I thought I'd go with another baseball question for y'all............

Just about the only black catcher I know of , Manny Sanguillén, of the Pirates.
Manuel De Jesus Sanguillén Magan (actually from Panama)

My dad took me to game 3 of this Series when I was 10....

Wow, that must have been exciting! I've never been to a World Series game. I was living in Phoenix when the D-Backs won the series in 2001, but the price of a seat, even in the nosebleed sections, was way too much for me. My dad was lucky enough to go to game 2 of that series, and got to see the D-Backs win AND Ray Charles sing "America the Beautiful". My dad's friend, who was pretty well off financially, got FOUR tickets for him and his girlfriend and and my dad and his. My dad took a few pictures, but their seats were pretty high up, in a nosebleed section. But he did get a couple pics of Ray Charles, unfortunately he was so high up, the singer could've been anyone. I was a LITTLE jealous, but I was happy for my dad and his girlfriend.

It blows my mind that between MLB games I've been to in Cleveland, Cincinnati, Pittsburgh, NYC, Atlanta, and Ft Worth Texas (Arlington) at least 6 or 7 of those stadiums are gone now.

No kidding I remember driving along Atlanta and seeing the the stadium being built in the 1980s, now its gone

I was at the game in 74 when Hank took Babes record. Wild crowd, Some of them thar innerbreds didn't like it too much when a darkie took over.I was with a bunch from the Pagans MC out of VA. Coulda got weird if the Outlaws showed up. Law dawgs made them lose the colors before they could go in

Wow, I bet THAT was exciting! I didn't even watch the game live, but of course saw the replay of that historic home run, most likely on the news that night.

Didn't half the crowd leave after the home run?

I'm not sure. A good question. Can you blame them if they did? They had just witnessed THE greatest moment in baseball history, the rest of the game would've been an afterthought. I believe it was a week night, many probably wanted to get home because they had to work the next day.

I checked, the game was on a Monday.

Half ? Not at all. Lotsa 'necks bleated" They got mossa that thar footbal, boxing and all the BB. Now they dun got baseballs two."
Mon ? I was thinking weekend. OTOH weekends were the entire seventies....I think ?

Just about the only black catcher I know of , Manny Sanguillén, of the Pirates.
Manuel De Jesus Sanguillén Magan (actually from Panama)

My dad took me to game 3 of this Series when I was 10....

Wow, that must have been exciting! I've never been to a World Series game. I was living in Phoenix when the D-Backs won the series in 2001, but the price of a seat, even in the nosebleed sections, was way too much for me. My dad was lucky enough to go to game 2 of that series, and got to see the D-Backs win AND Ray Charles sing "America the Beautiful". My dad's friend, who was pretty well off financially, got FOUR tickets for him and his girlfriend and and my dad and his. My dad took a few pictures, but their seats were pretty high up, in a nosebleed section. But he did get a couple pics of Ray Charles, unfortunately he was so high up, the singer could've been anyone. I was a LITTLE jealous, but I was happy for my dad and his girlfriend.

It blows my mind that between MLB games I've been to in Cleveland, Cincinnati, Pittsburgh, NYC, Atlanta, and Ft Worth Texas (Arlington) at least 6 or 7 of those stadiums are gone now.

No kidding I remember driving along Atlanta and seeing the the stadium being built in the 1980s, now its gone

I was at the game in 74 when Hank took Babes record. Wild crowd, Some of them thar innerbreds didn't like it too much when a darkie took over.I was with a bunch from the Pagans MC out of VA. Coulda got weird if the Outlaws showed up. Law dawgs made them lose the colors before they could go in

Wow, I bet THAT was exciting! I didn't even watch the game live, but of course saw the replay of that historic home run, most likely on the news that night.

Didn't half the crowd leave after the home run?

I'm not sure. A good question. Can you blame them if they did? They had just witnessed THE greatest moment in baseball history, the rest of the game would've been an afterthought. I believe it was a week night, many probably wanted to get home because they had to work the next day.

I checked, the game was on a Monday.

Half ? Not at all. Lotsa 'necks bleated" They got mossa that thar footbal, boxing and all the BB. Now they dun got baseballs two."
Mon ? I was thinking weekend. OTOH weekends were the entire seventies....I think ?

Very funny, mon, tank u for nutter laff!

Piazza was the best hitting catcher of all time. Pudge Rodriguez was the best defensive catcher I’ve ever seen

Who was the oakland as catcher from the early seventys,forgot him,one player that everybody overlooked and I just thought of is the catcher of the royals now as well,he is probably the best right now currently.

Mainly because I'm REALLY missing baseball right now. Anyway, who are your best all-time catchers that played major league baseball? My top 5 are - 1) Johnny Bench, great offensive AND defensive catcher. He won two National League MVP's in his career and was a pivotal part of Cincinnati's Big Red Machine from the late 1960's through the mid to late 1970's. And what a great last name for a baseball player! 2) Yogi Berra, another catcher that was both a great offensive AND defensive player. And of course, noted for his funny quotes and wry sense of humor. 3) Carlton Fisk, the original "Pudge", he was also a great offensive AND defensive player. He had some wonderful seasons for both the Boston Red Sox and the Chicago White Sox. 4) Ivan Rodriguez, the other "Pudge", he was perhaps THE best defensive catcher all-time AND a very fine hitter, especially for batting average. 5) Mike Piazza, ANOTHER catcher that was a great offensive AND defensive player. Here are my top 5, who are some of yours?
Roy Campanella, who won 3 MVPs. BTW, so did Yogi Berra.

Who was the oakland as catcher from the early seventys,forgot him,one player that everybody overlooked and I just thought of is the catcher of the royals now as well,he is probably the best right now currently.
Fosse?

He sucked and Pete Rose nearly killed him

Forum List

Back