I remember when.....

Shattered said:
Oh, you had visual (and physical!) entertainment when mother found them and got ahold of your ass. :D
No, YOU had visual entertainment... the boys had physical pain! :laugh:

freeandfun1 said:
No, YOU had visual entertainment... the boys had physical pain! :laugh:

Uh, no.. I was referring to *my* ass. My brother didn't play with bees; *I* did. :D

We didn't get spanked.. We did have to stand in the "cloakroom" if we misbehaved, tho.

Shattered said:
We didn't get spanked.. We did have to stand in the "cloakroom" if we misbehaved, tho.

We had to sit in the principals office for a while, which didn't bother me, more time to read my comics :teeth:

Bonnie said:
OUCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!! for what??
Which time?

The most memorable time was when I was a freshman in HS. I got into a fight with a guy (over a girl - how stupid) and the principle called both our dad's to the school. I remember to this day, "Sirs, your sons can be either expelled for three days or get five whacks. My dad's reply, "there is no question what he will take, whack away". The principle asked my dad, "sir, do you want to do it?" My dad said, "nope, you do it. He needs to learn that there will always be somebody with authority over him other than just me."

It hurt like hell, I even had to pull my pants down to receive the full brunt of it...

Another time, for talking back to a teacher. Never did that again!

CSM said:
Yep yep

I bet most households dont even have one around these days.

I have one. Two actually. One that had been floating around since before I was born, another with a magnet on one side I keep on the fridge. I get IBC root beer in the bottles and they don't have a twist off.

CSM said:
I can remember when the clothes washer had wringers on top.

My grandmother had one but didn't use it. I've also got an old iron of hers that wasn't electric. The kind that was just a metal block with a detachable handle that you would put on the stove to get hot.

rktect3j said:
Riding in the car without a car seat or seat belt on.

Upon arrival at the Jewel food store, my mother would lock us into the car and go do the shopping. She'd crack the windows of course and buckle us up at that point.

Heheh

I remember things my mother would get arrested for today:

Standing up in the front seat while my mother drove.

My mother leaving me in the car unattended (although this was in a small town)

Skipping school. I would walk halfway there, decide not to go, then go to the golf course and look for lost golf balls. The school said nothing.

Getting spanked in the middle of Safeway for acting like a brat.

I remember when it was still possible to do most of the work on your own car without a computer or special tools, and a tune-up was points, plugs and a rotor. And when trouble shooting, you knew ALL you had to have was air, spark and fuel?

Mr. P said:
I remember when it was still possible to do most of the work on your own car without a computer or special tools, and a tune-up was points, plugs and a rotor. And when trouble shooting, you knew ALL you had to have was air, spark and fuel?

My first car was a '75 Oldsmobile. I could change the bulb in a taillight in five minutes if I did it slow, and all I needed was a screwdriver.

Today, I have a '99 Mercury Sable. I need three different tools and an extra hand to even get to the bulb.

Jimmyeatworld said:
My first car was a '75 Oldsmobile. I could change the bulb in a taillight in five minutes if I did it slow, and all I needed was a screwdriver.

Today, I have a '99 Mercury Sable. I need three different tools and an extra hand to even get to the bulb.

And if you touch the bulb while putting it in, the oils from your hand will cause it to burn out in less than 10 seconds....

I used to change the oil for my mother when I was 8. Sometimes my skinny little arms couldn't even get the oil filter off...

i remember...
-stamps being .29c
-MTV was more videos and fewer artists babbling about how they hate the president

-rap didn't include lyrics about drugs and killing, and rarely contained swearing, and didn't have to have ratings, and kids could buy the tapes if they had the whole $15 to do so, and you didn't have to be 18 to buy them.

-Will Smith before he was an actor, DJ Jazzy Jeff and the Fresh Prince

-Watching MTV and wishing I was Debbie Gibson

-Being SO in love with the New Kids on the Block and swearing that I was
going to marry one of them (not telling ya who!!!)

-I can't remember gas prices because i never paid attention until i started driving. So in 1996, the lowest price i saw was .79c, so my dad could fill up
his truck for less than half of what he does now.

-American Muscle cars, like so many have mentioned!

-country music was not cool

-organic food cost less than non-organic

-Winter Break was called Christmas Vacation, and we sang CHRISTMAS CAROLS for the CHRISTMAS CONCERT.

-Disney's The Little Mermaid was in theaters for the first time.

there's more, but i have to think a bit more

freeandfun1 said:
Which time?

The most memorable time was when I was a freshman in HS. I got into a fight with a guy (over a girl - how stupid) and the principle called both our dad's to the school. I remember to this day, "Sirs, your sons can be either expelled for three days or get five whacks. My dad's reply, "there is no question what he will take, whack away". The principle asked my dad, "sir, do you want to do it?" My dad said, "nope, you do it. He needs to learn that there will always be somebody with authority over him other than just me."

It hurt like hell, I even had to pull my pants down to receive the full brunt of it...

Another time, for talking back to a teacher. Never did that again!

That is so humiliating!! :eek:

Mr. P said:
I remember my roller-skate key.

I remember rollerskating everyweek at the roller rink and wearing our roller gang t-shirts that said "The Cobra's" on them, I remember ladies choice and the disco ball in the center of the rink floor, the lights being lowered, and Journey playing........

Bonnie said:
I remember rollerskating everyweek at the roller rink and wearing our roller gang t-shirts that said "The Cobra's" on them, I remember ladies choice and the disco ball in the center of the rink floor, the lights being lowered, and Journey playing........

Roller gang? The Cobras?

I shudder in fear just picturing it.

GotZoom said:
Roller gang? The Cobras?

I shudder in fear just picturing it.

Ha ha ha!! :rolleyes:

Actually it was just a bunch of us guys and girls that had our little rollerskate clique so we had t-shirts made up, but hey we ruled the rink !!! :laugh:

I remember camping-out in the front yard with some neighborhood friends, looking at the stars
and talking about how cool it would be to see Haleys' comet in 22 yrs. and thinking 22 years is a long way away. When it happened I never saw it, damn it..(and yes, we said cool way back in the 60s)

Bonnie said:
Ahhh, but the skate "key"...yer way to young to know that one..

Forum List

Back