If i start a small business

The criteria is the same for businesses as individuals. If you cheat, lie, and steal to reach your goals, you qualify.

Then why does the left continually demonize businesses that don't do that, But merely for their size?

Wouldn't it be nice if Flopper applied his standard of evil to the Democratic Party?

Id be happy if everyone just started to apply those criteria to their own lives. We as individuals need to clean our lives up. We need to eliminate corruption.

how's that ''charity'' working out for the poorest? guess you all left some ''behind'' huh?

why do those charities need government money, our tax dollars then? why are charities taking gvt handouts for faith based initiatives, if the charities are accomplishing all that is needed all by their lonesome avatar?

do you think it is wrong for these charities to take money from the tax payers via the faith based initiatives?

Charity doesn't involve the government. It doesn't involve the use of force.

And yes it's wrong for taxpayer money to be used for anything but keeping the nation running.

one of my mentors, a boss of mine in my earlier career.... used to rattle this off quite often; "Ya know, for some reason, the harder I worked, the Luckier I got!"

of course there are those that accomplish what is asked of them and not more and there are those that do accomplish more.

some of those that accomplish what is asked of them are loyal employees Jarhead....they never call in sick, they do whatever you ask of them....but they CAN'T work more due to kids that need to be picked up from Daycare or an elderly parent that they need to take care of at home or their husband of wife works the /evening night shift and they need to be home for the kids so the spouse can go to work....

I have had employees such as these over the years fill the non critical positions within the corporation.... they still can be loyal employees....just not ones that want to or can, advance themselves, due to other circumstances....but then again, many of these corporations ended up adding daycare at work, so that these employees could manage and move on up the ladder as well...

one of my mentors, a boss of mine in my earlier career.... used to rattle this off quite often; "Ya know, for some reason, the harder I worked, the Luckier I got!"

of course there are those that accomplish what is asked of them and not more and there are those that do accomplish more.

some of those that accomplish what is asked of them are loyal employees Jarhead....they never call in sick, they do whatever you ask of them....but they CAN'T work more due to kids that need to be picked up from Daycare or an elderly parent that they need to take care of at home or their husband of wife works the /evening night shift and they need to be home for the kids so the spouse can go to work....

I have had employees such as these over the years fill the non critical positions within the corporation.... they still can be loyal employees....just not ones that want to or can, advance themselves, due to other circumstances....but then again, many of these corporations ended up adding daycare at work, so that these employees could manage and move on up the ladder as well...

But I hope they won't. At some point many of us have to make a decision about what is most important to us. Being a great parent to great kids, maintaining a great home as a refuge from a sometimes stressful world, or be a rising star destined to be influential, powerful, famous, and prosperous in the corporate world. Both choices can end in amazing success depending on how one defines success.

I hate to think of kids being squirreled away in day care longer than they absolutely have to be in order for Mommy and Daddy to make a living.

Yes, I understand and respect that.
But those employees, for good or for bad, had priorities that were more important than their careers...and I do not hold that against them.
However, they must understand that when push comes to shove, they are deemed as dispensible if there need to be cuts.
Afterall, should I cut the person who CAN and DOES stay late?

You see....there are many of us that are not willing to sacrifice personal respoinsibilities for a job and many of us that are. Me? I missed many of my sons football games....my neighbor didnt miss them. He lost his company during the recession...I didnt. He has regrets...so do I....but at least I still have my company and my employees have jobs. His? I Hired one of them but couldnt hire all of them.

But I hope they won't. At some point many of us have to make a decision about what is most important to us. Being a great parent to great kids, maintaining a great home as a refuge from a sometimes stressful world, or be a rising star destined to be influential, powerful, famous, and prosperous in the corporate world. Both choices can end in amazing success depending on how one defines success.

I hate to think of kids being squirreled away in day care longer than they absolutely have to be in order for Mommy and Daddy to make a living.

it was great for the new moms, and they could visit their babies anytime they wanted, on their breaks and on lunch and even moreso if they felt the need and were getting their jobs done.

the last corp I worked for even put in a gym, so that we all could have no excuse for not being fit....and yes, we could use our lunch hours combined with breaktime or come in early or stay late to use the facilities.....or workout in the middle of the day if we felt like it, but then stay after hours to accomplish our work goals.

We also had the option of working 7-4, 8-5, or 9-6 if we wanted to....of course for us in the management, it didn't matter what time we got there, we usually worked in to the night, after most others went home.

but of course, if the mom's or single dad's still did not want to advance their careers and utilize these benefits, they were not obligated to do such.

When you start looking at your first Bentley and a chauffer to drive it and you fire enough of your employees to cover the cost.

Typical left wing rhetoric.

Better said this way....

When you review your fianncials and you see that progress and technology allows you to cut back on operating expenses so you can maintain or increase your lifestyle...which is why you went into your own business to begin with.....then you become evil in the eyes of the jealous.

No business owner lays off people knowing it will kill the business just so they can buy a Bentley that they will no longer be able to afford becuase they laid off empoloyees and business died.

Tyical left wing talking points rhetoric.

Hey, I've seen it first hand. Except it wasn't a Bentley with a driver it was a Porsche 911.
You're so full of shit!

no, I don't know that Zander.... MOST THAT ARE POOR, are truly poor and are not gaming the system....where you get that 90% of the poor are not poor is beyond me. (the reciprocal of the 10 to 1 ratio of low lifes you speak of above)

90% of the 50% that you all bitch about ad nausea that do not pay any federal income taxes are not lazy ass scumbags.....

generalizations such as that, is where you lose me....

no different than condemning all corporations instead of the few that are gaming the system...

Forty-three percent of all poor households actually own their own homes; the average home owned by persons classified as poor by the Census Bureau is a three-bedroom house with one-and-a-half baths, a garage and a porch or patio.
Eighty percent of poor households have air conditioning; by contrast, in 1970, only 36 percent of the entire U.S. population enjoyed air conditioning.
Only 6 percent of poor households are overcrowded; two-thirds have more than two rooms per person.
The typical poor American has more living space than the average individual living in Paris, London, Vienna, Athens and other cities throughout Europe (these comparisons are to the average citizens in foreign countries, not to those classified as poor).
Also:
Nearly three-quarters of poor households own a car; 31 percent own two or more cars.
Ninety-seven percent of poor households have a color television; over half own two or more color televisions.
Seventy-eight percent have a VCR or DVD player; 62 percent have cable or satellite TV reception.
Eighty-nine percent own microwave ovens, more than half have a stereo, and a more than a third have an automatic dishwasher.
Material poverty can be measured relatively or absolutely. An absolute measure would consist of some minimum quantity of goods and services deemed adequate for a baseline level of survival. Achieving that level means that poverty has been eliminated. However, if poverty is defined as, say, the lowest one-fifth of the income distribution, it is impossible to eliminate poverty. Everyone's income could double, triple and quadruple, but there will always be the lowest one-fifth, explains Williams.
Source: Walter Williams, "Where Best To Be Poor," Jewish World Review, June 30, 2010.
I couldn't find the article you referenced so I don’t know what your definition of poor is. US Health and Human Service define poverty for a couple as a combined gross income of less than $15,000. Unless you are using some other measure of poverty, I find it difficult to believe that 43% of young married couples with a combined gross income of less than $15,000 own a 3-bedroom 1 ½ bath air-conditioned home and a car. The mortgage alone would run well over half their gross pay. You can buy a color TV at Goodwill for $10 and a new microwave $30, but the house and car, I don’t think so.

2009 Federal Poverty Guidelines
You can find the article here.
Where Best To Be Poor

Rather than my definition, my presumption is that rich and poor defy specific definition.

Instead, the terms are used to push folks into a particular mode of thought, or rather, of feeling by folks with a political agenda.

Consider the following:

Today, the use of the term 'the poor' is meant to play on the envy that so many seem to have...

1. Sociologist Helmut Schoeck’s observation: “Since the end of the Second World War, however, a new ‘ethic’ has come into being, according to which the envious man is perfectly acceptable. Progressively fewer individuals and groups are ashamed of their envy, but instead make out that its existence in their temperaments axiomatically proves the existence of ‘social injustice,’ which must be eliminated for their benefit.” Helmut Schoeck, “Envy: A Theory of Social Behavior,” p. 179

2. Since one cannot see any objective harm done to the less wealthy by another’s greater wealth, the explanation for the ‘economic equality imperative’ can only be envy. The resentment of luxury in another is evil, in that there is no benefit to depriving others with no gain to ourselves. What is the satisfaction of seeing the better off lessened.
This idea is covered in a far more thorough manner in "Slouching Toward Gomorrah," Bork.

Unlike years before unions, we now have laws that prevent child labor; we have minimum wage that prevents "slave wages"; we now have laws that orevent dangerous work environments.; We now have laws that prevent dsicrimination.

Now we can let the free market run again. You dont like the wage, dont take the job.

The worker will dictate the salary in the end....demand for a particular position is what will define the salary.

Unions have proven to be self serving for themselves and the memebers not taking into conideration how it affects the priices of the goods they produce and the success of the company overall.

Trust me...as a business planner and recruiter......salaries for no union positions are dictated by the demand for the psoition by qulified people...even in economic times like these.

We have the labor laws we have BECAUSE of the efforts of Unions. Business and Government did wake up one day and go, "Gosh..it would be nice to treat labor like we want to be treated". And part of that was due to people like FDR realizing that people's misery would lead to populist movements like Fascism and Communism taking root.

And it's a constant struggle..as we see today. Business has been colluding to rollback these gains as well. I've seen it happen where I work. They eliminated the Union by giving the same benefits to non-union workers. Once the Union collapsed..the Benefits have begun to evaporate. Pensions went bye bye 3 years ago. And we now contribute much more to our healthcare.

I've been on both sides of the fence..business owner and labor. So I kinda see how the whole thing works..soup to nuts.

Typical left wing rhetoric.

Better said this way....

When you review your fianncials and you see that progress and technology allows you to cut back on operating expenses so you can maintain or increase your lifestyle...which is why you went into your own business to begin with.....then you become evil in the eyes of the jealous.

No business owner lays off people knowing it will kill the business just so they can buy a Bentley that they will no longer be able to afford becuase they laid off empoloyees and business died.

Tyical left wing talking points rhetoric.

Hey, I've seen it first hand. Except it wasn't a Bentley with a driver it was a Porsche 911.
You're so full of shit!

Well if the guy could pay for a car by firing some workers, it would seem those workers were a drain on corporate profits anyway, yes? Most of us hire people to make money for us. If they don't, there really isn't much reason to hire them in the first place.

Unlike years before unions, we now have laws that prevent child labor; we have minimum wage that prevents "slave wages"; we now have laws that orevent dangerous work environments.; We now have laws that prevent dsicrimination.

Now we can let the free market run again. You dont like the wage, dont take the job.

The worker will dictate the salary in the end....demand for a particular position is what will define the salary.

Unions have proven to be self serving for themselves and the memebers not taking into conideration how it affects the priices of the goods they produce and the success of the company overall.

Trust me...as a business planner and recruiter......salaries for no union positions are dictated by the demand for the psoition by qulified people...even in economic times like these.

We have the labor laws we have BECAUSE of the efforts of Unions. Business and Government did wake up one day and go, "Gosh..it would be nice to treat labor like we want to be treated". And part of that was due to people like FDR realizing that people's misery would lead to populist movements like Fascism and Communism taking root.

And it's a constant struggle..as we see today. Business has been colluding to rollback these gains as well. I've seen it happen where I work. They eliminated the Union by giving the same benefits to non-union workers. Once the Union collapsed..the Benefits have begun to evaporate. Pensions went bye bye 3 years ago. And we now contribute much more to our healthcare.

I've been on both sides of the fence..business owner and labor. So I kinda see how the whole thing works..soup to nuts.

Most of my clients are no union. I am non union. No issues whatseover.
My only client with a real issue?
Union.
The issue?
He cant get new employees...and he needs them...machinists....but the union wont let him pay them more than the existing employees...and the existing employees are terrible...they started off OK and tnow they are lazy and careless.....and so to increase quality he needs true tradesman....but the union wont let him pay the premium he needs to pay to get the machinists that really care about the quality of the product.

True dilemma......and the non union shops are taking his business away....and they are paying better salaries as they snatch up the ones that really care about their work.

One solution I proposed was raising the salaries of the few that are good....the union refuses to allow it unless it is a raise across the board...

So he is slated to close the NYC shop in August.

And all lose.

True story.

You're so full of shit!

Well if the guy could pay for a car by firing some workers, it would seem those workers were a drain on corporate profits anyway, yes? Most of us hire people to make money for us. If they don't, there really isn't much reason to hire them in the first place.

Or he could just make those who are left pick up the slack.

I've seen it happen. It was a small, family owned business of about 100 people.

You're so full of shit!

And if those that are left agree to pick up the slack and dont quit and get a better job?
Then I would say it was a great decision made by the business owner.

But those employees, for good or for bad, had priorities that were more important than their careers...and I do not hold that against them.
However, they must understand that when push comes to shove, they are deemed as dispensible if there need to be cuts.

You see....there are many of us that are not willing to sacrifice personal respoinsibilities for a job and many of us that are. Me? I missed many of my sons football games....my neighbor didnt miss them. He lost his company during the recession...I didnt. He has regrets...so do I....but at least I still have my company and my employees have jobs. His? I Hired one of them but couldnt hire all of them.

my husband and I have no children...we have been childless....so my career got everything from me, I was a work- a- holic of sorts....I gave it my all...every ounce of me... some to numb my pain or even shame of being barren perhaps....at least this is what some that know me have speculated....but truly, I just loved every job challenge that I have ever had, and always have wanted to do the company good....not just good, but better than they ever expected from me.

Yes, I was eventually compensated for the loyalty.

If Unions are so great, and such a vital part of America, why do we have so few members in the private sector? According to the BLS -
In 2010, 7.6 million public sector employees belonged to a union, compared with 7.1 million union workers in the private sector. The union membership rate for public sector workers (36.2 percent) was substantially higher than the rate for private sector workers (6.9 percent)
Seems to me that Unions destroy every industry that they glom on to. Why else would their ranks be declining year after year after year? :lol:

my husband and I have no children...we have been childless....so my career got everything from me, I was a work- a- holic of sorts....I gave it my all...every ounce of me... some to numb my pain or even shame of being barren perhaps....at least this is what some that know me have speculated....but truly, I just loved every job challenge that I have ever had, and always have wanted to do the company good....not just good, but better than they ever expected from me.

Yes, I was eventually compensated for the loyalty.

As you should have. You earned it.

But how would you have felt if your equal co-worker got compansated the same as you despite doing nothing nore than the bare minimum acceptable?

I asked this earlier...

Do you reward a child for going to school everyday as expected?

Do you reward a child for getting c's....by doing the bare mninimum required to pass with an average grade?

And if those that are left agree to pick up the slack and dont quit and get a better job?
Then I would say it was a great decision made by the business owner.

In a tight job market, that's not always an option for workers.

Sometimes you just have to stay and suck it up until things turn around.

You're so full of shit!

You're missing the point.

The boss is the one who invests in the infrastructure, identifies a market, develops a product line, and takes all the risk with venture capital, licenses, tax obligations, liability, and all the other factors that go into start up and operation of a business. And, depending on the business, he will be in the market for labor to produce and administrate the product that he has developed and will be paying what the market will bear for that labor.

The product the worker has to offer is that labor and he sells it to the boss for an agreed price. The employee invests nothing and takes no risks other than his time and the labor he is able to provide. He is valuable to the employer only if his labor produces more in revenues than what he is paid in salary and benefits. Producing revenues over and above what he costs the employer to hire him is the ONLY reason he merits the job at all.

Both work for their own self interests which coincidentally mutually benefit each other. A competent employer will profit most by hiring just the right number of employees for maximum efficiency so that he gets the maximum return for the cost of hiring those employees.

The employee benefits when he produces more than he is required to produce and thereby becomes more valuable to the employer who can then increase the employees wages and benefits and will do so if that is necessary to keep him.

Forum List

Back