I was wrong

Not at all. This is a basic rot in the framework of the Capitalistic economy. When good work ethics, when improving skills, no longer pays, there is no reason to have or do either. When you have people that are actually driving previously healthy companies into the ground, and getting multi-million dollar bonuses for their efforts, what incentative is there for acountability on the factory floor?

This rot will destroy this nation if it is not stopped.

What is the "rot" that you cite? For decades, due to the state of the world, the USA was dominant economically. Even with the re-emerganence of some European powers and Japan.

Now comes Korea and China and India and they are providing better value. Why? They can produce more EFFICIENTLY than the USA can produce. You call this cheap labor. It is really efficiency. If you can buy one of two choices of absolutely equal quality but one is significantly less expensive, the less expensive one is a better value and therefore should be your choice.

For decades, the USA provided the better value. It no longer does this.

No big conspiracy. No big mystery. American products are often more expensive than the competition and often lower quality. Higher expense with lower quality equals bad value.

When there is bad value in an American car, what is the solution? Start a campaign talking about quality being job 1, and how it is UN-American to buy a foreign car.

When there is bad value in a Korean car, what is the solution? First, lower the price, then offer a 100,000 mile bumper to bumper warrenty that covers everything from an engine failing to a driver that runs out of gas.

The Americans say that there must be something wrong with the buyer and the Koreans say there must be something wrong with the car.

American know how has become American impudence. If American products were the best value products, they would outsell all others. They don't. They aren't.

At some point, no matter how beautiful the theory, the results must be examined.

The results have been examined. We pay our CEOs more than any other nation on earth. We pay them no matter what the results.

But we put the blame for the failure of the system on the fellow working on the factory floor, in spite of the fact that the level of wages in real money terms has been about level for the last 30 years.

The fellow assembling the car does not make the decision as to the quality of the car, that is done by the upper management.

The rot is exactly where I said it was. No accountability for the people making the decisions, no reward for those actually doing the work.

We Don't pay CEOs anything. privately held businesses pay their CEOs.

No money is taken from you to pay a CEO's salary.

And if you don't like that a CEO gets paid a high salary, you don't have to work for that company or buy that company's products or purchase stock in that company do you?

And the level is the same because the dollar has been devalued by more than 50%. the dudes in the penthouses aren't doing this cause it hurts them as much if not more so than you. that one belongs to government policy makers. And Obama is aiding and abetting dollar depreciation as much if not more than any president in history.

What is the "rot" that you cite? For decades, due to the state of the world, the USA was dominant economically. Even with the re-emerganence of some European powers and Japan.

Now comes Korea and China and India and they are providing better value. Why? They can produce more EFFICIENTLY than the USA can produce. You call this cheap labor. It is really efficiency. If you can buy one of two choices of absolutely equal quality but one is significantly less expensive, the less expensive one is a better value and therefore should be your choice.

For decades, the USA provided the better value. It no longer does this.

No big conspiracy. No big mystery. American products are often more expensive than the competition and often lower quality. Higher expense with lower quality equals bad value.

When there is bad value in an American car, what is the solution? Start a campaign talking about quality being job 1, and how it is UN-American to buy a foreign car.

When there is bad value in a Korean car, what is the solution? First, lower the price, then offer a 100,000 mile bumper to bumper warrenty that covers everything from an engine failing to a driver that runs out of gas.

The Americans say that there must be something wrong with the buyer and the Koreans say there must be something wrong with the car.

American know how has become American impudence. If American products were the best value products, they would outsell all others. They don't. They aren't.

At some point, no matter how beautiful the theory, the results must be examined.

The results have been examined. We pay our CEOs more than any other nation on earth. We pay them no matter what the results.

But we put the blame for the failure of the system on the fellow working on the factory floor, in spite of the fact that the level of wages in real money terms has been about level for the last 30 years.

The fellow assembling the car does not make the decision as to the quality of the car, that is done by the upper management.

The rot is exactly where I said it was. No accountability for the people making the decisions, no reward for those actually doing the work.

And if you don't like that a CEO gets paid a high salary, you don't have to work for that company or buy that company's products or purchase stock in that company do you?

Like hell the money is not taken from me and every other worker to pay the obscene salaries of the CEOs. Were not these leeches taking huge amounts for incompetance, my wages would be higher. And the stockholders would recieve a higher return.

Only an idiot would defend a system that has created the economic situation that we see today.

And the level is the same because the dollar has been devalued by more than 50%. the dudes in the penthouses aren't doing this cause it hurts them as much if not more so than you. that one belongs to government policy makers. And Obama is aiding and abetting dollar depreciation as much if not more than any president in history.

Sure, idiot, sure. And spending three trillion on Iraq had no effect?

Like hell the money is not taken from me and every other worker to pay the obscene salaries of the CEOs. Were not these leeches taking huge amounts for incompetance, my wages would be higher. And the stockholders would recieve a higher return.

Only an idiot would defend a system that has created the economic situation that we see today.

The really obscene part is that companies have been pleading poverty, threatening workers with termination, cutting benefits, freezing salaries

Then turn around and give executives a 48% increase in salary

So the Hell what? Seems to me they should be educating themselves to move up the ladder, eh? WHY do some of you insist upon the Government forcing the rest of us to pay for their poor life choices?

Some of it isn't "poor life choices" some of it is luck, most of it is the background you came from.....

I have a friend who's been a maid for 30 years...she keeps getting pushed out of her jobs by immigrants and having to start over. She has a two year degree but no one will hire her for it because she has tourette's syndrome. I object to you thinking she doesn't deserve a living wage just because she has a neurological problem which makes people not want to be around her. She has a sister who worked for the same company for 30 years and just got laid off. At the age of 50, she is starting over and yes, she's even looking at minimum wage jobs....

Just because you've been lucky doesn't mean everyone has...and some of us have worked darn hard for what we have we don't deserve to lose it because the government made mistakes and allowed our jobs to go overseas and those that remained to be taken by immigrants and then decided to take OUR tax money and bail out the already wealthy banks, putting our children and grandchild in debt.

BTW, my brother in law has a doctorate and HE lost his job.....my nephew graduated from MIT and worked for Intel and now has gone back to school to become a lawyer because he knew his job was going to be gone.....

Because of few of you have been lucky, doesn't mean that everyone else is lazy.....or uneducated.

But, Sheila, we all have opportunities to make something of ourselves. None of us are forbidden from doing the best we can. I was going to be a CPA. I made the choice to join the Coast Guard, get married, have three kids and forgo the certification. I could have made a lot more money than I am today if I had chosen a different career path. I made my choices and for better or worse, I have to live with those choices.

I don't expect to make as much income as the guy who chose to put in the effort to pass his CPA exam because he put that effort in while I took a different path. Sometimes, I regret making some of the decisions I made and sometimes I think about going back to school and changing careers, but for now I have made my own decisions and I live with them.

The people who I work for seem to have life easy. I'd even say the son of the owner was born with a silver spoon in his mouth, but I do not fault him for that and I don't expect to make as much money he does even though I work harder than he does because... well, because, my parents didn't risk the capital that his did. That is just life.

I'll make due with what I have and live with it.

Some people, such as your friend who is a maid, have to work harder than others. I'm sorry, but that is just how life is. But, when they achieve their goals... they really do earn them and feel that they have accomplished something. I worked my way through a four year college. I took out some loans, but paid them back. I feel that when I graduated, that I had earned it myself. It was not handed to me.

Some people do need extra help, the disabled, for instance, but none of us deserve to have the government support us just because we don't want to put in the effort to succeed.

Immie

Raising the minimum wage to a living wage isn't the government supporting them...it's actually taking away the government support of corporations like Walmart who have many of their workers on welfare. If you can't afford to pay your employee a living wage (ie enough for an apartment, transportation, health, utilities and clothes) then you shouldn't be operating a business in the first place.

In the richest country in the world there is no excuse for a working person to be homeless.

Some of it isn't "poor life choices" some of it is luck, most of it is the background you came from.....

I have a friend who's been a maid for 30 years...she keeps getting pushed out of her jobs by immigrants and having to start over. She has a two year degree but no one will hire her for it because she has tourette's syndrome. I object to you thinking she doesn't deserve a living wage just because she has a neurological problem which makes people not want to be around her. She has a sister who worked for the same company for 30 years and just got laid off. At the age of 50, she is starting over and yes, she's even looking at minimum wage jobs....

Just because you've been lucky doesn't mean everyone has...and some of us have worked darn hard for what we have we don't deserve to lose it because the government made mistakes and allowed our jobs to go overseas and those that remained to be taken by immigrants and then decided to take OUR tax money and bail out the already wealthy banks, putting our children and grandchild in debt.

BTW, my brother in law has a doctorate and HE lost his job.....my nephew graduated from MIT and worked for Intel and now has gone back to school to become a lawyer because he knew his job was going to be gone.....

Because of few of you have been lucky, doesn't mean that everyone else is lazy.....or uneducated.

But, Sheila, we all have opportunities to make something of ourselves. None of us are forbidden from doing the best we can. I was going to be a CPA. I made the choice to join the Coast Guard, get married, have three kids and forgo the certification. I could have made a lot more money than I am today if I had chosen a different career path. I made my choices and for better or worse, I have to live with those choices.

I don't expect to make as much income as the guy who chose to put in the effort to pass his CPA exam because he put that effort in while I took a different path. Sometimes, I regret making some of the decisions I made and sometimes I think about going back to school and changing careers, but for now I have made my own decisions and I live with them.

The people who I work for seem to have life easy. I'd even say the son of the owner was born with a silver spoon in his mouth, but I do not fault him for that and I don't expect to make as much money he does even though I work harder than he does because... well, because, my parents didn't risk the capital that his did. That is just life.

Some people, such as your friend who is a maid, have to work harder than others. I'm sorry, but that is just how life is. But, when they achieve their goals... they really do earn them and feel that they have accomplished something. I worked my way through a four year college. I took out some loans, but paid them back. I feel that when I graduated, that I had earned it myself. It was not handed to me.

Some people do need extra help, the disabled, for instance, but none of us deserve to have the government support us just because we don't want to put in the effort to succeed.

Immie

Raising the minimum wage to a living wage isn't the government supporting them...it's actually taking away the government support of corporations like Walmart who have many of their workers on welfare. If you can't afford to pay your employee a living wage (ie enough for an apartment, transportation, health, utilities and clothes) then you shouldn't be operating a business in the first place.

In the richest country in the world there is no excuse for a working person to be homeless.

Many business watchers were concerned when the legislation passed mandating a raise in the minimum wage. Their concern? They were afraid that the increase in the minimum wage would cause small business owners to stop hiring and just make do with the staff on hand.

These fears were dismissed as the rantings of the greedy who just did not want to share the wealth.

This last summer, teens seeking employment who could not find a job reached 25.5%. Interesting. The cost of hiring teens goes up and the rate of hiring teens goes down. The theory was that a raise in the minimum wage would not reduce hiring and it would increase the income of those that were hired despite the increased minimum.

No matter how beautiful the theory, at some point the results must be examined.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/09/05/business/economy/05teen.html?_r=1
Federal Minimum Wage Increase for 2009 plus 2010 State Minimum Wage Increase Rates from LaborLawCenter.com

Last edited:
We do not solve the problems of how our economy is working -- or faltering -- by permitting the government to wilfully violate Constitutional restraints, tread on our individual liberties, spend our money, print money (or its electronic representation) in unGodly sums, indebting us and our posterity for lifetimes to come.

What we SHOULD do is permit the workings of a capitalist system to weed out the failures thereby creating economic opportunites in the predicatable CYLE of such things. Let it run its course.

We don't?

Where the heck have you been for the last nine months? :razz:

Immie

Hm.

Well, maybe we TRY. But we shouldn't be doing that, either.

Immie

Many business watchers were concerned when the legislation passed mandating a raise in the minimum wage. Their concern? They were afraid that the increase in the minimum wage would cause small business owners to stop hiring and just make do with the staff on hand.

These fears were dismissed as the rantings of the greedy who just did not want to share the wealth.

This last summer, teens seeking employment who could not find a job reached 25.5%. Interesting. The cost of hiring teens goes up and the rate of hiring teens goes down. The theory was that a raise in the minimum wage would not reduce hiring and it would increase the income of those that were hired despite the increased minimum.

No matter how beautiful the theory, at some point the results must be examined.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/09/05/business/economy/05teen.html?_r=1
Federal Minimum Wage Increase for 2009 plus 2010 State Minimum Wage Increase Rates from LaborLawCenter.com

I don't have time to find it right now, but the previous two times the minimum wage was raised, there was no net loss of jobs. Disproving your theory that a raise in minimum wage means teens don't get hired. In fact, teens aren't getting hired because immigrants have taken their jobs....Check out your local Taco Bell.

There are plenty of studies from BOTH sides of the argument. The truth is that we had a good economy when minimum wage had it's highest spending power and the highest tax rate was more than 70%. Now minimum wage has the lowest spending power and the highest tax rate is in the 30 percentile and our economy is in the toilet.

So, in your vision of a successful company, the CEO makes allot less, the stockholders and you would make allot more, the cost of the products would remain the same the value would still be non-competitive and the downward spiral would continue.

Shrewd.

wealth is not a zero sum game. Just because one person makes a billion does not mean that someone else or a collective of someone elses loses a billion.

Actually, that is exactly what it means. Wealth is a finite resource, like oil - there is only so much out there. And what is the point of going to school, getting a job and working your ass off if you can't even make enough to live on, for the cost of living going up 100 fold ever year? While not getting raises or bonuses, working a 60 hour work week when everyone else in your office is laid off (jobs went to India!), knowing your employer will fire your ass at any moment when he realizes some inexperienced "warm body" will do your work for $10 an hour?

Oh and lets not mention the off-shore tax shelters and shell companies nor the fact that most large corporations pay no taxes due to the past corporatist policies.

Oh, but I only make 43k a year and I don't deserve a tax break even though my rate of payment when all is said and done is 40%. You think a millionaire pays 40% of their income? Hell no, they don't. Not even close. Yes, they are stealing money from us.

Last edited:

Immie

Anyone who is trying to support an apartment should not be working for minimum wage and should not be working for Walmart, McDonald's or the likes. They need to make the effort to get off their behinds and get a job that pays enough to support their needs.

Minimum wage as it is now, is not enough to support a family or even a single person living on their own and the government should not be deciding that any company HAS to pay more than a job is worth simply because someone can't live on the value of the job they are performing. If you can't live on a minimum wage then get off your butt and find a job you can afford to live on... or find a room mate. Simple as that.

THE GOVERNMENT SHOULD NOT BE FORCING COMPANIES TO PAY EXCESSIVE WAGES, PERIOD.

A kid in school living at home with little or no monthly expenses can afford to live on minimum wage. A person living in an apartment away from home and family support should not be trying to live on those wages.

Immie

Immie

Anyone who is trying to support an apartment should not be working for minimum wage and should not be working for Walmart, McDonald's or the likes. They need to make the effort to get off their behinds and get a job that pays enough to support their needs.

Minimum wage as it is now, is not enough to support a family or even a single person living on their own and the government should not be deciding that any company HAS to pay more than a job is worth simply because someone can't live on the value of the job they are performing. If you can't live on a minimum wage then get off your butt and find a job you can afford to live on... or find a room mate. Simple as that.

A kid in school living at home with little or no monthly expenses can afford to live on minimum wage. A person living in an apartment away from home and family support should not be trying to live on those wages.

Immie

Really, Immie..
You don't see the difference between a minimum wage job, always geared towards single kids not supporting a family, ie. fastfood or deliveries, and a job that in our history supported a family, ie. manufacturing or sales?

Immie

Really, Immie..
You don't see the difference between a minimum wage job, always geared towards single kids not supporting a family, ie. fastfood or deliveries, and a job that in our history supported a family, ie. manufacturing or sales?

Excuse me?

I think that was what I said. Did you read what I said?

Fast food and deliveries are geared for the high school kid working after school. Maybe even the mom who wants to work to earn a little extra money while the kids are away at school, but can't work full time due to other family constraints.

Manufacturing jobs and sales rarely are for minimum wage and if Ford can get away with paying its production workers minimum wage then those production workers who can't afford to work for minimum wage ought to go elsewhere. Same thing for sales. If your company won't pay wages that you can afford to live on then get out and get a job at one that will.

It is not up to Uncle Sam to make the company pay you $25 an hour to flip hamburgers.

Immie

and where the heck are the changes to keep this from happening again? obama's been in office 9 months....congress needs to address this....the world is wondering why we have not....?

because in spite of what fools like Chris and Rocks believes.....there is not a hell of a lot of difference between the parties....for Christ sakes..they both depend on the same people and industries to survive.....why would they do anything to destroy that which breaths life into them?....

what does living in any country have to do with how much a private co. pays their employees?.....20 years ago when i was making 20 bucks an hour there were people making minimum wage which was probably 3/3.50 an hour.....the difference....the minimum wage earners were the kids just getting out of high school,first job people.....a guy on TV yesterday claims he has been a bagger at Vons for 17 years,and makes like 11.00 bucks an hour and cant feed his family.....and he is 37 years old.....minimum wage wages,are for your first job .....not something you stay at for 30 years....

I can’t speak for Britain, but here in America we have been tolerating the inequality for quite a while. In America, the richest 1% hold more wealth than the bottom 90% combined and are making the largest share of national income since right before the stock market crash in 1928.

Obviously you have a reading comprehension problem...rectify that issue!!

The top 20% have nearly 90% of the nations wealth as of 2004. Your fucked up 1928 bullshit is a little dated so not only were you wrng before...you are STILL WRONG!!!

Wealth Distribution

Notice how the libs just skip right over this.

what does living in any country have to do with how much a private co. pays their employees?.....20 years ago when i was making 20 bucks an hour there were people making minimum wage which was probably 3/3.50 an hour.....the difference....the minimum wage earners were the kids just getting out of high school,first job people.....a guy on TV yesterday claims he has been a bagger at Vons for 17 years,and makes like 11.00 bucks an hour and cant feed his family.....and he is 37 years old.....minimum wage wages,are for your first job .....not something you stay at for 30 years....

That 17 year bagger is a perfect example of someone who epitomizes what a liberal is. They have absolutely no motivation to educate themselves, move up, make more money and set a good example for their family. If I were his kids I would use my fathers example of how NOT to live my life....plus I find the story highly suspect to begin with...a bagger at a FOOD STORE cannot feed his family?....after 17 years of service he is supposed to get an employee discount one would think....

Basically this story represents what is bad about our society and it's partially to blame for where we are today. The guy is a lazy ass and wants everything handed to him by the government ON MY FUCKING DIME so he can continue bagging groceries and wondering why his kids are out drinking, smoking pot and in juvenile detention centers.

wealth is not a zero sum game. Just because one person makes a billion does not mean that someone else or a collective of someone elses loses a billion.

Actually, that is exactly what it means. Wealth is a finite resource, like oil - there is only so much out there. And what is the point of going to school, getting a job and working your ass off if you can't even make enough to live on, for the cost of living going up 100 fold ever year? While not getting raises or bonuses, working a 60 hour work week when everyone else in your office is laid off (jobs went to India!), knowing your employer will fire your ass at any moment when he realizes some inexperienced "warm body" will do your work for $10 an hour?

Oh and lets not mention the off-shore tax shelters and shell companies nor the fact that most large corporations pay no taxes due to the past corporatist policies.

Oh, but I only make 43k a year and I don't deserve a tax break even though my rate of payment when all is said and done is 40%. You think a millionaire pays 40% of their income? Hell no, they don't. Not even close. Yes, they are stealing money from us.

$43k ??? Where do you work? Weinerschnitzel? Sounds like you need to educate yourself and move on. What you deserve is to realize the American dream...but that involves hard work and sacrifice on your part..not getting government entitlements handed to you at the expense of every one else.

Your such a genius..."wealth is a finite resource"....why not tell Obama to stop printing money? "..cost of living going up 100 fold every year...." Oh really? Please cite your source for this COMPLETE LOAD OF HORSESHIT!!!!

Forum List

Back