I want a new puppy .. Any suggestions

Lovebears65

Gold Member
Apr 17, 2011
Georgia
We lost our Boston last year and just last week we lost our boston/jack russell mix . I want a new puppy. We have a pug and a weiner dog/rotty mix ( yes he looks like a weiner dog on steriods) . He is 16 and my pug is 3. We know the older one will not be here with us that much longer so we are looking into another pup in the next year. Any suggestions??? I would love to get another boston but I have yet to find a good breeder here in town. I have looked at the humain society without any luck as well. What other small/mid size dogs would you suggest??

If you have the room,get a Lab they are the best pets,love ya like no other.Fun happy dogs,but you need room and there is always the tail you have to watch out for.

My only suggestion is to Rescue. There are so many good puppies, young and old dogs that need a good home.

Google Dog Rescues in your area and you can search for exactly what you are looking for. Breed, age etc etc or you may see a pic of a dog you never would have thought of.

Rescue!!

A poodle is the second smartest breed. A miniature poodle would be good if you want an intelligent companion. Any poodle mix will have a high degree of intellect. A miniature Schnauzer will be alpha dog and whip the others right into line. If you have children a Shih-Tzu is a bad choice, they tend to be snappy. Bichon's are loving but not too smart. Terriers are, well you had a terrier so you know.

Both PetSmart and PetCo have adoption days for local rescues. Check them out too. There are breed specific rescues and every state has one or more. Put Boston Terrier Rescue into a search engine and breed specific rescues for each state will come up.

I had a Bullmastiff that was just the best dog. Mellow and quite-tempered, great in the house, she didn't shed much at all. Used to take her hiking and she'd stay right at my side. I like the doxie I have now, too, but she was raised with the Bully and isn't as hyper or noisy as doxies tend to be.

My only suggestion is to Rescue. There are so many good puppies, young and old dogs that need a good home.

Google Dog Rescues in your area and you can search for exactly what you are looking for. Breed, age etc etc or you may see a pic of a dog you never would have thought of.

Rescue!!

Agree.

The local dog kennel or humane society is the best source for a dog. And cheap, too. You usually just have to pay a few bucks for the dog to be spayed or neutered.

There are also prisons which have inmates who train dogs. I got a dog who was originally a police dog, and then was in one of the prison programs. So he is literally an ex-cop and an ex-con. :lol:

Avoid cocker spaniels. They have been inbred so much that many of them suffer from epilepsy and/or visciousness.

Black labs, and black lab mixes are my favorite. They are wild and crazy maniacs when they are young, but if you get a good one that settles down when he grows up there is no better dog. The smartest dog I ever had was a Black Lab mix. An Einstein of dogs. Got him from a kennel.

But then again, the stupidest one I ever had was a Black Lab mix. But he was also the very best behaved dog I ever had.

The smart one was disobedient. Very willful. If he managed to squeeze past me and get out the door without a leash, he was greased lightning. Gone in 60 seconds. :)

Last edited:
Pro Tip for retrieving a dog who won't come when you call: DO NOT chase the dog.

You will never catch a dog by chasing him. It's a game to the dog. He will let you get within a few feet, pretending to be sniffing some grass or whatnot, and then just when you think you are in grabbing range, the dog will take off. Then the dog will stop a few few yards further the road and do it again. They will do this for hours. The more time goes by, the more their chances of getting run over goes up.

Instead, make eye contact with the dog and then run AWAY from the dog. This is also a game to the dog, but one where he chases you instead of the other way around. Let the dog chase you all the way back to the house.

Try it. You will be amazed at the simplicity and effectiveness of this method.

Another method is to get the car. Drive by the dog with the door open and call to him. No dog can pass up a ride in the car.

Last edited:
We lost our Boston last year and just last week we lost our boston/jack russell mix . I want a new puppy. We have a pug and a weiner dog/rotty mix ( yes he looks like a weiner dog on steriods) . He is 16 and my pug is 3. We know the older one will not be here with us that much longer so we are looking into another pup in the next year. Any suggestions??? I would love to get another boston but I have yet to find a good breeder here in town. I have looked at the humain society without any luck as well. What other small/mid size dogs would you suggest??

French Bulldog Rescue Groups < Georgia >

4687373486_75a2dcb90b_z.jpg

Rescue!!

Good suggestion.

Find a dog who'd love a good home.

Flip the home upside-down, step outside your comfort zone, screw with your dogs and get a cat.

I have a beloved Boston terrier that right now isnt doing too well. She was a rescue and is the sweetest dog ever

. there's so many great dogs out there.... I work pt at a vet so I see many and they are all great in their own way.

good luck and let us know if you find one.

I had a friend who always got Jack Russells. She'd drive all the way across America to get one. The ones she had were wonderful animals and filled their home with love. Just sayin.'

I fell in love with a puppy at the pound because she was polite to the other puppies. She turned out to be a black lab. I had no idea what loving, loyal animals they were. She was music to my eye as a puppy, so her moniker of course, became "Music." Music doesn't sing, doesn't bark (except to alert us to someone on the property), and she doesn't whine. She's smart as a whip, sociable, but when there's trouble, she puts herself in the front line.

I had one other wonderful dog like her. I never dreamed we'd have one as pleasant and happy to please as this polite, well-behaved, loving, and spunky animal.

If I ever had another dog, it'd have to be a black lab. They are a most suitable breed if they're like our Miss Music.

Oh, and one other thing. Short hairs, less vacuuming. :)

Last edited:
I had a friend who always got Jack Russells. She'd drive all the way across America to get one. The ones she had were wonderful animals and filled their home with love. Just sayin.'

I fell in love with a puppy at the pound because she was polite to the other puppies. She turned out to be a black lab. I had no idea what loving, loyal animals they were. She was music to my eye as a puppy, so her moniker of course, became "Music." Music doesn't sing, doesn't bark (except to alert us to someone on the property), and she doesn't whine. She's smart as a whip, sociable, but when there's trouble, she puts herself in the front line.

I had one other wonderful dog like her. I never dreamed we'd have one as pleasant and happy to please as this polite, well-behaved, loving, and spunky animal.

If I ever had another dog, it'd have to be a black lab. They are a most suitable breed if they're like our Miss Music.

Labs do make great pets.

I like Jack Russells, but there are two problems with them that always prevented me getting one. First, they are really hyper and require a lot of attention. If they don't get the exercise or attention they need, they can be very destructive. The other thing is, they are not always very reliable around cats. Russells are ratters by nature. 'Cat' and 'rat' are very much alike in their world. I always have cats, so having a dog prone to killing cats isn't a great idea.

Forum List

Back