If god does exist

I've already made all my points. You're just hanging around after the party is over.

if god exists, why can't the incompetent oaf protect his word, get his history right, or maintain any consistency in his alleged word?

I know what you mean. There is so much contradiction and absurdity in the Bible that it is laughable – especially if you take the time and troubles to analyze it literally sentence-by-sentence. Here is a good place from which to start. Some of the contradiction has supposedly been explained away, but many of the explanations practically amount to “well, the writer was wrong” or “that part is a parable – not to be taken literally. It is a cop-out. If you can’t take some of it as absolute literal fact, then how do we know what is true? Anyway, here is the link.

Skeptic's Annotated Bible / Quran / Book of Mormon

True biblical scholars explain the context and the times of the bible, and those aren't cop outs you're talking about, they're explanations based on true and intimate knowledge of history and literature.

I love it when ppl who have limited understanding of the bible scoff at those who have spent entire lifetimes studying it, saying they are either liars, stupid, or just don't understand the bible as well as the scoffers do.

Generally, scoffers fall into one of two groups: They have NEVER read the bible except sporadically, or they read it fast in a frenzy during their adolescence and they are basing all their bigotry now on what they derived then.

prove it does. he who argues the positive bears the burden of proof

Are you positive he doesn't exist?

That was a cute play on words. I doubt that he exists. Look up “fallacies”. Nevermind. I’ll try to explain that one can’t prove that something does not exist. Prove to me that unicorns with webbed feet do not exist. I have a magic charm. It keeps those 8-feet-tall three-headed duck-billed plaid giraffes away. You have not seen any, so I guess that my magic charm works. Don’t you see the absurdity? When an arguer cannot provide the evidence for his claims, he may challenge his opponent to prove it doesn't exist (e.g., prove God doesn't exist; prove UFO's haven't visited earth, etc.). Although one may prove non-existence in special limitations, such as showing that a particular box next to him does not contain certain items, one cannot prove universal or absolute non-existence, or non-existence out of ignorance. One cannot prove something that does not exist. The proof of existence must come from those who make the claims.

prove it does. he who argues the positive bears the burden of proof

That was a cute play on words. I doubt that he exists. Look up “fallacies”. Nevermind. I’ll try to explain that one can’t prove that something does not exist. Prove to me that unicorns with webbed feet do not exist. I have a magic charm. It keeps those 8-feet-tall three-headed duck-billed plaid giraffes away. You have not seen any, so I guess that my magic charm works. Don’t you see the absurdity? When an arguer cannot provide the evidence for his claims, he may challenge his opponent to prove it doesn't exist (e.g., prove God doesn't exist; prove UFO's haven't visited earth, etc.). Although one may prove non-existence in special limitations, such as showing that a particular box next to him does not contain certain items, one cannot prove universal or absolute non-existence, or non-existence out of ignorance. One cannot prove something that does not exist. The proof of existence must come from those who make the claims.

Could it be that personal revelation is my proof. Faith led me to this personal revelation and because you do not have faith the revelation is not there or you are simply ignoring it.

Could it be that personal revelation is my proof. Faith led me to this personal revelation and because you do not have faith the revelation is not there or you are simply ignoring it.

personal belief has nothing to do with reality.

You are no different than a man who claims to see people noone else can- and says that if they believe him, they'll see him too. Wait, that's exactly what you're saying...

It's a mental illness, and i recommend you get help

Or do you have the mental illness because you can not see what is there. Do you in fact rely on the testimony of other people who are there to support your claim that the person is not there?

Fair enough. Do you think that you received a personal revelation? Are you certain that it is not wishful thinking or a bizarre dream? Oh well. Personal revelation can’t be logically proven or disproven.

I have faith. I have faith that this chair that I sit in will not break. The proof that I have for this faith is that I “see” that the nails are long thick and strong. I “feel” no bending of the wooden legs as I carefully sit down. I “hear” no creaking while I shift my weight on it.

I had a personal revelation of that bizarre giraffe one day. Just kidding.

Last edited:

Fair enough. Do you think that you received a personal revelation? Are you certain that it is not wishful thinking or a bizarre dream? Oh well. Personal revelation can’t be logically proven or disproven.

I have faith. I have faith that this chair that I sit in will not break. The proof that I have for this faith is that I “see” that the nails are long thick and strong. I “feel” no bending of the wooden legs as I carefully sit down. I “hear” no creaking while I shift my weight on it.

But we can test your faith, by putting something on the chair equal to your weight and observing it not breaking.

We can't do anything like that for God.

So if you have faith in only what you can prove you do not really have faith merely proof thus the existence of Faith is irrational to you.

But we can test your faith, by putting something on the chair equal to your weight and observing it not breaking.

We can't do anything like that for God.

:doubt: That is an interesting point but don’t some people test their faith in front of others? In some Christian religions, people handle poisonous snakes. Some of those snake-handlers get bitten. In other Christian religions, some sick people refuse to receive blood transfusions. Some of those sick people die of easily treatable illnesses.

I asked, if god exists, why doesn't he just hold a press conference on the White House lawn?

It wouldn't be necessary as he sounds like he can communicate without our technology, nor would he choose one 'lawn' as that befits a small, local scale and were one omnipresent - even a lawn as freedom loving and glorious as the WH would be small potatoes.

You seem to think existence leads to communication, which is odd. The first few millions of years God populated the planet with walnut-size brained thunder lizards, so perhaps a chit-chat with the one special creature he made in his image is not a priority?

either you follow the word and law of god or you follow satan

these are teachings of the King's Holy Library (you callit it the 'book' or bible)

With us or against us, huh?

What is following Satan exactly? Since I don't follow Jesus, I must be following *HIM*, who seems to compell me to honesty, friendship, helping others, asking questions, falling in love, starting a family, trying to pollute less and make the planet a more friendly, livable sustainable thing, working hard, eating right...

What is Jesus' problem with all that? Why is he such a hater?

I asked, if god exists, why doesn't he just hold a press conference on the White House lawn?

It wouldn't be necessary as he sounds like he can communicate without our technology, nor would he choose one 'lawn' as that befits a small, local scale and were one omnipresent - even a lawn as freedom loving and glorious as the WH would be small potatoes.

You seem to think existence leads to communication, which is odd. The first few millions of years God populated the planet with walnut-size brained thunder lizards, so perhaps a chit-chat with the one special creature he made in his image is not a priority?

What about the myth of the burning bush that spoke to Moses but did not turn to ashes? Why won’t god do that again? What about the parting of the Red Sea or the great flood. Come to think of it, how did Noah get the dinosaurs on the ark?

Forum List

Back