I visited the Army Career Center

As we left the thread, I had visited the local and county police depts as well as the court to obtain documents showing that the Slave at 14 had been charged, but not prosecuted on Carrying Weapons on School Grounds charges (he brought a knife to school) and plead guilty to misdomeanor "Treat."

We delivered these to the recruiting Sgt 6 weeks ago, so he could complete the background check.

I told the Slave to call and find out THIS WEEK WTF was going on.

The Sgt claimed to have lost the papers, but that he knew the office had given me copies, and that I could send those, very conveniently, faxed, scanned.

I politely asked, "Who is the officer in charge of the recruiting center?"

Sgt: "I am."

Me: "No, who is the commanding OFFICER?"

Sgt: "Captain Rodriguez"

Me: "I want to call Capt. Rodriquez, give me his number."

Sgt: Why?

Me: Because I want to find someone whom I trust to whom I can give documents that will not lose them.

Sgt: If you give me your number, I'll have him call you.

Me: No, I'd rather just call him myself

Sgt: I'll take your number, and he can call you: If you have a problem with this plan, then you can let him know when he calls.

Me: Here's my number: XXX-XXX-XXXX

---------------------------5 minutes later------------------------------

Mssg from Sgt: We found the papers

Allow me to explain just where recruiters come from. They do not chose to be recruiters, they are selected. They are selected because there is a slot open and they are due for PCS (Permanent Change of Station). They come down on orders, are sent to school, and assigned a recruiting station. Sometimes you just don't get the best selections. And only rarely do you get the best suited to the job. I really don't know any recruiters who were happy to get the job. I know several who were very glad to be back in the real army after their tours as recruiters.....

As we left the thread, I had visited the local and county police depts as well as the court to obtain documents showing that the Slave at 14 had been charged, but not prosecuted on Carrying Weapons on School Grounds charges (he brought a knife to school) and plead guilty to misdomeanor "Treat."

We delivered these to the recruiting Sgt 6 weeks ago, so he could complete the background check.

The Sgt claimed to have lost the papers, but that he knew the office had given me copies, and that I could send those, very conveniently, faxed, scanned.

Me: Because I want to find someone whom I trust to whom I can give documents that will not lose them.

Sgt: I'll take your number, and he can call you: If you have a problem with this plan, then you can let him know when he calls.

Allow me to explain just where recruiters come from. They do not chose to be recruiters, they are selected. They are selected because there is a slot open and they are due for PCS (Permanent Change of Station). They come down on orders, are sent to school, and assigned a recruiting station. Sometimes you just don't get the best selections. And only rarely do you get the best suited to the job. I really don't know any recruiters who were happy to get the job. I know several who were very glad to be back in the real army after their tours as recruiters.....

Really? in the Air Force usually the people that are recruiters are volunteers, you have to go down to Texas for training on it. My friend from basic retraining became a recruiter he retrained 3 years into a 6 year enlistment.

with my 16 yo slave yesterday.

He'll be 17 on May 1.

He can join the Army Reserve on May 2 (Monday: The Army is not Open on Sunday for enlistees). He won't be able to go to basic until next summer, when he'll be 18, and he won't graduate from HS until he's 19 on May 1, 2013, after which then he'll go to AIT (Advanced Individual Training).

I'm going to visit the Chevy dealership before he signs, and show him some 2011 Cameros.

Does anyone have any advice: For example, is there a optimum length of time he should enlist with the guard? 3 years is the minimum, but 8 is the max, and I understand he gets $1,000 bonus for every year over 3 he enlists. Can he go from the reserve into the regular Army after AIT? The recruiter said yes, if he is released from his reserve unit.

My problem is I want a fucking GUARANTEE that after he has his AIT, he's NOT coming home.
There is no guarantee in the service. And by the way, AIT used to mean "Advanced Infantry Training", don't know what's changed, tell him that. I went through a version of AIT at Fort Dix/McGuire AFB in 1988 even though I was in the Air Force, it was job related.

I recommend he just skip the reserves and go full time active duty. Better for you too since he'll be gone and that's your goal anyway right? :lol:

I believe it's "Advanced Individual Training" now. Though, I was an O and never went through AIT.

WTF? Why can I not get past page one, I have to read the second page by responding. And only on this thread......

Anyway, yes it is called AIT Has been since i first went in back in 71. And as far as I ever knew there was not an MOS for recruiter. Of course that could have changed, after all I did retire ........... yep almost 18 years ago...... Damn how time flys......

I called up the Staff Sgt over the recruiting company and asked who I may see besides this Sgt Bozo. He called another office and set us up. I have the number for the battalion commander in case there are any further shenanegans.

Good, don't accept inferior performance from NCO's (Non-Commissioned Officers or Sergeants if you prefer). And remember, even that Battalion Commander has a boss.

Good, don't accept inferior performance from NCO's (Non-Commissioned Officers or Sergeants if you prefer). And remember, even that Battalion Commander has a boss.

We got all the goddamn forms and brought them into the new recruiter, a much younger NonCom who the slave liked.

We might need to submit waiver statement describing the details regarding the charges, and then the application goes to Battalion for approval, but first he'll get set up in August for the physical and ASVAB. He's all excited that they'll put him up in the Sheraton Denver for a night....

BWAhahahaaaaaa!:razz:

OK, what is the skinny here on ROTC? My boy is going to be a Jr. next year. He is maintaining a 3.65 GPA, and is taking AP math and History.

My understanding is if you get taken in for ROTC, they still run you through basic.

OK, what is the skinny here on ROTC? My boy is going to be a Jr. next year. He is maintaining a 3.65 GPA, and is taking AP math and History.

My understanding is if you get taken in for ROTC, they still run you through basic.

No, although you can. Normal ROTC training is during the classes you take, and summer training. I believe they try to get something close, but it's not real Basic.

It is possible to be in the Simultaneous Membership Program (not if you're on a scholarship) where you enlist in the reserves, go to AIT, and participate in ROTC at the same time as doing weekend drill with your unit.

No. If you do ROTC, you have to pass ROTC requirements, which include "Advanced Camp (or whatever the hell they call it now)" in between your second and third year.

Advanced Camp is a frigging joke. It's not Basic or OCS in the least. I would say the evalution and training for cadets is appropriate for their station in life at that time, but it's not terribly rigorous.

As a cadet you can go to some regular Army schools like Airborne and Air Assault, but basic is not a requirement, as the point of ROTC is to be commissioned.

The real training begins after you are commissioned.

I had a really good experience in ROTC. My friends from ROTC are lifelong friends (as you are also going through college together), I stayed somewhat motivated in college and in pretty good shape, my cadre was good (with a few exceptions), and I ended up branching into exactly what I wanted to do and was well trained to step up to the next level of training, finally, I had a full ride to a rather expensive school so I "paid my way" through college.

I never experienced any backlash for being in ROTC and we used to wear our uniforms on Thursday so we weren't hiding. It's a good option for people that want to serve and go to college.

Though I have real problems with our current policy, there is something really unique and special about serving in the military. It just sticks with you. I am probably biased, but I think that is doubly true in the Army.

He'll be 17 on May 1.

He can join the Army Reserve on May 2 (Monday: The Army is not Open on Sunday for enlistees). He won't be able to go to basic until next summer, when he'll be 18, and he won't graduate from HS until he's 19 on May 1, 2013, after which then he'll go to AIT (Advanced Individual Training).

I'm going to visit the Chevy dealership before he signs, and show him some 2011 Cameros.

Does anyone have any advice: For example, is there a optimum length of time he should enlist with the guard? 3 years is the minimum, but 8 is the max, and I understand he gets $1,000 bonus for every year over 3 he enlists. Can he go from the reserve into the regular Army after AIT? The recruiter said yes, if he is released from his reserve unit.

My problem is I want a fucking GUARANTEE that after he has his AIT, he's NOT coming home.

Go Navy, we can make him a cabin boy now.......... :eusa_whistle:

He'll be 17 on May 1.

Improvished, it was my dream to become a pilot so I went to the air force recruiter to see what my options were. I had begun college and was working my ass off as a mover to pay the bills..and thought there might be a better way. They said I would become an officer because of my college background and it was "more then likely" I would become a pilot. But they "guaranteed" I would have to serve 6 years.

:lol:

I'd say a young man will have a much better chance of becoming a controller of a DRONE than of becoming a pilot.

I suspect that unmanned aircraft is the wave of the future when it comes to war.

And that will be closely followed by military drones that operate on land, too.

The day will come when few young men will be able to serve their nation in uniform because they won't be as valuable to the war effort as some robotic killing machine.

And that day is coming mighty fast, too.

He'll be 17 on May 1.

Go Navy, we can make him a cabin boy now.......... :eusa_whistle:

Nope.

Cannot join the Navy Reserve at 17 without HS diploma.

Army Res has a program: 17 yo join for 3 yrs during their Jr year of HS, 10 week Boot Camp Summer, then finish their Sr year and graduate before AIT. By the time they finish AIT they have about 2 years to add to their paygrade and rank AFTER they join the Regular Army (if they chose to).

Why not wait a while for the kid to mature a little bit and enlist in the (real) Army when he is 18 and able to make more rational decisions? Or do you need the money right now?

A. He won't be able to enlist when he is 18 because he won't graduate HS until he's 19.

B. I don't need the money: He does.

C. Enlisting in the Reserve will help him make rational descisions.

Not to dash your hopes but my nephew came out of the service just as completely irrational as the day his parents pushed him into it.

Forum List

Back