Dallas Police: One-Day Suspension For Officer Who Fatally Struck Child With Squad Car

Modbert

Daydream Believer
Sep 2, 2008
CRIME Blog | The Dallas Morning News

Dallas police officer who fatally struck a child last October received a one-day suspension during a disciplinary hearing this afternoon.

Senior Cpl. Michael Vaughn appeared before Assistant Chief Floyd Simpson, who oversees the city's seven patrol stations.

The punishment was for "for violating the emergency vehicle operations policy when he drove over the speed limit without activating the lights and sirens," police officials said.

Well it's nice that he feels sorry. However, if it were me or you there, we'd be facing heavy fines and most certainly jail time. Got to love the two different standards.

I would not want to be that police man. I can only imagine the agony he has gone through since that night in October even though the Grand Jury cleared him of wrong doing. Nothing will bring that young boy back and the officer is going to have to live with that for the rest of his life.

And I can't even imagine what the boy's parents must feel like.

How tragic!

Immie

here it is death by vehicle....when you kill someone accidently with the car

Yes, manslaughter used to be the charge here but juries wouldn't convict, so it was changed to "cause death by dangerous driving". Juries still won't convict.....

We have a former cop (who is now a cop in another state) who was tried for serious traffic offences when a motorcyclist he was pursuing had a prang and was killed. The cop car never hit the motorcycle, the motorcyclist lost control whilst being pursued. It was in a mall car park so the cop was pinched for dangerous driving but not cause death. We get treated like anyone else when we screw up and I for one can't think why it shouldn't be so.

Forum List

Back