I remember when.....

how about a slingshot made out of the "perfect" branch!

Man, this thread has got me miss'n the old days. I was back in Texas not long ago visiting some friends that live about 2 hours outside of Ft. Worth. In many ways, it is still the same as when I was a kid. The kids run around playing cops and robbers, cowboys and indians, etc. The only difference now is that the schools are overcrowded with the kids of illegals that work on the ranches and farms. When I was a kid, we had the illegals that worked on the ranches and farms too, but back then, only the males came and they sent all their money home. Now they bring the entire nuclear and extended family with them and let the "system" take care of them. We always hear about how the cities are burdened with the debt of illegals, you would be surprised how many small towns and counties have it even worse since they have much smaller tax bases in which to draw from.

Sorry, let's get back to reminiscing....

I remember when taking the bus to a far off city was more common than flying.

Riding in the car without a car seat or seat belt on.

Upon arrival at the Jewel food store, my mother would lock us into the car and go do the shopping. She'd crack the windows of course and buckle us up at that point.

JarHead
Walking 2 miles to the town's swimming pool barefoot, and cutting through all the yards between our house and the park to do it.

My cousin lived in the country so we would walk for miles everywhere, to the drugstore to buy wacky packs trading cards, and sometimes we would do it barefoot.

CSM said:
yep...little green army men tied to em too. Playing in a sand box that really was a box with sand in it.

The only engine powered lawn mowers were used for the cemetary (they were big uns too) because they were way too expensive for the average household. Those old push mowers were a lot quieter too.
A real sand box was as rare as a color TV, but if ya found one it was heaven!..we just used the best dirt. Man those toy trucks made great roads.. :rotflmao:

CSM said:
Yep yep

I bet most households dont even have one around these days.

I can remember when the clothes washer had wringers on top.

Hey I own 3 of them, don't use them, but I do have some! :D

rktect3j said:
Riding in the car without a car seat or seat belt on.

Upon arrival at the Jewel food store, my mother would lock us into the car and go do the shopping. She'd crack the windows of course and buckle us up at that point.

That's illegal now. :D

I remember the guys at school making little paper footballs and using their fingers as goal posts would flick the footballs with their fingers across the lunch tables or desks.

what about trading pop bottles in for MONEY! I remember walking to the neighborhood store to trade them in. I also remember being able, at 7, 8, etc. being able to go to the neighborhood store to buy cigs for my dad.

freeandfun1 said:
how about a slingshot made out of the "perfect" branch!

Man, this thread has got me miss'n the old days. I was back in Texas not long ago visiting some friends that live about 2 hours outside of Ft. Worth. In many ways, it is still the same as when I was a kid. The kids run around playing cops and robbers, cowboys and indians, etc. The only difference now is that the schools are overcrowded with the kids of illegals that work on the ranches and farms. When I was a kid, we had the illegals that worked on the ranches and farms too, but back then, only the males came and they sent all their money home. Now they bring the entire nuclear and extended family with them and let the "system" take care of them. We always hear about how the cities are burdened with the debt of illegals, you would be surprised how many small towns and counties have it even worse since they have much smaller tax bases in which to draw from.

Sorry, let's get back to reminiscing....

I remember when taking the bus to a far off city was more common than flying.
and the trains too...commuter trains too.

metal ice chests instead of plastic coolers

No such thing as bottled water...and Fizzies...and NECCO wafers

They taught geography in grade school.

Bonnie said:
I remember the guys at school making little paper footballs and using their fingers as goal posts would flick the footballs with their fingers across the lunch tables or desks.

I just taught my boy's how to do that the other day! :D However I did instruct them not to be doing it in school, or they may end up in trouble!! :huh:

Bonnie said:

They're 40, and they still do that!

How about double dutch marathons? Taking 35 cents to the corner liquor store, and coming out with more than 35 pieces of candy... Swedish Fish were like 2 for a penny or something, and they were BIG.

Girls had cooties back then....

National Holidays really meant something besides a day off from work.

The "old Folks" still remembered WWII...and talked about it, but not in front of the children.

Shattered said:
They're 40, and they still do that!

How about double dutch marathons? Taking 35 cents to the corner liquor store, and coming out with more than 35 pieces of candy... Swedish Fish were like 2 for a penny or something, and they were BIG.

I LOVED sweedish fish, still do, the big red ones YUM!

I remember hating being called in for dinner when I was playing with my friends, or having to go home when it got dark, that's always when it was just getting fun!!

Mr. P said:
Somewhere, I still have my marbles. Make a circle in the dirt and lets get a game!:D
alas, I have lost my marbles!

We used to use the "hole in the dirt" form of the game...even to the extent of making little mini "golf" courses.

Forum List

Back