I will quote my friend, 5 years out of prison

I think if they sserved their time they can vote.

its a state to state thing

Agreed...and they should be able to legally own a firearm.

no. they really shouldn't.

neither should people involved in domestic violence.

drug addicts.

mentally ill people.

That's a hell of a plan because as we know, criminals will certainly obey the law. Just look at the cities with the toughest guns laws: New York, LA, Philly, Detroit, Chicago...hardly any crime that utilizes a firearm. If we just have more laws, those violent husbands, drug addicts and crazies will certainly obey them, right?

So someone CAN be rehabilitated enough to retain their voting privileges but not all the other guarantees afforded citizens? Shall you be the one to determine which rights are granted and which are not? What if his crime was voter fraud? Your inconsistency here smacks more of an anti-gun bias than a logical opinion on felony punishment after time is served.

Rights come with responsibilities. You have the right to own a gun, but you also have responsibility to use that gun within the law. If you violate that right you no longer are afforded that right.
If you have a career criminal who votes for people who cater to criminals and votes for people who undermine our justice system in return for those votes, he should not have that right. Our justice system and judicial system should not be effected in any way shape or form by those who are career criminals.
Now a lesser offensive offender I could agree should be able to vote, your none career offenders and low security inmates.
It's funny how the left always screams "rights rights rights!!!", but when it comes to responsibilities they get all pissed off about it.

Um dude ,you just agreed with me more than this con

No I didn't, you want them all to have those rights back. I dont.

i don't think Felons should be able to Vote unless they give a LARGE sum of Community Service hours, first.

There are people who were wrongly convicted.

some states return the right automatically

The discussion pertains to politics on this way: Welfare.

I can have these discussions because I was around it, and I've also 2 family members who are EMT/Firemen who have HUNDREDS of stories about these things, and all of the waste out there makes me pretty sad.

Update on GT's life:

My friend Jay got laid off and just threw me a text to tell me. He works for NYS, as an Engineer. He voted "no" to the contract the Governor proposed, and in the contract not passing, the layoffs had to occur.

My issue is that he was just telling me yesterday that, in 12 days, he gets 5 more Vacation days and a few days after that, he gets 5 more sick days. He and everyone he works with are late to work almost every single day with no care or worries. They have more sick and vacation days than anyone, in any job, that I've ever met BEFORE the more that he was about to get.

It's hard for me to see these things and the State going broke and wondering why better management isn't a pretty simple solution.

not to start an ugly debate..

But management is not in control of items such as vacation days, sick days, etc.

Unions use those items to negotiate when a state can not afford to negotiate higher salaries.

They are given freely to avoid a strike.

I see it at the private level.

This past May 1st was a union contract expiration. MY client, during negotiations, produced the financials showing how the recession had an adverse affect on them and there was a negative profit and the best they can give is a col increase.

The union said it would accept the COL increase BUT insisted on 3 additional personal days for all union memebers for the coming year and the right to renegotiate the salary increase in 6 months.

They settled on a COL (3%) and 2 extra personal days...and the right to renegopatiate in 6 months.

i don't think Felons should be able to Vote unless they give a LARGE sum of Community Service hours, first.

Wrongful convictions are a different beast entirely, and they're a nature of the beast in any judicial system. You can't base your whole crime and punishment on the fact that it can't be 100% perfect; otherwise, the leniency that creates will not deter the criminals @ all.

Its not an inconsistancy.

They have proven a danger to soceity.

they can not kill anyone by voting.

But they can effect and undermine our judicial system with such votes.

They served their time and they should be allowed to vote.

I want NO ONE to be able to take the right to vote from people.

It gives incentive to falsely charge a nd convict people for poltical reasons.

Lets remember the Judge who was incarcerating kids for money.

I find it ironic that you bounced from the Beverly Perdue thread where the governor talked about suspending elections, and now your over here saying that even convicted felons should retain the right to vote. Are you going to go back to the perdue thread and explain yourself about when you accused Bush of threatening to suspend elections in 2008?
Or are you going to hang out here and debate whether convicts should retain the rights not afforded to them due to committing crimes?

The discussion pertains to politics on this way: Welfare.

I can have these discussions because I was around it, and I've also 2 family members who are EMT/Firemen who have HUNDREDS of stories about these things, and all of the waste out there makes me pretty sad.

Update on GT's life:

My friend Jay got laid off and just threw me a text to tell me. He works for NYS, as an Engineer. He voted "no" to the contract the Governor proposed, and in the contract not passing, the layoffs had to occur.

My issue is that he was just telling me yesterday that, in 12 days, he gets 5 more Vacation days and a few days after that, he gets 5 more sick days. He and everyone he works with are late to work almost every single day with no care or worries. They have more sick and vacation days than anyone, in any job, that I've ever met BEFORE the more that he was about to get.

It's hard for me to see these things and the State going broke and wondering why better management isn't a pretty simple solution.

not to start an ugly debate..

But management is not in control of items such as vacation days, sick days, etc.

Unions use those items to negotiate when a state can not afford to negotiate higher salaries.

They are given freely to avoid a strike.

I see it at the private level.

This past May 1st was a union contract expiration. MY client, during negotiations, produced the financials showing how the recession had an adverse affect on them and there was a negative profit and the best they can give is a col increase.

The union said it would accept the COL increase BUT insisted on 3 additional personal days for all union memebers for the coming year and the right to renegotiate the salary increase in 6 months.

They settled on a COL (3%) and 2 extra personal days...and the right to renegopatiate in 6 months.

I was using the term Management in the General, not the specific (not the actual "Manager," but more-so, we need someone MANAGING these things better).

Rights come with responsibilities. You have the right to own a gun, but you also have responsibility to use that gun within the law. If you violate that right you no longer are afforded that right.
If you have a career criminal who votes for people who cater to criminals and votes for people who undermine our justice system in return for those votes, he should not have that right. Our justice system and judicial system should not be effected in any way shape or form by those who are career criminals.
Now a lesser offensive offender I could agree should be able to vote, your none career offenders and low security inmates.
It's funny how the left always screams "rights rights rights!!!", but when it comes to responsibilities they get all pissed off about it.

I am a liberal the other poster is not.

I said they should not be able to own a gun.

I did say they should have their voting rights returned.

You think the poster wants their gun rights restored but not their voting rights?

G.T. I hope your friend stays out of trouble, and I hope I dont have to be the one shaking his cell down in the near future. But I'm gonna go check out some other threads, tell your friend I said good luck.

G.T. I hope your friend stays out of trouble, and I hope I dont have to be the one shaking his cell down in the near future. But I'm gonna go check out some other threads, tell your friend I said good luck.

Unfortunately, I'm not so sure about him stayiong out of trouble. :doubt:

But they can effect and undermine our judicial system with such votes.

I find it ironic that you bounced from the Beverly Perdue thread where the governor talked about suspending elections, and now your over here saying that even convicted felons should retain the right to vote. Are you going to go back to the perdue thread and explain yourself about when you accused Bush of threatening to suspend elections in 2008?
Or are you going to hang out here and debate whether convicts should retain the rights not afforded to them due to committing crimes?

I dont recall talking about Bush susspending elections could you direct me to the post where you thought I said that?

You think the poster wants their gun rights restored but not their voting rights?

I never made such a claim, All I was saying that with rights comes responsibilities, no matter what rights are being discussed. If you violate the publics trust you should not be guaranteed those rights anymore. I dont make the laws, I just follow them.

Last edited:

I never made such a claim, All I was saying that with rights comes responsibilities, no matter what rights are being discussed. If you violate the publics trust you should be guaranteed those rights anymore. I dont make the laws, I just follow them.

I never said you said anything in that last post.

I asked you a question?

I dont recall talking about Bush susspending elections could you direct me to the post where you thought I said that?

Go back to the Perdue thread and read the first few pages, someone on their is the one accusing you of it. If you read the whole thread you will see where they are trying to get you to explain yourself on it. If you did not notice that from when you where there before you might wanna go check that out if it's a lie like you say it is. I might be a conservative, but I do believe in people having the options to explain themselves and defend themselves. You might wanna check that out.

if they're "wrongly convicted", presumably they will be exonerated in most instances.

if they are exonerated, the record is expunged.

if the record is expunged, there is no more felony conviction and the right to vote is restored automatically.

even with a legitimate conviction, after a certain number of years, the person may make an application to have their voting rights restored.

I never made such a claim, All I was saying that with rights comes responsibilities, no matter what rights are being discussed. If you violate the publics trust you should be guaranteed those rights anymore. I dont make the laws, I just follow them.

I never said you said anything in that last post.

I asked you a question?

I'm confused then, what are we talking about and exactly what was your question so that I can clarify.

Nope not interested in that thread.

its stupid thing to say and I stated that.

People do say stupid things and should have it held against them Just like I sated in the thread.

Its a non issue her voters will hold her accountable for.

Im not her voter so I cant do much be denouce her stupidity which I already did.

Forum List

Back