If a new planet was found, would you go?

No, farming is too hard a life for me.
There is beauty in it's simplicity and peace. Do not knock it till you try it. There is something special and right about making your living off the land that can not be explained unless you have done it. I hold several profesional licenses including surveyor,civil engineer,appraiser, and upto 300 ton ship captain. I have found farmer and ship captain to be the most rewarding. I find myself depressed when my fishng charter ends and not freeking wait to get up and do it again the next day. I like captain best if I am running fishing charters. As far as farming goes planting and harest are pretty happy times. Animals are a pain in the ass you can never get away from them but they sure taste good. If you have no animals fishing in the keys all winter is pretty nice.
Conceptually I see the beauty and simplicity of being a self sufficient farmer. Realistically I know that I enjoy my leisure time too much to be working 14 hour days keeping a farm going. I have relatives who are farmers and I have no idea how they do it.

James and I moved to the hillbilly boonies to be hillbillies in the boonies.

We don't have a farm, we have 7 acres to do with what we will, and after the regs of cali, it's a wonderful sense of freedom.

I have planted a garden each year for 5 years now with varied results.

Some years I get nothing but fat bunnies and deer, some years I get fat racoons and possum.

All years they get yummies and I get paw and hoof prints on my face.

There is beauty in it's simplicity and peace. Do not knock it till you try it. There is something special and right about making your living off the land that can not be explained unless you have done it. I hold several profesional licenses including surveyor,civil engineer,appraiser, and upto 300 ton ship captain. I have found farmer and ship captain to be the most rewarding. I find myself depressed when my fishng charter ends and not freeking wait to get up and do it again the next day. I like captain best if I am running fishing charters. As far as farming goes planting and harest are pretty happy times. Animals are a pain in the ass you can never get away from them but they sure taste good. If you have no animals fishing in the keys all winter is pretty nice.
Conceptually I see the beauty and simplicity of being a self sufficient farmer. Realistically I know that I enjoy my leisure time too much to be working 14 hour days keeping a farm going. I have relatives who are farmers and I have no idea how they do it.

We don't have a farm, we have 7 acres to do with what we will, and after the regs of cali, it's a wonderful sense of freedom.

Some years I get nothing but fat bunnies and deer, some years I get fat racoons and possum.

Sounds like heaven to me!!

Lets pretend a new planet has been discovered...not too far away..and is able to sustain human life. Governments all around the globe are offering free land if you go there permanently. Would you go?

Weird premise.

What claim to the lands on another planet would the governments here have?

The land on another planet would not belong to the government's here, for them to have the right to give it away.

Did anyone every read HG Wells "War of the Worlds"? Remember what happen to the Martians?

If humans ever went to an earth like planet with a diverse biosphere the same thing would happen to them as what happen to the Martians in Well's book.

There would be viruses and other bugs that they would have absolutely no immunity to.

On the other side of the coin just think of the diseases we would bring to that planet.

I'll eat an antibiotic sammich everyday.

You only have antibiotics for "biotics" you know of. When you get to another planet there will be thousands that you have no knowledge of or immunity to.

That sandwich better be pretty damn good are else you are pretty well fucked.

Dogs, rifle and a scare crow buddy. Can also plant species that repel them.
8 Animals and the Plants That Repel Them

In a heartbeat.
Maybe I'll just stay here then.
Wouldn't want any conservitard snowflakes there anyway.
There would be no government on a new planet, so your political affiliation would be meaningless.
Did you scold the first guy to mention it, or just me?
Scold? All I said was your political affiliation would be meaningless.

Sounds like heaven to me!!

It is. Mostly.

Lets pretend a new planet has been discovered...not too far away..and is able to sustain human life. Governments all around the globe are offering free land if you go there permanently. Would you go?

Weird premise.

The land on another planet would not belong to the government's here, for them to have the right to give it away.

It's just a fun question, Chuz. We don't always have to be serious, do we?

Did anyone every read HG Wells "War of the Worlds"? Remember what happen to the Martians?

If humans ever went to an earth like planet with a diverse biosphere the same thing would happen to them as what happen to the Martians in Well's book.

There would be viruses and other bugs that they would have absolutely no immunity to.

On the other side of the coin just think of the diseases we would bring to that planet.

You only have antibiotics for "biotics" you know of. When you get to another planet there will be thousands that you have no knowledge of or immunity to.

It was just a joke.

Criminy!

Weird premise.

Okay.

Having rejected the notion that the land on another planet would belong to any of the governments here. . . then, my answer is no. I have little interest in traveling much more on this planet, let alone in space travel. And I agree with some of the previous posts. It would take relatively little to no time at all for "travelers" to create the same problems there that we have here on the planet now.

Weird premise.

Okay.

Having rejected the notion that the land on another planet would belong to any of the governments here. . . then, my answer is no. I have little interest in traveling much more on this planet, let alone in space travel. And I agree with some of the previous posts. It would take relatively little to no time at all for "travelers" to create the same problems there that we have here on the planet now.

Alrighty then.

But there might be great space beer and karaoke that's outta this world.

See what I did there? :)

I voted no too, btw. I'm just here for chuckles and grins.

No I wouldn't go

what for?

No I don't need to go anywhere

It was just a joke.

Criminy!
Some party poopers just can't play impossible hypothetical scenarios. No fun at all.
Probably doesn't have a plan on how to spend a Powerball winning either.
A regular Sir Buzzkillington.

It was just a joke.

Criminy!
Some party poopers just can't play impossible hypothetical scenarios. No fun at all.
Probably doesn't have a plan on how to spend a Powerball winning either.
A regular Sir Buzzkillington.

LOL!

I've spent a million a million times, in my mind...

And if I win a hypothetical million in the lottery, I don't even take out taxes!!!

Forum List

Back