

Everytime.

I believe I'd like to see some evidence that Carly is a conservative, or even a Republican, before you get to tar us all with this brush. MOST people on the right, CEOs and otherwise, don't consider driving a company into the ground and walking away to be a model for success, but it's odd how many people on the left seem to think that, however much they then whine about how "awful" it is to do.

Question for you......

A man starts a company...it grows....and becomes a successful company employing 100 people. His receptionist started at 10 an hour and over the years she is raised to 20 an hour....he then invests in a new phone system to keep up with technology...and this phone system offers voicemail for all employees...with direct lines to each employee as such is preferred by the client base and more attractive to new cleints.
He now has his receptionist doing infinitely less for the same 20 an hour. He can fire the file clerk and give her that job if she wants....but the file clerk only makes and is worth 10 an hour.....so instead he keeps her as the receptionist and she is now doing 1/3 the work and still making 20 an hour.
Business dies due to a recession...he is taking less home, but his success has allowed him to maintain his lifestyle. Further review of his financials shows that his operating expenses are way too high for him to sustain his existing life style and he needs to cut back or possibly not be able to meet his personal needs.
He looks at his recptionuist who is doing a 10 an hour job for 20 an hour...and is sitting around doing nothing most of the day.
What should he do?

Your answer? Likely suck it up, lower his standard of living and let the receptionist keep her job and standard of living....even though she is overpaid.

My answer?

The receptionist should have continued her education and open doors to herself so that her value to the marketplace increased....as if ones skills stagnate it is just a matter of time before they price themselves out of the market.

HP was a dominant force in the UNIX server industry when it hire failed CEO Carly Fiorina to take over. She didn't build anything up. She didn't start the company. She failed at her previous position at Lucent as well. Why did she get hired? No idea. Okay..she's got to be boss. Her great idea? Maximize profit by laying off over 30K employees and shipping the jobs overseas. On top of that..she merged with Compaq..in a bid to get into the mainframe business. She was looking to capitalize on Tandems.

The result?

Everytime.

Yeah...and enron collapsed too...So did Pan Am...so did Joe Schmo...

Bad business mamagnement results in failure.

Happens all the time.

But what about the successes?

Millions of Americans are employed becuase of the successful companies.

Yet you cite one of the failures.

Why is that?

Because he seems to think that all CEOs and upper-level managers have as their goal running their businesses into the ground, and somehow mysteriously profiting off of the business tanking.

I'm not sure how that actually WORKS, but neither is he.

The result?

Everytime.

Yeah...and enron collapsed too...So did Pan Am...so did Joe Schmo...

Bad business mamagnement results in failure.

Happens all the time.

But what about the successes?

Millions of Americans are employed becuase of the successful companies.

Yet you cite one of the failures.

Why is that?

Whoosh..that went over your head didn't it?

No one has a problem with responsible business owners and rational salaries.

The problem you have seems to be recognizing that it's POSSIBLE for a business owner to be responsible or for a CEO's salary to be rational, unless he's working for free running an electric car battery manufacturer or something. If he's at all capitalist in his business goals, you and your compatriots automatically assume he's evil, irresponsible, and greedy.

What angers most is extreme greed and the capricious nature of some businesses.

What angers ME is the extreme greed evidenced by people who hate anyone who dares to be rich. Oh, and the extreme ignorance they display about how business actually works.

Especially when people are moved into management that had no hand in making it a success, none. And that may have happened because they travel in the same social circles and not because of ability. And at the bottom of alot of these successes, more often then not, you find the TAX PAYER was somehow involved. As in grants, loans, R&D and providing customers (ie the government). See: Kraft Cheese, Northop Grumman, General Dynamics, General Electric, General Motors, Ford, Boeing, Halliburton, Raytheon, AIG, Citibank, Morgan Stanely, Goldman Sachs, Microsoft, IBM, Intel, Pfizer..

Right, so NOW selling legitimate products and services to the government is welfare. Well, fuck, let's just tell the government it's not allowed to buy ANYTHING, ever again. IT would certainly reduce the budget, wouldn't it? :cuckoo:

And a CEO or owner doesn't get successful alone. It takes a lot of hands and minds to make a success.

Which is why it's a wonderful thing that workers Unite and form Unions.

So they can delude themselves that the success is all their work, while the owner sat in his office, smoking cigars and going out to expense-account 3-martini lunches?

Yeah....I am sure someone fires an employee to buy a Bentley to then lose the Bentley becuase he doesnt have the employees to maintain his success.

Happens all the time.

Aha!

So you admit that the way to riches is through the efforts of others.

Then why all the distain for working people from those on the right?

No one syas an employee that is needed is not important to the success of the company.

If you fire the recptionist so you can afford a vacation it is foolish....as it will affect business.

But that does not mean the receptionist is worthy of making more than 15 an hour....

Why must you spin to make your point?

Are you not overly confident about your position?

I fail to see how firing the receptionist would help you afford a vacation in the first place. Do people on the left really imagine that the money a company pays this or that employee throughout the year is just sitting idle in a bank account somewhere, waiting to be doled out? So you just fire her and withdraw the money that was set aside for this year's paychecks for her and head to Tahiti? Is that really what they think is happening?

Yeah....I am sure someone fires an employee to buy a Bentley to then lose the Bentley becuase he doesnt have the employees to maintain his success.

Happens all the time.

Aha!

So you admit that the way to riches is through the efforts of others.

Then why all the distain for working people from those on the right?

A file clerk is a necessary item position a firm.
The requirement to fill the position is one with a work ethic and the ability to file.

The asset is the position...not the person who fills it.

If the person who fills it does not have a good work ethic, then they will be fired.

But are you saying that having a good work ethic warrants spoecial consideration? We should pat those with a good work ethic on the back and offer them raises and make them rich? Becuase they have a good work ethic? Really? They should be rewarded for being what they are supposed to be?

I thought we punish those that are not what they are expected to be...but reward those that are instead?

Interesting.

So if my son goes to school everyday....should I reward him?

Maybe we're supposed to pay the file clerk a bonus for knowing the alphabet. God knows, the way the education system is these days, it's a skill that's becoming rarer all the time.

Question for you......

What should he do?

My answer?

The result?

Everytime.

I believe I'd like to see some evidence that Carly is a conservative, or even a Republican, before you get to tar us all with this brush. MOST people on the right, CEOs and otherwise, don't consider driving a company into the ground and walking away to be a model for success, but it's odd how many people on the left seem to think that, however much they then whine about how "awful" it is to do.

Carly ran as a Republican in the last election...and lost.

Google works for you too.

The result?

Everytime.

Carly ran as a Republican in the last election...and lost.

Google works for you too.

That aside, the Cesspit is suffereing from Dementia, Amnesia or both. She forgets that the CEOs of Wall St almost ran America into the ground, and half of them still wanted their 'bonuses'....

If you incorporate you automatically make the left's sh*t list.

Not quite. See, a lot of people on the left don't seem to realize that there are far more corporations - defined as "a business that is incorporated" - that are also small or medium-sized businesses than there are the Fortune 500 types. They think "corporation" means "WalMart", or the equivalent.

So you might be able to get away with incorporating without incurring their wrath, simply because they don't realize you exist.

You're so full of shit!

Or he could just make those who are left pick up the slack.

I've seen it happen. It was a small, family owned business of about 100 people.

If the people who are left are able to pick up the slack without a detrimental effect on productivity, then obviously the guy who was let go WAS extraneous to needs.

Forum List

Back