I remember when.....

Bonnie said:
I remember hating being called in for dinner when I was playing with my friends, or having to go home when it got dark, that's always when it was just getting fun!!
Especially in the summer...once in a while I was allowed to stay out and catch fireflies...

I remember sneaking ciggarettes in the local park with my friends and hoping someone's parent wouldn't drive by. I remember hanging out at the local Somerset Farms store cuz all the cool guys hung out there. ;)

Bonnie said:
I remember sneaking ciggarettes in the local park with my friends and hoping someone's parent wouldn't drive by. I remember hanging out at the local Somerset Farms store cuz all the cool guys hung out there. ;)

I remember actually being paddled *gasp* at school!

I remember when the music you listened to was about falling in and out of love, fast cars, the opposite sex - and you could listen to every song and not be embarrassed about the words you heard.

GotZoom said:
I remember when the music you listened to was about falling in and out of love, fast cars, the opposite sex - and you could listen to every song and not be embarrassed about the words you heard.
I raised my daughter on that music..It wasn't easy, now 17 she loves it, but does stray to the dark side a bit..

Mr. P said:
Never heard of a "tickle" bee, these hurt like hell if they got ya...
I don't know the "scientific" name but when I was a kid growing up in Texas, these were tiny little bees that would usually be hanging out in clover. You could catch them and they didn't sting. We called em tickle bees because if you closed your hand but held it loosely, they would fly around in your hand and it would "tickle".

Mr. P said:
Well I guess, seeing a bunch of lil boys scat when someone drops their jar.. it was FUN though..:rotflmao:
I think I might try that with my son this year. Or maybe we will stick with fireflies, We'll see.

Here we go.... and I found this cute little story (For sale: CHILDHOOD MEMORY. Used, As-Is )to go along with it... he and I are the same age. His story is funny cuz it is exactly how I feel when I discuss "tickle bees" with people... they look at me as if I am nuts!

volucella-zonaria0.jpg

Scientific Name: DIPTERA SYRPHIDAE

Apparently, they aren't actually bees, but flies.

rktect3j said:
I think I might try that with my son this year. Or maybe we will stick with fireflies, We'll see.
Well...technique..Hold the jar upside down.. the bee must land on the ground, on like some short small flower thing..then you just put the jar over them an they fly to the top (which is the bottom of the jar) then just lift and cap.
Good luck...LOL

My little brother had some plastic alphabet blocks as a toddler..Bright colors, and they opened diagonally... Used to catch bumblebee's with them (the big, fat yellow ones), and store them (in their blocks) in the toy box... Could never understand why mother dearest threw such a shitfit every time they fell open on the floor.. Who needed jars?!

freeandfun1 said:
Here we go.... and I found this cute little story (For sale: CHILDHOOD MEMORY. Used, As-Is )to go along with it... he and I are the same age. His story is funny cuz it is exactly how I feel when I discuss "tickle bees" with people... they look at me as if I am nuts!

volucella-zonaria0.jpg

Scientific Name: DIPTERA SYRPHIDAE

Apparently, they aren't actually bees, but flies.
I've never seen one around here Free..

Shattered said:
My little brother had some plastic alphabet blocks as a toddler..Bright colors, and they opened diagonally... Used to catch bumblebee's with them (the big, fat yellow ones), and store them (in their blocks) in the toy box... Could never understand why mother dearest threw such a shitfit every time they fell open on the floor.. Who needed jars?!
Who needs Jars?
Boys of course! Jars, blocks, cans any container we could get...geezzzzzz...GIRLS!
Oh yea, girls, THEY STILL have cooties!

Mr. P said:
Who needs Jars?
Boys of course! Jars, blocks, cans any container we could get...geezzzzzz...GIRLS!
Oh yea, girls, THEY STILL have cooties!

I'm telling you, the blocks worked better! You didn't have to hold a bulky jar in one hand, and a lid in the other hand, and hope your aiming skills were up to par. Just hold the open block over the bee with one hand, and BOOM! Snap it closed.. Give it a good shake, for some "musical" entertainment.. (Bees got pissed). :D

Oh, and I didn't develop cooties until I was about 14. :D

Shattered said:
I'm telling you, the blocks worked better! You didn't have to hold a bulky jar in one hand, and a lid in the other hand, and hope your aiming skills were up to par. Just hold the open block over the bee with one hand, and BOOM! Snap it closed.. Give it a good shake, for some "musical" entertainment.. (Bees got pissed). :D

Oh, and I didn't develop cooties until I was about 14. :D
But with jars, you have visual entertainment too!

freeandfun1 said:
But with jars, you have visual entertainment too!

Oh, you had visual (and physical!) entertainment when mother found them and got ahold of your ass. :D

Forum List

Back