I had no idea the technology had come this far.

R

rdean

When I first saw the Wizard of Oz as a kid in the 1950's, I had no idea it was in color until the first color TV's in the 60's. Every year, people all over the country watched the movie as an "event". The TV I first watched it on had a "round" screen and the outside of the TV was made of wood.

Remember when the first "colorized" movies came out? How awful they were?

Like this one. Half the picture was left grey and most parts were only "tinted".

PHOTO_13018162_66470_8093159_ap.jpg

casablanca_colorized.jpg

Eventually, they got so good at it, you've probably seen colorized movies and pictures and never even knew they weren't filmed in color.

shirley.jpg

131387369_191n.jpg

Jia6Ph.jpg

For the last couple of years, Hollywood has taken a few movies and attempted to turn them into 3d with pretty awful results. The Last Airbender, The Green Lantern and a few others. The problem with the Green Lantern was the backgrounds in space looked flat. And the Last Airbender looked "dark and dirty" for a kid's movie.

Well, this Wizard Of Oz I watched tonight was as good as any 3d movie I have ever seen. The matt backgrounds, which looked so fake in the movie were carefully crafted into 3d that looked like it want on forever.

wizardofoz5740.jpg

The scene with the Emerald City and the poppies was mind blowing. The poppies sprawled right out of the screen and I had no idea they had wind machines going so they swayed. The city looked incredible because of the added depth.

witchelphabacastle.jpg

The "witch's castle looked especially amazing because the mountains that look so flat in this picture, went far into the background. It truly looked like it was a castle set in front of a mountain range.

I'm really excited at what comes next. I just hope I live long enough to see some of the newer technologies that are coming out. And have enough left to appreciate what I'm seeing.

Awesome thread, rdean.

I haven't seen TWOO in 3D yet, it was only at the local cinema for one night, and one session only, and I missed it. I'd love to see it, though. Its a great movie.

I saw The Lion King in 3D and I think they stuffed that up. It wasn't any better than the 2D version.

Forum List

Back