Idf Soldiers Facing New Type Of War: Poverty

P F Tinmore

Diamond Member
Dec 6, 2009
I keep hearing that Israel's economy is going great. Then why can't they pay their troops?

In what appears to be a growing trend of letter writing by groups of soldiers regarding pressing social issues, a letter was published last week by a group of IDF combat soldiers from an unnamed unit, claiming that they “have nothing to eat” when they return home from their bases.

“Because the military salary does not even provide for our most basic necessities, we have all become beggars since being recruited to the IDF – we have debts at the bank and everywhere else. Instead of resting after grueling training exercises, we have no choice but to work in stressful jobs to pay debts or to help our parents with the extra 300 shekels per month we earn in the military,” it read.

Read more at IDF Soldiers Facing New Type of War Poverty - Israel News

I keep hearing that Israel's economy is going great. Then why can't they pay their troops?

In what appears to be a growing trend of letter writing by groups of soldiers regarding pressing social issues, a letter was published last week by a group of IDF combat soldiers from an unnamed unit, claiming that they “have nothing to eat” when they return home from their bases.

“Because the military salary does not even provide for our most basic necessities, we have all become beggars since being recruited to the IDF – we have debts at the bank and everywhere else. Instead of resting after grueling training exercises, we have no choice but to work in stressful jobs to pay debts or to help our parents with the extra 300 shekels per month we earn in the military,” it read.

Just typical soldier griping, Tinmore. Read the article and see what the IDFs response was. You're nitpicking again.

I just read a news article today that said that the IDF are reading their Torah - more! It truly blessed me to read that! God bless the IDF! It is good to seek the LORD! I was so very blessed to read that news report today, Hossfly! I will have to find that news article and post it for others. God willing.

Huge Increase in Demand for IDF Prayer Services - Inside Israel - News - Arutz Sheva

500173.jpg

Shofar
Flash 90
Whether it's as a response to Operation Protective Edge or for some other reason, demand for cantors, Torah readers, rabbis, and others to lead synagogue services in IDF bases is at an all-time high. To help satisfy the demand, graduates of Hesder yeshivas are organizing groups of soldiers, reserve troops, and non-military Israelis to join soldiers on bases during the High Holidays.
Generally, groups from institutions like Beit Orot, one of the yeshivas organizing the effort, would provide assistance for Yom Kippur, when “everybody” goes to prayer services. This year, however, there is also a great demand for people to help run services on Rosh Hashana, which begins next week. Among those the group is seeking are qualified shofar-blowers, who are very much in demand during the holiday, where the highlight of prayers is the sounding of the ram's horn.
One of the organizers, Yisrael Speyer, attributes the demand to the summer war. “We got a huge increase in the number of inquiries from the army, and we need volunteers to ensure that every soldier who wants to can pray and hear the shofar.

What a blessing to see the IDF seeking after spiritual food over food for the body. They truly are seeking God and to draw nearer to God and this is truly a sign of God moving upon the hearts of his people in Israel. I love this story. It was posted on the United with Israel news site where they reported that Torah reading is growing with the IDF! They are drawing nearer to the LORD.

Last edited:

Israel economy IS going great. Theres no relation to the economy and this article. The government spends a fixed amount on the military every year.

Isn't interesting that the IDF stands with their nation and shows up irregardless of pay? These men are faithful. Their love for Israel and their brethren is very genuine and their increase in Torah reading and desiring prayer is more evidence that their hearts are drawing nearer and nearer to God. God bless them!

IDF soldiers don't have anything near the veteran's benefits we do in the US. When they get out of the military, they get a small lump sum bonus, which sees a lot of them as far as Tibet, where heroin and hash are plentiful and cheap. Substance abuse amongst young IDF veterans is yet one more skeleton in Israel's closet that nobody wants to talk about.

It is yet another attempt by you, Mr. Sweetnam, to slander the IDF yet it does not negate the truth which is that the IDF is reading their Torah's more, seeking the LORD and drawing near to the LORD which would indicate that what you have heard is a false report. Be careful to fact check who it is you are reading. The writers on some websites are known liars. You cannot expect to hear the truth from a liar, Mr. Sweetnam. Fact check your sources before believing what they say.

You're way off the mark on IDF.

It is yet another attempt by you, Mr. Sweetnam, to slander the IDF yet it does not negate the truth which is that the IDF is reading their Torah's more, seeking the LORD and drawing near to the LORD which would indicate that what you have heard is a false report. Be careful to fact check who it is you are reading. The writers on some websites are known liars. You cannot expect to hear the truth from a liar, Mr. Sweetnam. Fact check your sources before believing what they say.

Actually, @Jeremiah , things are getting better lately but the IDF does have a problem amongst younger soldiers regarding alcohol and drugs. A couple years ago there were reports and news articles about IDF veterans in Tibet and India.

JewishPost.com - Former Israeli Soldiers "Flipping Out" in India

Isn't interesting that the IDF stands with their nation and shows up irregardless of pay? These men are faithful. Their love for Israel and their brethren is very genuine and their increase in Torah reading and desiring prayer is more evidence that their hearts are drawing nearer and nearer to God. God bless them!
I thought it was mandatory.

Or would that be manda Torah? :dunno:

How old are you, genius? 16? Google "IDF veterans + substance abuse"

Hey, don't go hatin' on the Jerms. :slap:

I did some cursory Google and whereas it appears there is some substance abuse among IDF veterans, I think the same could be said for troops worldwide.

Actually, @Jeremiah , things are getting better lately but the IDF does have a problem amongst younger soldiers regarding alcohol and drugs. A couple years ago there were reports and news articles about IDF veterans in Tibet and India.

JewishPost.com - Former Israeli Soldiers "Flipping Out" in India
I didn't know of it but thank you for letting me know. Many wonderful people get caught up with alcohol and drugs, you know. It means nothing when I consider some of the people I've known - truly precious people with a very loving heart - very sensitive people and maybe that is part of the reason for the addiction in the first place. Some mean people came into their life and treated them so badly or they were not appreciated by family members and it just crushed them badly. And if we were in the IDF who knows how we'd be feeling with all the slanted news stories out there trying to slander them and say things that are not true about them. It is a very delicate balance to be sensitive which God does want us to be sensitive and yet remain vigilant and not let the enemy attack you there - or get you to the place of despair. these young men will have to learn to encourage themselves in the LORD like King David did. I will be praying for them.

I did some cursory Google and whereas it appears there is some substance abuse among IDF veterans, I think the same could be said for troops worldwide.

Thanks for the information, Mr. H. I trust you to tell me the truth on it and accept that they are going through some tough times about now and I will be praying for them.

I surely do love you and thank God for you. . thank you.

I am a grandmother. But I am young at heart. Thanks for the compliment.

I just read a news article today that said that the IDF are reading their Torah - more! It truly blessed me to read that! God bless the IDF! It is good to seek the LORD! I was so very blessed to read that news report today, Hossfly! I will have to find that news article and post it for others. God willing.

Freak.

Murdering children by day, stealing land all week, and provoking wish-they-were-sleeping-villagers by night.
But reading a book about a fundamentalist vengeful inhumane god makes them 'good'?

Stroll on.

Thanks for the information, Mr. H. I trust you to tell me the truth on it and accept that they are going through some tough times about now and I will be praying for them.

I surely do love you and thank God for you. . thank you.
Thanks for the platitudes but to be honest, I can and have at times let loose with vile and profanely acerbic tirades around here. Even towards the Jewish community. I'm a man of many turd stripes and colors. ;)

Freak.

Murdering children by day, stealing land all week, and provoking wish-they-were-sleeping-villagers by night.
But reading a book about a fundamentalist vengeful inhumane god makes them 'good'?

Stroll on.
What a vivid imagination you have, Bubba. You should be writing scripts for Pallywood. You're that good!

Israel has plenty of money.

Just its with the rich people. The others are just there to make up voting numbers, on behalf of the rich.

1. This article speak about the reservists, people with family in home, thing is there was a bureaucracy problem which caused a delay with their payment, taxes was still charged and left wing made a celebration over the budget delaying their payment because of the bureaucratic definition of Protective Edge.
2. The Salary is terrible for the 2-3 years civil duty soldiers - about 120$-300$ a month for non-combat to combat soldiers but increasing, and its much more complicated than that, I can explain just ask.
3. The Economy is not great but we keep growing and this is whats great, everyone can live well if they truly willing to work for it, semi-capitalistic economy :)D).

Forum List

Back