i need a favor

It is getting to the point where I would vote for some candidate who claimed to be fiscally irresponsible, just to see if they are lying too.

The trouble with "Fiscally responsible" is that it is along the lines of what the scientific community calls "Lies to children." A useful metaphor that explains things so that the they are comprehensible, but are totally wrong in every detail.

According to both moneterist and Keynseian economic theory, a government which is fiscally responsible during an economic crisis is totally irrisponsible when dealing with the real issues at hand.

So right now, I think I would prefer the Frank Sinatra Candidate

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OfkcUqZMZ94"]truth[/ame]

• Thanks
Reactions: del
Maybe she figured if it was okay for members of the administration not to pay their taxes, it was good enough for her?

i was thinking that she certainly qualifies for a czar type position at least.

maybe chicken choking? it seems to be a topic that interests her.

There's another aspect to this: the most fervent reformers are they newly converted.

I don't know the details of O'Donnell's situation, but considering how many homeowners have mortgages that are underwater in the U.S., she is hardly alone in doing a distress sale to avoid foreclosure.

The victims of the crisis of Big Government (for that is the root cause), are the individually powerless working and middle classes who are on the "giving" end of the spreading around the wealth to special interests con game performed by politicians. It's understandable that some of the various local leaders of the tea party movement have someone spotty personal financial histories - they represent the people who are taking risks, working hard, and are often just a couple of pay checks away from losing their homes. The taxpayers are saying enough. If we expect them to be saints, we'll be sorely disappointed.

For my part, I'll vote for the most fiscally conservative candidate who doesn't throw in a bunch of social planks such as abortion, gay marriage, gays in the military. All I care about is getting the country's fiscal mess cleaned up for good. The proof will be their behavior once they taste a bit of power. It's not risk free, but it is better than voting for incumbent "earmark addicted" dinosaurs.

:thup:

i keep reading about how the tea party is all about *fiscal responsibility* and that any repub who isn't for *fiscal responsibility* shoiuld be drummed out of the party.

i've thought about it and i can't think of any candidate, of any party, who claimed to be anything other than *fiscally responsible* and yet i've never seen anything resembling that once they get elected.

why should i believe that the tea party backed candidates will be any different?

o'donnell is the latest candidate that the tea party has put forward as an exemplar of fiscal rectitude, but she doesn't pay her own bills, including her mortgage and taxes. :lol:

But while she was courting voters, she amassed thousands of dollars in campaign debt, was confronted by the IRS about unpaid income taxes and sold her Wilmington home to a campaign staffer to avoid a sheriff's sale ordered to settle mortgage claims, a News Journal investigation shows

Delaware politics: O'Donnell faces campaign debt, back-tax issues | delawareonline.com | The News Journal

can someone 'splain this to me? :confused:

thanks

Of all the politicians I know of only Senator McCain can boast that he doesn't bring home "pork". I'd call that fiscally responsible.

You voted for Rangel (or would have), right?
I don't even live in NY, nevermind Harlem.

You missed the "would have"?

Meaning if you didn't live in VT, you "would have if you could have"....

Would I have voted for Rangel? That would depend on who the other candidates were. As a man who has been convicted of nothing, he'll be re-elected like so many Republicans facing similar charges have been re-elected.

Maybe she figured if it was okay for members of the administration not to pay their taxes, it was good enough for her?

i was thinking that she certainly qualifies for a czar type position at least.

maybe chicken choking? it seems to be a topic that interests her.

There's another aspect to this: the most fervent reformers are they newly converted.

I don't know the details of O'Donnell's situation, but considering how many homeowners have mortgages that are underwater in the U.S., she is hardly alone in doing a distress sale to avoid foreclosure.

did she sign a loan agreement that included the payment provisions?

What is fiscally conservative? Is it the candidate who defers fixing pot holes, reduces the number and frequency of police patrols, closes firehouses, turn off street lights, but cuts taxes and lays off employees?
Is that what many of you want?
Many whine about public employee salaries and retirements, yet praise the same employees when they move into harms way, the most recent example being the firestorm which hit San Bruno, CA last week.
Many praise the private sector yet we saw how profit trumped safety in this firestorm last week, pipes known to be 'at risk' had not been replaced because PG&E - a public utility - seemingly valued stockholders more than the public safety. Consider too that many natural gas lines are not public utilities and are less likely to receive scrutiny by a regulatory commission.
Due to neglect the infrastructure of our nation is not being maintained or replaced. Is a person fiscally conservative when s/he chooses not to paint their home, replace or repair leaking gutters or roofs?

Snip from boedicca's post: "All I care about is getting the country's fiscal mess cleaned up for good. The proof will be their behavior once they taste a bit of power. It's not risk free, but it is better than voting for incumbent "earmark addicted" dinosaurs."

Applause and ditto. :)

When it comes to politicians, any politician, you should think of a salesman, i.e., let the buyer beware.

• Thanks
Preaching responsibility while failing to pay her own bills?

perfect Republican candidate.

Although, your statement is true....the democrats have demonstrated that they are no better. What is one to do? Seems there is no choice right now except to vote for the person that is going to do the least amount of damage while in office.

• Thanks

Although, your statement is true....the democrats have demonstrated that they are no better. What is one to do? Seems there is no choice right now except to vote for the person that is going to do the least amount of damage while in office.

Based on the experience under Republican control from 2000 to 2006, and in control of the White House for two additional years, I'd say that's a good rationale to vote Dem.

• Thanks

Based on the experience under Republican control from 2000 to 2006, and in control of the White House for two additional years, I'd say that's a good rationale to vote Dem.

Says the liberal, maybe not so much to a conservative.
From 2006 to 2010 things haven't been going so well now have they? I think I will stick to voting as a conservative even after reading your unbiased post. :lol:

The way things are going now, you extremist leftists won't be controlling much of anything for a LONG while... That suits me just fine....

The "rule from the left" experiment has shown to be an epic failure...

The way things are going now, you extremist leftists won't be controlling much of anything for a LONG while... That suits me just fine....

The "rule from the left" experiment has shown to be an epic failure...

Rule from the left?
*continue Bush policies in Iraq and Afghanistan - including doing a double-down of Bush policies in Afghanistan.
*continue the bailout scheme devised by the Bush administration.
*Pass a health care reform bill so milquetoast that it doesn't even provide for public health care expansion, a bill based on principles supported by the RNC and the Heritage Foundation circa 1994.
*pass a financial reform bill that still relies on the market to accurately price risk and measure their own capital needs.
*keep the Bush-era privacy policies in place.
*keep GITMO open.

If that's "rule from the left" I'd hate to see what rule from the right might look like.

IMO, the teaparty is just the new term for social conservatives.

Being libertarian in nature, I wish that were not true. In my limited experience of the tea party members I know in my neck of the woods, each and every one of them are evangelical Christian, homeschooling, issues voters. In other words, social conservatives. Nothing wrong with that, if it is your cup of tea......no pun intended. Just the same old product in a shiny new wrapper.

Forum List

Back