I had an interesting conversation this evening.

Via PM, so I'm not going to reveal any details.

It was with someone with whom I've shared several violent disagreements, and lots of verbal abuse, from both parties.

He'd posted something I thought was interesting, so I PMed him and told him. He then shared something intensely personal, which surprised me -- I wouldn't have thought he'd have opened up to me, of all people.

Turns out -- and this is the interesting part -- he's a real guy, with real problems, real successes, and a real life.

Who knew? I mean, aren't all you people -- me, too, I guess -- just words on a monitor? Well, I don't go away when I turn off my 'puter, but I do when you turn off yours. Hopefully. I'd hate to be stuck there in your living room.

Yeah, I know this is kinda not really news. But we were both lamenting the fact that all too often discussions devolve -- sometimes immediately -- into bad language and insults. Trying to "win", as if they other guy is ever going to say, "You know what? You're right. I never thought about it that way before. Thanks!" And of course, if everyone's just flinging insults, that's NEVER going to happen. "You know what? You're right. I AM a moron! Thanks!" It's easy to forget that there are real people on the other end of the internet tube.

I have changed my mind on at least one issue -- gays serving openly in the military -- due to online conversations. Well, not necessarily conversations about the topic, but conversations with a guy. With a real life. Whose words went away when I turned off my computer, but who continued existing in his real life in his real home, living with his real husband and with his real pride at being a Marine.

And I admit it: I can be a real jerk online. Trying to "win". Being insulting. Using language that I don't use in real life. When I took a break from USMB earlier this year, it seems like I was just a little bit happier with myself. Just a little bit more cheerful. Not catching myself reading a news story and thinking, "Man, I can't wait to post this and show those guys!"

Because frankly, some of you are real jerks online, too. Most of us are, at times. Some more than others, and I do believe I'm one of the some.

I enjoy substantive conversations, doing research to back up my arguments. It can be frustrating, though, having that research immediately dismissed and ridiculed. Hey, I spent TIME doing that! Read it, you jerk! But the jerk doesn't read it, so I'm less likely to spend time doing research the next time. And ultimately, there's no research at all, and there's nothing left but insults.

Can the mods do anything about it? No, I've modded small boards before, and it's a pain in the behind. I can't imagine what it's like running a huge zoo like this place. Admin, mods, you guys have my respect.

Nor should they do anything about it. I've been on boards where behavior is rigidly enforced. And the standards are never applied evenly. There's always a protected class, and whether I was part of it or not, unfair application of standards pisses me off.

No, if anyone is dissatisfied with their behavior, it's up to them and to them alone to change it. Don't like being a jerk? Don't be a jerk. Don't like entering a thread with an insult instead of discussion? Either stay out, or discuss. Don't insult.

Yes, I'm going to try to take my own advice. I want to be a better man than I have been. Gonna give it a shot, at any rate. And part of being a better man is apologizing to anyone I've hurt. I'm sorry. I keep saying that no one can hurt you without your permission, but I don't think everyone knows that.

So, again, if I've hurt you, I'm sorry. I'll try not to do it any more. I'll slip up -- I'm only human, after all -- but I'm going to try.

My anonymous discussion partner asked if we could find any common ground. I think we have. And I want to thank him for giving me the opportunity for some introspection. That's never a bad thing.

G'night, USMB. I'm gonna shut off my 'puter now, and you'll still be wherever you are, real people with real lives. And I'll still be here, a real guy with a real life.

See you tomorrow. A guy trying to be a better man will be logging in as daveman. :beer:

Dave and I discussed this last night and having taken the night to think about it, we decided we would share with you that I am "the other guy".

I credit Dave for writing me about one of my posts. I have to say, my first impulse was to shine him on a bit because, for me to reply honestly, I would have to lay open a very personal and difficult part of my life. But, I realized that Dave had taken a huge chance on me and I felt I wanted to return that gesture to him. So, I took the chance and I did talk honestly and openly with him.

Some of you may remember that Jeremiah and I have done the same thing and through some long conversations and trusting each other's motives, we have found a common ground and friendship.

Surely its true of all of us - that we have much more in common than we have differences. Aren't we all just trying to live our lives the best way we know how? Don't we all have families and bills that come due and tragedies and triumphs and ups and down and all the daily detritus of the human condition.

Its way too easy to forget that there is a real person behind all those typed words. Its also very easy to use language that you would never use in real life.

Recently, I've seen posts here that lament the almost total absense of quality conversation, discussion and debate. I have said that I stopped trying to understand others' points of view and seldom bother trying to actually add substantive comments.

While its true that I just don't want to read the foul language and nastiness, a huge part of my withdrawal has been a reaction to a tragic event in my own life. I have so much anger and pain, and I have used this board and my fellow posters as a place to dump it. It has been wrong of me to do that and I sincerely apologize for it.

Moreover, I have realized that instead of geting rid of all the anger, this has fed those flames. For my own mental health, its got to stop.

I don't have any answers but what I know for sure is that no one can take me anyplace I don't want to go. By that, I mean I don't have to call names and use foul language. If I choose that, its no one's fault but my own. By the same token, I cannot control what others do. I can only control myself.

For the reasons I've described, and because I'm glad I opened up to two people whose lives and beliefs are so different from me, I'm turning over a new leaf.

I am taking a personal pledge to behave here just as I would if you people were sitting in my living room. I will continue to openly disagree with others but I will not react with nastiness, name calling and foul language. (I really should leave myself an weasel out in case I fall off the wagon but I have never thrown hot coffee at a visitor sitting in my living room.)

Thank you to Dave and to Jeremiah. I have long believed that the phenomenon of the internet message board is a tiny microcosm that represents what's going on in the real world. Maybe, if we work together, we can pay it forward.

I believe that its worth a try.
You need to turn your rep back on, buddy. :thup:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LJr6FknZhpM]Soweto Gospel Choir - Khumbaya (OFFICIAL VIDEO) - YouTube[/ame]

My point is you aren't civil, or honest, in your posts on the open board.

Your private demeanor and communication style is quite different, per daveman. Go figure, you're a hypocrite. Tell us something we didn't know already.
kg, he says he's going to work to make his public persona more like his private one. Just like I said.

Give him a chance. Is that so hard to do?

So true, gracie...Meanwhile, why don't you:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RkZC7sqImaM]John Lennon - Give Peace A Chance - YouTube[/ame]

I look forward to the day when honesty and a true love of humanity are as obvious in his public postings as you maintain they are in his private ones.

Until then, I can only go by what I have personally witnessed.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SuFScoO4tb0]Billy Joel - Honesty - YouTube[/ame]

Ummm...how many threads have you and the rest of the staff had to move to Badlands? :lol: People get their noses out of joint here, too.

I suggest you review the Rules as there are many reasons and instances where a thread may get moved any sub-forum.

Moreover, my position was never couched in a Pollyanna-like view of what a occurs in any setting virtual or real, it was based on my observation, experience and environment where I have make most of my arguments, indeed, the order of the day is adversarial and cutthroat.
But when it's that adversarial and cutthroat, the signal gets lost in the noise. The only people who wind up hearing your arguments are those who already agree with them.

Of course the only behavior we can control is our own. You can't MAKE the other guy calmly consider your views.

I was given a wonderful opportunity -- a chance for some introspection. The purpose of this thread is to pay it forward.

Maybe -- just maybe -- we can make the signal a little stronger, and the noise a little lower.

We don't have to all sit around holding hands singing "Give Peace a Chance". But maybe some of us can start talking instead of screaming.

By the way -- thanks for making such an awesome place to hang out. :thup:

Adversarial=competitive

Cutthroat=cunning and willing to go to any legal lengths to convince the audience your position is the correct and true position.

There is nothing wrong with that, we all know that walking into the discussion. The parameters are set forth prior to engagement and there are rules of the engagement set forth where the referee has discretion on how they would like the situation to go.

Thank you as well.....we all make USMB a great place for discussion as we each serve an important role in this very large group of people discussing issues and sharing of themselves.

I have cried so much now I have given myself a headache. Thanks, Dave. First time I've ever thanked anyone for a headache. Also to Ropey: Sorry, Ropey. I could have tried harder. Next time I will.

I'm not sure why you feel sorry. I've been having fun with our forum posts. :)

I'm sorry because sometimes I read into things - messages that aren't there. I'm not healed yet. I'm trying to work it out but it just seems like it isn't happening fast enough. I'm sorry because whatever that is in me is coming out sideways at other people and in this case - you - over a poem. I hate that about myself. I'm sorry if I have hurt you. It's me lashing out at something that has nothing to do with you. I'm working on it, Ropey. It's a start. I love your beautiful poetic mind. You truly are a gifted poet. I admire your talent and grieve over my own blindness. - Jeremiah
For most of us, the written word can be a fairly uncommunicative way to communicate. Subtleties get lost. Nuances get lost. Even humor gets lost.

Perhaps if you don't understand what someone's trying to say, it's best to ask for clarification. :)

I'm not sure why you feel sorry. I've been having fun with our forum posts. :)

I'm sorry because sometimes I read into things - messages that aren't there. I'm not healed yet. I'm trying to work it out but it just seems like it isn't happening fast enough. I'm sorry because whatever that is in me is coming out sideways at other people and in this case - you - over a poem. I hate that about myself. I'm sorry if I have hurt you. It's me lashing out at something that has nothing to do with you. I'm working on it, Ropey. It's a start. I love your beautiful poetic mind. You truly are a gifted poet. I admire your talent and grieve over my own blindness. - Jeremiah

jeri...

there are A LOT of people who read more into things then are really there. It is not just you. You would be amazed at what people read into my avatars.
"Astounding cleavage".

The message seems pretty clear to me. :confused:

jeri...

there are A LOT of people who read more into things then are really there. It is not just you. You would be amazed at what people read into my avatars.
"Astounding cleavage".

see... that is what you read into it. I am sure others have a differing opinion.

me... i want them whacked back to a smaller size so they are a bit less astounding. :lol:

Everybody is a real person, particularly to themselves.

What separates the chaff from the wheat is how they treat, or propose to treat, others. Name calling and shit flinging on the board is a mode of communication...and anyone will maintain in private convo that they are complex people with Really Good Reasons for being who they are...and there's no doubt they really believe they are fully justified in whatever crap philosophy they support and spread.

But the test of humanity isn't in how socially adept they are, or how dearly they hold their own beliefs. It's how their beliefs, applied, affect other people.

Luddly is dishonest as the day is long, and the purpose of his dishonesty is to make a shithole out of the world. I could care less that he's charming and delighful, and REALLY BELIEVES the shit he spews. I could have told you he believes it...well, he believes some of it. Some of it is just a pack of lies meant to promote a culture of death and disease.

So, meh. The devil disguises himself in many ways, but he's still the devil.

No, he's not. He's the one of the most genuine, beautiful people I've ever met in my life. Haven't you ever hurt before? I have! I have shared my own personal story of pain and suffering with Luddly and never once did I fear he would tell anyone about it. I knew he wouldn't. He is a faithful friend. How often do you find one of those out there?

By Luddly sharing his own private thoughts, experiences he gave me courage to share my own! It is hell to live with something and not tell others because you fear they will judge you as an "unforgiving christian"! I could not carry that burden forever, KG.

I am telling you the truth when I tell you that Luddly has helped me more than I thought humanly possible. There is no one who will ever understand you as well as the one who has walked in your shoes before. He helped me to see myself differently and I find I great comfort and solace in having Luddly for a friend.

I have to tell you that when you are hurting Luddly you're hurting me. He's not the devil, he's a G-d send and I'm grateful for him. One day maybe I will openly talk about my own pain but right now I'm not ready for all that. In the meantime, realize that the world is just not as black and white as you think it is, Koshergirl. It just isn't.

- Jeri

Dishonest is dishonest. If he's dishonest in one arena, he's dishonest in all arenas.

Just sayin. When a dishonest person is wonderful and kind, it isn't because they're stellar people. It's because they're manipulative.
Do you really think I can be manipulated by someone without Syrenn-class cleavage? :lol:

jeri...

"Astounding cleavage".

see... that is what you read into it. I am sure others have a differing opinion.

me... i want them whacked back to a smaller size so they are a bit less astounding. :lol:

Is that based on the theory that more than a handful is a waste? :D

jeri...

"Astounding cleavage".

That, my dear, would be a crime against nature.

Forum List

Back