I thought I had seen it all, and then came this

Discussion in 'Politics' started by JRK, Apr 11, 2012.

1. JRK

JRK Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +312
    The liberal biased media now blames 4.00 a gallon gas on credit cards. Could you imagine this article being wrote when W was the president and gas was 1.80 a gallon?
    High Gas Prices: Should You Blame Your Bank? - ABC News

Govt adds an avg of 46 cents a gallon
    Exxon makes about 1/2 of that in profit per gallon, or 7%
    Oil exploration in this country along with new and modern refinaries are not on Obamas radar, lets not forget a much needed pipe-line that would connect Texas and there refinaries with Canada and there Oil Sands
    Nope, Obama has nothing to do with it, it is the evil banks causing this also

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2012
  2. zzzz

zzzz Just a regular American

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +429
    It can't be because of an oil shortage. We have an oil glut in Cushing Oklahoma, the infrastructure is not big enough to handle all the incoming oil. just think if they had the Canadian pipeline, the oil could not be pumped because they have no room for it.

The oil industry is one crazy place. First it was no refineries, now it is limited operational capacity for incoming oil to distribute to refineries. The infrastructure for the US energy industry is a joke. Makes one wonder if there is a conspiracy to introduce these problems to keep fuel prices high and profits at maximum.

3. JRK

JRK Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +312
    8% profit is not seen as a maximum profit in most circles
    Exxon says profit margin comparable to other firms - MarketWatch
    CARPE DIEM: Gasoline Taxes Per Gallon Are Almost 7 Times ExxonMobil's Profit: 48 cents vs. 7 cents for QI
    with respect to your opinion
    To start with its about jobs
    in addition
    take way ones excuse, then lets see where they are then

Pipe-lines
    refinaries
    etc...
    drill baby = jobs baby

4. Mr.Nick

Mr.Nick VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +682
    I have read Chicago Tribune articles that claim high gas prices are due to "a growing economy." Then a few days later they tried to paint growing gas prices on hybrid vehicles.

Progressives are just grasping at straws now...

They'll do anything and say anything to justify high oil prices...

5. JRK

JRK Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +312
    I was listening to the radio, ABC news comes om and said this with a straight face (I assume, sounded dead serious) I thought at first it was a "skit"
    I still am at a loss for words

6. Ravage

Ravage BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Banks hold 70% of all oil futures.

I find it HILARIOUS that conservatives champion CAPITALISM, when CAPITAL is what is buying oil futures, inflating the price, then selling at a profit. THAT is the VERY DEFINITION of capitalism.
    You pay about $700 out of pocket EVERY YEAR due to this speculation. Good going.

The issue of unbridled and unregulated oil derivatives speculation by a handful of big banks is not a new issue. A June 2006 US Senate Permanent Subcommittee on Investigations report on “The Role of Market Speculation in rising oil and gas prices,” noted, “…there is substantial evidence supporting the conclusion that the large amount of speculation in the current market has significantly increased prices.”
    Behind The Oil Price Rise

Remember ENRON?
    This is the remnants of how you legalized Enron's shennanigans.
    But heaven forfend we clean it up. NO! House Republicans have fought EVERY effort to re-regulate the financial sector.

7. Londoner

Londoner Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,701
    Big Media is divided between a handful of mega-corporations who want lower taxes and fewer regulations. They overwhelmingly support Republican causes.

This includes the New York Times, which supported the Iraq War and refused to release Bush's illegal wiretapping activities prior to the 2004 election.

You have been lied to. Turn off Talk Radio. They repeat the same lie every day so that they can color any news story which does not favor the right as biased.

Gas prices are high because the nation chose Reagan and Big Oil rather than Carter an alternative energy in the late 70s. We were asked to move toward alternatives and conservation, both of which would allow us to avoid the coming $5 gallon. We were asked to make a temporary sacrifice during the transition to less petroleum dependence. We chose Reagan and his offer of zero sacrifice. We chose big oil.

Prices are high because of the supply/demand problem posed by China/India, as well as speculators, which allows Wall Street to bid up the price.

Turn off Talk Radio and Fox News. We are begging you.

8. Truthseeker420

Truthseeker420 Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,026
    Gas was $5 dollars a gallon during Bush presidency.

9. JRK

JRK Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +312
    Read the fu--ing the link next time
    its about credit card fees, not speculation you, never mind
    High Gas Prices: Should You Blame Your Bank? - ABC News
    Typical lib
    mis informed, re peat the lie

10. KevinWestern

KevinWestern Hello

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +535
    I'm not saying you're right or wrong, but I think it’s misleading to say that “when Bush was the president and gas was $1.80/gal” like that was some sort of a normal price during the Bush years. I can also spin the data this way:

When Bush took office in 2001, the price of gas was $1.48/gal. By June of 2008 (the very tail end of his Presidency) the price of gas had skyrocketed to $4.00+/gal.

See how statistics can be spun in a misleading way?

Also, as I’ve stated before, I don’t think you can blame the price of gas on a single person, especially when you consider that the President is working alongside the Senate and House of Representatives who also have a say on what type of policy will and won’t get passed.

Yes, the President and Chu did have their wild cap-and-trade dreams, but that was shot down in 2010.

You can't blame everything on the President; you have to think more broadly at all of the economic forces at work behind these prices.

Scapegoating is easy, but it rarely gets us anywhere....

Last edited: Apr 11, 2012