I thought Afghanistan was the "good war"???

I would Love to see the Rules of Engagement Policies in Afghanistan Transparent, and open for review at some level. If Policy is costing unnecessary harm and loss of Life to Our Troops, It should be exposed, amended, and justified. Intention is no free pass for incompetence.

The ROE is confidential to keep the insurgency from exploiting it.

That trumps your curiousity and need to score political points.

BTW, the ROE exists for tactical reasons, not political ones and it's set by officers not politicians.

and this is where you are mistaken....The President sets down policy for the rules of engagement. He then passs that policy down through the chain of command where the actual "rules" are written by staff members of Generals and Admirals.

Last edited:
Agreed...but if there were more troops in that compound and they were out actively conducting recon missions perhaps it wouldn't have happened.

LMFAO. Ground recon is useless in Afghanistan.

Why do I say this?

I was only a Recon PL in Afghanistan.

It's quite simple...in order to reduce U.S. troop casualties Obama has ordered "ouside the wire" missions to cease unless its an absolute dire emergency. He has hamstrung the ground commanders by implementing new rules of engagement that call for our troops to NOT FIRE on the enemy if there is the slightest thought or indication that there may possibly be any civilians in the area. So the Taliban and Al Qaeda now keep a couple women and children around and they are never attacked. These sort of "let's play war like we are in 2nd grade" tactics will lose the war for Obama and our troops who have given all for their country will be disgraced.

When has he done that?

I would Love to see the Rules of Engagement Policies in Afghanistan Transparent, and open for review at some level. If Policy is costing unnecessary harm and loss of Life to Our Troops, It should be exposed, amended, and justified. Intention is no free pass for incompetence.

BTW, the ROE exists for tactical reasons, not political ones and it's set by officers not politicians.

and this is where you are mistaken....The President sets down policy for the rules of engagement. He then passs that policy down through the chain of command where the actual "rules" are written by staff members of Generals and Admirals.

LOL. Whatever.

The ROE is set by the guy on the ground and is tailored for the time and place for which it is needed.

A "one size fits all" ROE from the White House would never work.

Most of the things that people are bitching about "minimizing civilian casualties" are just common sense that aren't inherent to the ROE.

The people that advocate a scorched earth approach to any insurgency are clueless and are rightfully ignored when they whine.

Agreed...but if there were more troops in that compound and they were out actively conducting recon missions perhaps it wouldn't have happened.

Why do I say this?

Why is it useless?

Because you are compromised the second you leave the wire.

Even if you come up with a super stealthy insertion, there is no cover and you will eventually be compromised by a goat herder.

Like when a goat herder's child stepped over the top of a claymore mine and into my OP.

LOL. Whatever.

The ROE is set by the guy on the ground and is tailored for the time and place for which it is needed.

Most of the things that people are bitching about "minimizing civilian casualties" are just common sense that aren't inherent to the ROE.

The people that advocate a scorched earth approach to any insurgency are clueless and are rightfully ignored when they whine.

LOL Whatever
No one said anything about a "one size fits all" ROE from the WH. What WAS said was policy put forth by the President and rules written by military.

LOL. Whatever.

LOL Whatever
No one said anything about a "one size fits all" ROE from the WH. What WAS said was policy put forth by the President and rules written by military.

So the President isn't exactly establishing the ROE is he? It sounds like your bitch is against the civilian control of the military.

BTW, what specific policy has Obama put forth that has changed the ROE in Afghansitan?

If anything, he's expanded UAV attacks in Pakistan, which is more aggressive than Bush.

FWIW, when I was there a one kilometer buffer was established along the border that we could not enter or fire into.

That was set by our CG, not George Bush.

Why do I say this?

Why is it useless?

Because you are compromised the second you leave the wire.

Even if you come up with a super stealthy insertion, there is no cover and you will eventually be compromised by a goat herder.

Like when a goat herder's child stepped over the top of a claymore mine and into my OP.

Well if you and your unit knew how to operate perhaps you wouldn't be so stupid as to insert in the middle of a goddam goat herd....and they got this new invention...it's called a helicopter.

Looks like you weren't paying attention in Recon school. Were you sleeping during land warfare and small unit tactics class?

It's quite simple...in order to reduce U.S. troop casualties Obama has ordered "ouside the wire" missions to cease unless its an absolute dire emergency. He has hamstrung the ground commanders by implementing new rules of engagement that call for our troops to NOT FIRE on the enemy if there is the slightest thought or indication that there may possibly be any civilians in the area. So the Taliban and Al Qaeda now keep a couple women and children around and they are never attacked. These sort of "let's play war like we are in 2nd grade" tactics will lose the war for Obama and our troops who have given all for their country will be disgraced.

When has he done that?

:popcorn:

Forum List

Back