I visited the Army Career Center

Samson

Póg Mo Thóin
Dec 3, 2009
A Higher Plain
with my 16 yo slave yesterday.

He'll be 17 on May 1.

He can join the Army Reserve on May 2 (Monday: The Army is not Open on Sunday for enlistees). He won't be able to go to basic until next summer, when he'll be 18, and he won't graduate from HS until he's 19 on May 1, 2013, after which then he'll go to AIT (Advanced Individual Training).

I'm going to visit the Chevy dealership before he signs, and show him some 2011 Cameros.

Does anyone have any advice: For example, is there a optimum length of time he should enlist with the guard? 3 years is the minimum, but 8 is the max, and I understand he gets $1,000 bonus for every year over 3 he enlists. Can he go from the reserve into the regular Army after AIT? The recruiter said yes, if he is released from his reserve unit.

My problem is I want a fucking GUARANTEE that after he has his AIT, he's NOT coming home.

He'll be 17 on May 1.

He can join the Army Reserve on May 2 (Monday: The Army is not Open on Sunday for enlistees). He won't be able to go to basic until next summer, when he'll be 18, and he won't graduate from HS until he's 19 on May 1, 2013, after which then he'll go to AIT (Advanced Individual Training).

I'm going to visit the Chevy dealership before he signs, and show him some 2011 Cameros.

Does anyone have any advice: For example, is there a optimum length of time he should enlist with the guard? 3 years is the minimum, but 8 is the max, and I understand he gets $1,000 bonus for every year over 3 he enlists. Can he go from the reserve into the regular Army after AIT? The recruiter said yes, if he is released from his reserve unit.

My problem is I want a fucking GUARANTEE that after he has his AIT, he's NOT coming home.
There is no guarantee in the service. And by the way, AIT used to mean "Advanced Infantry Training", don't know what's changed, tell him that. I went through a version of AIT at Fort Dix/McGuire AFB in 1988 even though I was in the Air Force, it was job related.

I recommend he just skip the reserves and go full time active duty. Better for you too since he'll be gone and that's your goal anyway right? :lol:

He'll be 17 on May 1.

There is no guarantee in the service. And by the way, AIT used to mean "Advanced Infantry Training", don't know what's changed, tell him that. I went through a version of AIT at Fort Dix/McGuire AFB in 1988 even though I was in the Air Force, it was job related.

I recommend he just skip the reserves and go full time active duty. Better for you too since he'll be gone and that's your goal anyway right? :lol:

Either way, he cannot go full time until May 2013.

I know there is no "Guarantee in the service" (I was recalled in 1996 to visit lovely Bosnia, having special skills as a chemical engineer: apparently, the 2nd AD thought I'd be the best person to manage Disinternment Detail).

So how long do you think he should enlist in the Reserves, with plans to go regular after AIT?

He'll be 17 on May 1.

AIT is now advanced INDIVIDUAL trng?..you sure they didn't say advanced INFANTRY trng.?

:eusa_eh:

get it up front, wait till he graduates basic trng. first....;) just sayin'.

oh, they will take him from the reserves in a heart beat, don't worry about that.

what will be his MOS ( specialty).

does he want to go into the military full time Samson?

tell him before he goes for trng. to pack up his stuff, all of it, then when goes for the trng. he needs to get an apt. when he finishes, he'll have 3 months salary saved up, and there it is.

He'll be 17 on May 1.

I know there is no "Guarantee in the service" (I was recalled in 1996 to visit lovely Bosnia, having special skills as a chemical engineer: apparently, the 2nd AD thought I'd be the best person to manage Disinternment Detail).

So how long do you think he should enlist in the Reserves, with plans to go regular after AIT?
They tell you that May 2013 is the earliest, but as people drop out, get cold feet, get in trouble and disqualified, his place in line will move up. Plus, he could get a call at anytime asking if he want's to go NOW! Some recruit will get cold feet a few days before and back out. The recruiter will rush to put someone, anyone qualified in his place. Your son could get a call like that. Just so ya' know.

It's my opinion that no one should enlist in the reserves of any branch. The Military is a professional organization that shouldn't be taken lightly nor done "part time" like the reserves. (Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying your son is taking it lightly or as a goof) Besides, chances are great that he's gonna' be sent to the "Big Sandbox" anyway, might as well do it with a full time active duty unit.

Just my two cents.

He'll be 17 on May 1.

AIT is now advanced INDIVIDUAL trng?..you sure they didn't say advanced INFANTRY trng.?

oh, they will take him from the reserves in a heart beat, don't worry about that.

tell him before he goes for trng. to pack up his stuff, all of it, then when goes for the trng. he needs to get an apt. when he finishes, he'll have 3 months salary saved up, and there it is.

Yes AIT = Advanced INDIVIDUAL Training; I'm as surprised as you are, considering Basic is designed to suppress all "individuality." My guess is that for recruiting purposes, it has a better ring to it than "infantry."

I'm thrilled to hear that in someone's unbias opinion, he'll go regular in a heartbeat, and might not even return from AIT.

MOS depends on test results. The recruiter mentioned that he may want to target heavy machine mechanics, which he bit, hook-line-and-sinker. He's pretty excited with the prospects in the Army, and it doesn't hurt that I've shown him the 2011 Camero.

They tell you that May 2013 is the earliest, but as people drop out, get cold feet, get in trouble and disqualified, his place in line will move up. Plus, he could get a call at anytime asking if he want's to go NOW! Some recruit will get cold feet a few days before and back out. The recruiter will rush to put someone, anyone qualified in his place. Your son could get a call like that. Just so ya' know.

It's my opinion that no one should enlist in the reserves of any branch. The Military is a professional organization that shouldn't be taken lightly nor done "part time" like the reserves. (Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying your son is taking it lightly or as a goof) Besides, chances are great that he's gonna' be sent to the "Big Sandbox" anyway, might as well do it with a full time active duty unit.

Just my two cents.

I agree: but he cannot join Regular until he's 18, AND Graduated HS, which won't be until May 2013.

I'm just wanting him to get a jump on regular enlistment by joining the reserves.

I'm helpful that way.:eusa_angel:

Why not wait a while for the kid to mature a little bit and enlist in the (real) Army when he is 18 and able to make more rational decisions? Or do you need the money right now?

Why not wait a while for the kid to mature a little bit and enlist in the (real) Army when he is 18 and able to make more rational decisions? Or do you need the money right now?

A. He won't be able to enlist when he is 18 because he won't graduate HS until he's 19.

B. I don't need the money: He does.

C. Enlisting in the Reserve will help him make rational descisions.

First off let me set the record straight. AIT is Advanced Individual Training and always has been, at least since 1971. It was only Advanced Infantry Training to you grunts.

Now. It does require a release from the Guard Unit or Reserve Unit for a troop to switch to regular army, after AIT. The reason for this is actually funding. The Unit actually has paid for his training from their funding. So they do have an interest.

If his MOS is critical at the unit chances are he will not be released.

If his Commander is an idiot he will be released. I had to send dozens of letter to Units as the Operations Sergeant in an AIT company asking for release letters. I'd say we got about 50%.

So, if the Military today is anything like 92-93 time period, you've got about a 50/50 shot.

If you really want to be 100% certain he goes regular Army it would be best to wait and enlist directly into it. Your call.

He'll be 17 on May 1.

Yes AIT = Advanced INDIVIDUAL Training; I'm as surprised as you are, considering Basic is designed to suppress all "individuality." My guess is that for recruiting purposes, it has a better ring to it than "infantry."

I'm thrilled to hear that in someone's unbias opinion, he'll go regular in a heartbeat, and might not even return from AIT.

MOS depends on test results. The recruiter mentioned that he may want to target heavy machine mechanics, which he bit, hook-line-and-sinker. He's pretty excited with the prospects in the Army, and it doesn't hurt that I've shown him the 2011 Camero.

bribery?:eek::eusa_think:

they will ask him again at the end of AIT, does he want to go regular, he can jump then. They may offer him a bonus too, I would bet on it.

Oh and whats with the camero? Mustang baby. ;)

First off let me set the record straight. AIT is Advanced Individual Training and always has been, at least since 1971. It was only Advanced Infantry Training to you grunts.

Now. It does require a release from the Guard Unit or Reserve Unit for a troop to switch to regular army, after AIT. The reason for this is actually funding. The Unit actually has paid for his training from their funding. So they do have an interest.

If his Commander is an idiot he will be released. I had to send dozens of letter to Units as the Operations Sergeant in an AIT company asking for release letters. I'd say we got about 50%.

So, if the Military today is anything like 92-93 time period, you've got about a 50/50 shot.

If you really want to be 100% certain he goes regular Army it would be best to wait and enlist directly into it. Your call.

:(

What is the least critical MOS?

theres more to the army than 11B? :eusa_eh::razz:

wow, things have changed.

they will ask him again at the end of AIT, does he want to go regular, he can jump then. They may offer him a bonus too, I would bet on it.

It sounds like although they ask, and he might want to go regular, there is still the obsticle of his reserve commander releasing him.

Camero, Mustang, Firebird....whatever silly chick magnet the troops run out and buy after basic, then end up sending their paycheck to GM or Ford.

Ollie can speak to this due to his relative lateness in the big green machine BUT when I was in they had few res. infantry units in my area, so bye bye birdey if hes 11b ( infantry)....but frankly Samson, he won't learn anything but management skills in that field, managing others to kill people if hes got leadership qualities, I had excellent asvab or whatever they call it now scores but I was an inter service transfer and had an agenda, I wanted to be a grunt. Tell him if he has the scores to learn a trade.

Ollie can speak to this due to his relative lateness in the big green machine BUT when I was in they had few res. infantry units in my area, so bye bye birdey if hes 11b ( infantry)....but frankly Samson, he won't learn anything but management skills in that field, managing others to kill people if hes got leadership qualities, I had excellent asvab or whatever they call it now scores but I was an inter service transfer and had an agenda, I wanted to be a grunt. Tell him if he has the scores to learn a trade.

Yeah, I've done that.

Frankly, I cannot imagine that even if he spends two years with his reserve unit before he graduates from high school, he will have any critical skills in ANY MOS that would compell a commander not to release him.

That depends upon the Unit. The type of Unit and what slots they have open... If he's going for Heavy Equipment operator and his Unit is a Combat Engineer Unit he's not going anywhere... Shame they did away with Duty Soldier....57A God I loved those guys....

Yeah, I've done that.

Frankly, I cannot imagine that even if he spends two years with his reserve unit before he graduates from high school, he will have any critical skills in ANY MOS that would compell a commander not to release him.

TRhat is the one thing you have going for you. If he spends 2 years working with the Unit and he gets the Brass and the NCO's to understand he really wants to go RA, And if he has kept his nose clean....Well chances are they won't stand in his way.

As we left the thread, I had visited the local and county police depts as well as the court to obtain documents showing that the Slave at 14 had been charged, but not prosecuted on Carrying Weapons on School Grounds charges (he brought a knife to school) and plead guilty to misdomeanor "Treat."

We delivered these to the recruiting Sgt 6 weeks ago, so he could complete the background check.

I told the Slave to call and find out THIS WEEK WTF was going on.

The Sgt claimed to have lost the papers, but that he knew the office had given me copies, and that I could send those, very conveniently, faxed, scanned.

I politely asked, "Who is the officer in charge of the recruiting center?"

Sgt: "I am."

Me: "No, who is the commanding OFFICER?"

Sgt: "Captain Rodriguez"

Me: "I want to call Capt. Rodriquez, give me his number."

Sgt: Why?

Me: Because I want to find someone whom I trust to whom I can give documents that will not lose them.

Sgt: If you give me your number, I'll have him call you.

Me: No, I'd rather just call him myself

Sgt: I'll take your number, and he can call you: If you have a problem with this plan, then you can let him know when he calls.

Me: Here's my number: XXX-XXX-XXXX

---------------------------5 minutes later------------------------------

Mssg from Sgt: We found the papers

It sounds like although they ask, and he might want to go regular, there is still the obsticle of his reserve commander releasing him.

Camero, Mustang, Firebird....whatever silly chick magnet the troops run out and buy after basic, then end up sending their paycheck to GM or Ford.

After boot camp, my arse was sent to sea duty in San Diego, so I didn't have an opportunity to purchase a vehicle. $417.30/month in 1976 wasn't a hell of a lot. An E-2 under two today makes $1,644.90/month, so maybe a Camaro is doable. Back in my day, only the Nukes with a large SRB were driving the Firebirds and Mustangs!

Forum List

Back