I want a parade.

Discussion in 'Military' started by Zhukov, Dec 23, 2005.

1. Zhukov

Zhukov VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +301
    I want a parade, in fact I want several parades.

On June 10th, 1945, while US marines were still fighting and dieing in the Pacific, there was a ticker tape parade in NYC for Ike, our soldiers, and their victory in Europe.

A month and a half later, and about two weeks after the Emperor of Japan addressed his people, there was a parade in NYC for Gen. de Gaulle, as the interim President of liberated France.

A few weeks later there was a parade in NYC for Gen. Wainwright, hero of Corregidor.

About a month later, a parade in NYC for the head of the Pacific Fleet, Adm. Nimitz.

A few weeks later a parade for Truman.

A couple months later a parade for Adm. 'Bull' Halsey.

March of the following year a parade for Churchill.

Where the hell are our parades?

I want a parade for the soldiers who defeated the Taliban in Afghanistan, and a parade for Karzai.

I want a parade for the marines, sailors, pilots, and soldiers who defeated the Iraqi army, and a parade for Bremer.

I want a parade for all the marines and soldiers who have protected and rebuilt Iraq as the Iraqi people got their country back on it's feet.

I want a parade for the Iraqi soldiers who stood up for themselves, their families, and their country.

And I want a parade for Pres. Bush.

Are we at war or not? Why are we not celebrating our victories? Are we going to let liberal leftist propaganda shame us into dwelling on real and imagined failures rather than rejoicing in success? If we do then we lose the psychological battle they are waging against us.

I want a god damned parade!!

• Thank You! Thank You! x 6
  2. Nienna

Nienna Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +333
    He----uh---Heck Yeah!

You're right! Our boys do deserve a parade! This might make you feel a little better...

We have a family in our neighborhood; the husband was in the military. He was set to retire in a few months, when he found that he was assigned overseas for eighteen months. He left a wife (age 32) and two very young children. He completed his assignment successfully, and retuened home last year.

His wife organized a parade in the neighborhood. We made posters, etc. and were all set to cheer him when he drove home. The wife was supposed to call when they were almost home. Unfortunately, the stinker was so anxious to get home that he didn't wait for his wife to pick him up. He took a cab, and we didn't have any warning when he was coming. But it was the thought that counted, right?

Now, let's have some brass bands and little girls with batons (or in our neck of the woods, pick-up trucks with balloons taped to the sides, driven by men in plaid flannel)!

3. Semper Fi

Semper Fi VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +130
    But you gotta make sure you have the little car with the annoying horn and the kids on roller-blades holding on to ropes attached to the pick-up trucks.

4. archangel

archangel Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Move to Virginia City,Nevada...we have parades to celebrate parades...I suppose we are just bored...way too many parades.... :funnyface

5. Gunny

Gunny Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,770
    It is not politically correct to gloat over your vanquished enemies. Probably why I would do it in a heartbeat.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  6. 5stringJeff

5stringJeff Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +540
    Someone award that original post. That's in the top three posts ever made on this board.

7. Hobbit

Hobbit Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +421
    AND I WANT TICKER TAPE!!! Oh, so help me if there's no ticker tape!

8. padisha emperor

padisha emperor Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +53

A parade for ONE person, i don't think.
    A military procession with the soldiers to honor them, why not, like on the Champs Elysées in 1918. But I would feel quite strange if you compare parades of WWI or WWII's ends with the wars in Afghanistan and Iraq. They have not the same dimension.

GW Bush declared that the war in Iraq was over. So you're not at war.

9. CSM

CSM Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +708
    Well, the president has not declared the war on terrorism over, so ....

I guess you would feel strange about a parade now compared to a parade of WWI or WWII. At least for the latter, the French made a pretense of fighting....

10. Gunny

Gunny Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,770
    LMAO ... they DID try, didn't they?