“I’ll go to jail” – Florida Veteran told to remove military flags from restaurant pro

That is not stand up. That is asinine. He is using an emotional platform because he is pissed, if he meant business he would fight this in a more appropriate forum where he could actually make a difference instead of a little stink.

Wrong. It was very stand up.

He can make his case in the manner he deems appropriate and warranted under the specific circumstances.

That asshole "law" is too absurd to credit. It is facially UnConstituional and he therefore has a perfectly legitimate right to expose it for what it is.

He is making a difference, too. He got that idiot local ordinance nationally recognized and got the debate, in which YOU are participating, under way.

Do a little research on your "hero" he is an opportunist and a creep that is using military service as means to make money.

Cite your research and then, by all means, back up whatever the fuck it is you think you are grunting out.

Otherwise, you'd be much better off practicing (religiously) the ancient art of STFU.

:thup:

Wrong. It was very stand up.

He can make his case in the manner he deems appropriate and warranted under the specific circumstances.

That asshole "law" is too absurd to credit. It is facially UnConstituional and he therefore has a perfectly legitimate right to expose it for what it is.

He is making a difference, too. He got that idiot local ordinance nationally recognized and got the debate, in which YOU are participating, under way.

Do a little research on your "hero" he is an opportunist and a creep that is using military service as means to make money.

Cite your research and then, by all means, back up whatever the fuck it is you think you are grunting out.

Otherwise, you'd be much better off practicing (religiously) the ancient art of STFU.

This is not about freedom of speech which is what "Crazy" Eddie Colosimo is asserting. This has to do with a recent ordinance which was passed where a permit is required for what he was displaying not what it says. (see Municode) Ordinance 2932.

No one will put him in jail, he is being a drama queen. He has an opportunity to discuss this with the town in a matter of weeks.

He is most definitely a flim flam artist preying on the emotions of those, much like myself, who support US military both active and former while suggesting that his 1st amendment rights stomped on.

He will accept donations to the non profit veterans group where he us a leader.

He has an opportunity to be heard on this matter as he had before the ordinance was enacted. Time for "crazy" Eddie to act like the American he professes to be and deal with this through normal and recognized channels just like anybody else or he could be fined just like anyone else regardless of his cause.

Last edited:
"Liberal" or not liberal is NOT the issue.

The issue is why the FUCK should ANY city demand that any proprietor of any business apply for "permit" to fly the colors of any of our services? If he wanted to fly a banner for Pepsi, I can see how that might come within the parameters of regulation of commercial activity.

But he's not advertising or recruiting for any of the armed services. He is HONORING those who have served. And if that's not free speech, then what exactly IS free speech?

Because some low-life wants to make commercial advantage by naming his bar as if were a VFW post and flying military flags. This is not patriotism any more than charity bingo in Florida is religion. I'd like to see his 990 and find out where this "non-profit" is donating the profits. I'll bet anyone a beer at the Air Commando Association bar down the street that all of it goes to him.
Change your username to "Bitter" old fart....
Making up shit and spewing venom when you have no clue what it is you are yammering about makes you into an asshole.
Now go ahead. Reply with something clever. I will bury you.

This is not about freedom of speech which is what "Crazy" Eddie Colosimo is asserting. This has to do with a recent ordinance which was passed where a permit is required for what he was displaying not what it says. (see Municode) Ordinance 2932.

No one will put him in jail, he is being a drama queen. He has an opportunity to discuss this with the town in a matter of weeks.

He is most definitely a flim flam artist preying on the emotions of those, much like myself, who support US military both active and former while suggesting that his 1st amendment rights stomped on.

He has an opportunity to be heard on this matter as he had before the ordinance was enacted. Time for "crazy" Eddie to act like the American he professes to be and deal with this through normal and recognized channels just like anybody else or he could be fined just like anyone else regardless of his cause.
"Heard"?...Let me give you a little lesson on small town politics. A subject on which I have first hand knowledge. Once a town's politicians make up their collective mind about something, that is IT....One does not challenge their authority.

^ connery can't imagine that there is no reason to take his word for anything.

It's crystal clear that you are asserting your own mere opinion.

It is just as clear that you cannot back up what you have claimed.

But it is also true that the ordinance is not JUST facially stupid, it is also (at least in its application in this matter) UnConstitutional.

Thus, there is simply no reason NOT to ignore it, violate it, challenge it, mock it, publicize it and/or piss on it.

I suspect that Mr. Colosimo is completely indifferent to your bleatings on the matter, conny.

But he's not advertising or recruiting for any of the armed services. He is HONORING those who have served. And if that's not free speech, then what exactly IS free speech?

Free speech is the government not imprisoning people for political speech.

I'd say this qualifies.

Hopefully they'll back off.

Key word I read in the article "in front of his store"

If the "in front of his store" is owned by him, I am on his side. I don't like having municipalities telling anyone how they can decorate their property.

If the "in front of his store" is owned by the city, then he needs to file for the permit or a variance.

On one side it's a property rights issue, the other is who controls city commons.

Just my two cents

"Heard"?...Let me give you a little lesson on small town politics. A subject on which I have first hand knowledge. Once a town's politicians make up their collective mind about something, that is IT....One does not challenge their authority.

Holy shit....you are nuts, Coach. This case will prove you wrong in a few weeks.

You are wrong about almost everything....especially when you start spouting off about your "experiences".

How's the wound healing, anyway?

Okay, so if those flags have been there for two years, and a new law was only passed in March, like the article says:

These flags have been here every weekend for two years, but just this week, Colosimo received a letter from the city informing him that flying the flags violates a new city code passed in March.
Then surely he should not have to take down the flags, as they were flying before this law passed?

And also if certain other flags are allowed to be flown, as it states:

The new law requires businesses to apply for a permit to display a temporary sign or banner on their property; however, the American, POW, and state flags are allowed.
Then why the refusal to allow him to fly a military flag?

So I rode on over to Crazy Eddie's place - BFFAR
Damn cool club.
Almost like an Elks or Moose club, meaning a private club (it was nice to be able to smoke indoors again!)
IMG_20130415_170113_zpsc7fd9778.jpg

As you can see in the pic, they're not humungous eye sores.
They're, what, 6-7ft tall??
Just to the right of the frame, there's a convenience store across the street literally smothered in cigarette and beer signs.

Now, from what he told me, they're really wanting to hold him to an older ordinance that says, "no more than three flags may be flown on any parcel of land".
He may manage to be "grand-fathered" in to this most recent 'banner rule'.

But nonetheless, it's just plain out silly and the city/county residents need to pressure their commissioners to scrap this kind of bullshit.

I'll add that while we were there no less than a half-dozen others stopped in just to shake his hand, tell him "Semper Fi", and to keep up the fight!
:cool:
Eddie says he's gotten calls from places as far away as California and Alaska.
The story went national before he knew it.

While I didn't join his club....only one location and it's across the state....we did spend $35 for food and beer and dropped a 20 in his donation box

:salute:

Okay, so if those flags have been there for two years, and a new law was only passed in March, like the article says:

These flags have been here every weekend for two years, but just this week, Colosimo received a letter from the city informing him that flying the flags violates a new city code passed in March.
Then surely he should not have to take down the flags, as they were flying before this law passed?

And also if certain other flags are allowed to be flown, as it states:

The new law requires businesses to apply for a permit to display a temporary sign or banner on their property; however, the American, POW, and state flags are allowed.
Then why the refusal to allow him to fly a military flag?

So I rode on over to Crazy Eddie's place - BFFAR
Damn cool club.
Almost like an Elks or Moose club, meaning a private club (it was nice to be able to smoke indoors again!)
IMG_20130415_170113_zpsc7fd9778.jpg

As you can see in the pic, they're not humungous eye sores.
They're, what, 6-7ft tall??
Just to the right of the frame, there's a convenience store across the street literally smothered in cigarette and beer signs.

Now, from what he told me, they're really wanting to hold him to an older ordinance that says, "no more than three flags may be flown on any parcel of land".
He may manage to be "grand-fathered" in to this most recent 'banner rule'.

But nonetheless, it's just plain out silly and the city/county residents need to pressure their commissioners to scrap this kind of bullshit.

I'll add that while we were there no less than a half-dozen others stopped in just to shake his hand, tell him "Semper Fi", and to keep up the fight!
:cool:
Eddie says he's gotten calls from places as far away as California and Alaska.
The story went national before he knew it.

While I didn't join his club....only one location and it's across the state....we did spend $35 for food and beer and dropped a 20 in his donation box

:salute:

Great information. Gonna have to think on this one.

Is it in a strip shopping center? I see a waterbed store.

Oh, I see. You shot the photo from his storefront

Last edited:

Not in my experience. I have been successful in having laws changed.

^ connery can't imagine that there is no reason to take his word for anything.

It's crystal clear that you are asserting your own mere opinion.

It is just as clear that you cannot back up what you have claimed.

But it is also true that the ordinance is not JUST facially stupid, it is also (at least in its application in this matter) UnConstitutional.

Thus, there is simply no reason NOT to ignore it, violate it, challenge it, mock it, publicize it and/or piss on it.

I suspect that Mr. Colosimo is completely indifferent to your bleatings on the matter, conny.

LOL "Crazy" Eddie lied about the issue.

Look at his website. He's a non-profit outfit....how do you get non-profit status for a restaurant and bar? He also is endorsing candidates, a big no no for non-profit status, and running for office himself.

Sounds like he's using the military to make money and get publicity.

A rightwingloon entitlement junkie to be sure.

Look at his website. He's a non-profit outfit....how do you get non-profit status for a restaurant and bar? He also is endorsing candidates, a big no no for non-profit status, and running for office himself.

Sounds like he's using the military to make money and get publicity.

A rightwingloon entitlement junkie to be sure.

Ravi, an established full-tilt leftwingloon, hates nipples AND free speech for anybody who doesn't share her limited views.

an established full-tilt leftwingloon, hates nipples AND free speech for anybody who doesn't share her limited views.

This is the best you can offer as any type of comment in this thread. You need some remedial work on just about all of your issues; mostly your cognitive skills. I told you to do some research on this flim flam artist, but you sat on a mushroom and spoke of that which you knew nothing about.

More on "Crazy" Eddie ... "Butt the group's name should more closely reflect its purpose...They also were protesting Daytona Beach's ordinances against nudity. But the mission, as Bailey points out, has changed. Non-bikers can join the group by paying the $10 annual fee. The drive to protect property rights and constitutional rights appears to have a broader appeal..."...:clap2: :lol:

B.F.F.A.R.

Why not just apply for the permit and avoid all the drama? I doubt it's all that hard.

One should not have to pay to exercise his rights on his property,

It would appear that what he is doing is basically harmless. The city does have a right to limit commercial business display, but this seems to be taking it too far.

Looking at the picture supplied, the business sign for a bar looks massive. Most cities I've lived in would not allow such a huge sign for a smallish business, so the flags are minimal by comparison. If I were a city official I would have a much bigger problem with, what appears to be, the cheesy looking banner over the sign.

Gotta be on the Owners side on this one. His base customer is a biker that is also a veteran. These flags are an important part of his customers lives and the city should either look the other way, grandfather him in or grant a variance without resistance. If what I've read is true and he has flown them for years without comment from the city, then the city is at fault for not enforcing the ordinance during preceding years.

Last comment is how the flags are displayed. Can't tell how deep the poles are or how sturdy the poles are (they appear flimsy), but they look as though a strong wind would take them down, and that's no way to treat a flag that's important to you.

Forum List

Back