MIT Modular Cubic Self Assembling Robots.

Granny says, "Dat's right - dey gonna be sorry when the Anti-Christ turns out to be a robot...

Elon Musk: We are 'summoning a demon' with artificial intelligence
Oct. 27, 2014 | "You know those stories where there's the guy with the pentagram and the holy water, and he's like -- Yeah, he's sure he can control the demon? Doesn't work out," Elon Musk said.
Tesla and Spacex founder and CEO Elon Musk, speaking with students at the MIT AeroAstro Centennial Symposium, gave a chilling warning about artificial intelligence.

Without strict regulation and caution, he said, the development of artificial intelligence could turn into something uncontrollable. I think we should be very careful about artificial intelligence. If I had to guess at what our biggest existential threat is, it's probably that. So we need to be very careful with artificial intelligence.

I'm increasingly inclined to think that there should be some regulatory oversight, maybe at the national and international level, just to make sure that we don't do something very foolish. With artificial intelligence we're summoning the demon. You know those stories where there's the guy with the pentagram and the holy water, and he's like -- Yeah, he's sure he can control the demon? Doesn't work out.

This is not the first time Musk has warned against AI. He once said it was potentially more dangerous than nuclear weapons. He is not the only one to express such fears. Physicist Stephen Hawking wrote in an article that dismissing the threat of AI would be the "worst mistake in history."

Video

Forum List

Back