I remember when.....

Dad was ticked at a quarter a gallon
I was a vcr, dad told me to watch while he went to the bathroom, and tell it when he got back.
I was a remote, turn the dial, adjust the antenna, wait for him to say OK.
Late night horror flicks
Saturday Cartoons
comic books for a dime
bubblegum was three for a penny
Icee was a nickel
My allowance was a quarter ( I was rich )
RockemSockem Robots
GIJoe (and later the KungFu Grip)
The Evil Knieval toy that launched the motorcycle
Star Trek wasn't a rerun
Gilligans Island wasnt either (Big crush on MaryAnn)

Merlin said:
No, I'm not that old, just have a good memory. I grew up on 30 acres of strawberries though before they had plastic and sprinkler systems and to raise strawberries, it was a 13 month out of the year job. They won't let kids work any more, but starting when I was about 6 years old, when we got our chores caught up after school, we could go to other farms and do certain things by moonlight till about 9:00 P.M.. I remember these things as being fun, but it also seems like another life time. I was 14 years old when we got indoor water with plumbing, so I have a few other memories too. Granted, some aren't so pleasant.
This is exactly what I was telling somebody in another thread. Child labour laws have actually created a need for cheap labour. When we were kids, we would work either on a farm the family owned or one that was nearby and offered a chance to earn some money on the weekends, during the summer months and after school in the spring. I have worked harvesting spring alfalfa hay, shucked corn, worked on a cutting horse ranch, etc. I had a lot of fun doing it too. It taught me a lot even if it did also give me opportunities to get into more trouble (I had MONEY!). Nowadays if you ask your kid to work on the farm, you gotta worry if CPS is called on you. Or if you hire "legal" teenagers, you might have the state screaming at your for "working em too hard". All the summer jobs I ever worked were HARD! Haul'n hay, shuv'l'n horseshit or roof'n houses is hard work and so they don't want kids doing it. Illegals, here are a lot of jobs that used to go to HS and JHS kids....

Tossing Haybales at a nickle a bale.
Detassling Corn (forgot the $$)

Talk about child labor, got strong, got rich, got the girls (after the got rich part) heh heh heh

pegwinn said:

Talk about child labor, got strong, got rich, got the girls (after the got rich part) heh heh heh
Exactly. Also taught good work ethic.

i remeber when i could play outside till well after sundown and not worry about ending up on a milk carton

Bonnie said:
OKAY!! How many posters did you have on your bedroom walls and of who?

I had an Easy Rider post with Fonda and Hopper...An Ozzy Poster with Randy Rhodes, A black light poster of the Hobbit and the black light to go with it. A Wasp poster, a Resovior Dogs Poster more that I can't remember

Who had a strobe light in their room??

Oh geez. I had a TON of posters. Not big ones, but a lot of small ones, mostly sports stars. Roger Staubach, Tony Dorsett, Steve Garvey, Reggie Jackson, Nolan Ryan, Buddy Bell, Jim Sundberg, a team picture of the Dallas Mavericks from their first season. Other than sports, I had an Ace Frehley poster, which was replaced with Def Leppard in later years. Back in '76 the school gave all the kids a patriotic poster with George Washington, Ben Franklin, the Liberty Bell and such (imagine that happening today). I kept that on my wall until I graduated high school in '86.

Oddly enough, I did not have the infamous Farrah poster, as so many roughly my age did. In fact, I didn't put up my first "girlie" picture until I was 33 years old.

freeandfun1 said:
What were your three favorite songs from say, years 9 - 13?

Mine:

1. "Paradise by the Dashboard Light"
2. "Beth"
3. "If you told me you were drowning, I would not lend a hand"

I remember #3 vividly. I was 13 and it was the last summer I was going to live in the town I had lived in since I was 9. It was the summer where my life REALLY began to change. I started high school in the fall of 1981 in a new town, but lived most of the summer in the other. So that was kinda like my - blast into "life".

"In the Air Tonight" I think is the name of #3.

From 9 to 13? Those are some tough years for me musically. My sister had control of the radio, which meant mostly disco. My mother and grandmother had control of the record player, which meant really old country. I do remember "Cat Scratch Fever" by Ted Nugent in there somewhere, and some Kiss mixed in here and there.

Daktari
Johnny Quest (Haji)
Hair cuts were given by my grandfather
Sensurround, and the first movie with it...that I couldn't afford to go see "Earthquake," so I sat outside the theater and felt the walls shake!

pegwinn said:

DK told me about detassling corn. I had never heard of such a thing before - I kinda thought he was pulling my leg....guess not!

gop_jeff said:
- When Jimnyc posted 30-40 times a day.

- When there were only 50 members of the board, yet lots of flaming! :D

- When it was DK and KL instead of STY and MyName.

- When it was dmp instead of -=d=-

- When there was no temporary banning and no rep

- When you only needed 300 posts to be on the Top 10 Posters list

- When there was a Top 10 Posters List

KL? who dat? ;)

Someone sent this to me in an e-mail, but is is ohhhh so true!! I was born before any of these things and remember when most of them didn't exist.
penicillin
polio shots
frozen foods
Xerox
contact lenses
Frisbees and
the pill
radar
credit cards
laser beams
ball-point pens
pantyhose
air conditioners
dishwashers
clothes dryers
and the clothes were hung out to dry in the fresh air.
man hadn't yet walked on the moon.

We were before gay-rights, computer- dating, dual careers, daycare centers, and group therapy.

Our lives were governed by the Ten Commandments, good judgment, and common sense.

We thought fast food was what people ate during Lent.

Having a meaningful relationship meant getting along with your cousins.

Draft dodgers were people who closed their front doors when the evening breeze started.

Time-sharing meant time the family spent together in the evenings and weekends-not purchasing condominiums.
We never heard of FM radios, tape decks, CDs, electric typewriters, yogurt, or guys wearing earrings.

We listened to the Big Bands, Jack Benny, and the President's speeches on our radios.

And I don't ever remember any kid blowing his brains out listening to Tommy Dorsey.

If you saw anything with 'Made in Japan ' on it, it was junk.

The term 'making out' referred to how you did on your school exam.

Pizza Hut, McDonald's, and instant coffee were unheard of.

We had 5 &10-cent stores where you could actually buy things for 5 and 10 cents.

Ice-cream cones, phone calls, rides on a streetcar, and a Pepsi were all a nickel.

And if you didn't want to splurge, you could spend your nickel on enough stamps to mail 1 letter and 2 postcards.

"grass" was mowed
"coke" was a cold drink
"pot" was something your mother cooked in and
"rock music" was your grandmother's lullaby.
"Aids" were helpers in the Principal's office,
" chip" meant a piece of wood,
"hardware" was found in a hardware store and
"software" wasn't even a word.

Merlin said:
Someone sent this to me in an e-mail, but is is ohhhh so true!! I was born before any of these things and remember when most of them didn't exist.
penicillin
polio shots
frozen foods
Xerox
contact lenses
Frisbees and
the pill
radar
credit cards
laser beams
ball-point pens
pantyhose
air conditioners
dishwashers
clothes dryers
and the clothes were hung out to dry in the fresh air.
man hadn't yet walked on the moon.

We were before gay-rights, computer- dating, dual careers, daycare centers, and group therapy.

Our lives were governed by the Ten Commandments, good judgment, and common sense.

We thought fast food was what people ate during Lent.

Having a meaningful relationship meant getting along with your cousins.

Draft dodgers were people who closed their front doors when the evening breeze started.

Time-sharing meant time the family spent together in the evenings and weekends-not purchasing condominiums.
We never heard of FM radios, tape decks, CDs, electric typewriters, yogurt, or guys wearing earrings.

We listened to the Big Bands, Jack Benny, and the President's speeches on our radios.

And I don't ever remember any kid blowing his brains out listening to Tommy Dorsey.

If you saw anything with 'Made in Japan ' on it, it was junk.

The term 'making out' referred to how you did on your school exam.

Pizza Hut, McDonald's, and instant coffee were unheard of.

We had 5 &10-cent stores where you could actually buy things for 5 and 10 cents.

Ice-cream cones, phone calls, rides on a streetcar, and a Pepsi were all a nickel.

And if you didn't want to splurge, you could spend your nickel on enough stamps to mail 1 letter and 2 postcards.

"grass" was mowed
"coke" was a cold drink
"pot" was something your mother cooked in and
"rock music" was your grandmother's lullaby.
"Aids" were helpers in the Principal's office,
" chip" meant a piece of wood,
"hardware" was found in a hardware store and
"software" wasn't even a word.
As we get older we come to truly understand the phrase "the good old days" don't we?

I remember when....

Wax was a major component of much of the "candy" we got on Halloween.

Candy Cigarettes were available at every store, when you first take them from the package you would blow through them and get that first "puff" of "smoke".

I would walk to the corner store and buy my father cigarettes.

no1tovote4 said:
I remember when....

Wax was a major component of much of the "candy" we got on Halloween.

Candy Cigarettes were available at every store, when you first take them from the package you would blow through them and get that first "puff" of "smoke".

I would walk to the corner store and buy my father cigarettes.

I remember chocolate ciggarettes, in fact I saw them for sale at a vintage candy shop complete with realistic looking box.

Forum List

Back