I envy gun owners (the responsible ones)

While it may be possible to get gun rights restored I'm just not interested in jumping through the hoops and paying some lawyer to do it. At least not right now. I'll have to be content with shooting my ACR & M1911 on Battlefield for now lol

You going yo let thar silly crap stand between you and your safety?

Go to a state where they don't ask any questions, buy a pistol, load it up, and put it in your nightstand.

If it comes down to the unthinkable, shoot first and worry about the consequences later.

In Missouri many black powder guns are not considered firearms under state or federal law.

This allows felons to hunt and protect themselves.
Convicted felons are prohibited from possessing firearms. But the legal definitions of what is and what isn't a "firearm" allow criminals to obtain black powder guns. And after talking with prosecutors, Smith can't find a legal reason to keep the man from owning the weapon.

Federal and Missouri laws define "firearm" to include a weapon that will or is designed to or may readily be converted to expel a projectile by an explosive. However, antique firearms manufactured in or before 1898 and modern replicas using an antique form of ignition such as matchlock, flintlock or percussion cap are not subject to regulation as firearms.

seMissourian.com: Local News: Loophole lets felons own certain firearms (01/05/04)

Same information from a different source:

Missouri firearm hunting permits allow felons to hunt in two legal methods -- with a bow and arrow or a black powder weapon. So not every felon who buys a firearm hunting permit is breaking the law and hunting with a rifle.

News 4 Investigates: Hunting Felons | KMOV.com St. Louis

While it may be possible to get gun rights restored I'm just not interested in jumping through the hoops and paying some lawyer to do it. At least not right now. I'll have to be content with shooting my ACR & M1911 on Battlefield for now lol

Go to a state where they don't ask any questions, buy a pistol, load it up, and put it in your nightstand.

If it comes down to the unthinkable, shoot first and worry about the consequences later.

In Missouri many black powder guns are not considered firearms under state or federal law.

This allows felons to hunt and protect themselves.
Convicted felons are prohibited from possessing firearms. But the legal definitions of what is and what isn't a "firearm" allow criminals to obtain black powder guns. And after talking with prosecutors, Smith can't find a legal reason to keep the man from owning the weapon.

Federal and Missouri laws define "firearm" to include a weapon that will or is designed to or may readily be converted to expel a projectile by an explosive. However, antique firearms manufactured in or before 1898 and modern replicas using an antique form of ignition such as matchlock, flintlock or percussion cap are not subject to regulation as firearms.

seMissourian.com: Local News: Loophole lets felons own certain firearms (01/05/04)

And there's always the crossbow.

This guy is trying to keep staying out of trouble. Carrying a firearm across state lines (especially if you are a convicted felon) would be a federal crime I think. Never underestimate "Mr. Murphy" ,especially if one is doing something a little shady. It could be something as 'benign' as getting a moving violation or his vehicle breaking down and the police either ask if he has a firearm and or find 'probable cause' to search his vehicle.

I really don't see how it's constitutional to take away a man's right just because he was convicted of a crime.

I can see it being taken away if they were a violent felon. In my opinion, a person's rights should be restored after a certain period of time as long as they had a clean record during that time frame.

The only time a person ought to lose his rights is if he is in prison. I thought we were talking about "inalienable rights" which are by definition granted by "our creator".

I don't care how the SCOTUS has royally fucked with our alleged rights over the centuries. They are either rights or they are privileges, subject to the ruling class. If we wish to restrict rights, then do so lawfully. Put a man in prison for life if he is a danger, but if he has served his time, it seems ludicrous that his "rights" are still within the restrictions of government.

Pardon me for not being knowledgeable of your restrictions but are air rifles and pistols OK? I have a good friend in the UK who had to turn in his target pistols when they became illegal. He and millions like him have kept up their marksmanship with air guns. European air guns are of incredible quality and accuracy. Unfortunately, they are also more expensive than the .22 plinkers we take for granted over here.

I have a small safe full of rifles and pistols but since I live in suburbia, I can't shoot in my yard. (Nor would I be so disrespectful of my neighbors). I have a low cost air rifle and pistol I can shoot in my garage against a solid back stop. With the garage door closed, it doesn't bother the neighbors. It's good practice, cheap and fun.

Me and an AF buddy smuggled a Webly revolver out of the U.K in 95. The old soldier couldn't stand the thought of it being destroyed.

I believe in a person's right to own or not own guns. I don't look down on anyone who chooses not to. I'm simply opposed to them who believe that I shouldn't because they don't like them.

I've owned more than 50 (estimated) guns in my life and currently own 14. The only reason I have this many right now is because I helped a couple of friends who were in a financial bind. I'm basically holding 5 guns until my friends can buy them back. If they never do -- then I'll either keep them or sell them for cash.

I'm sorry you aren't able to have them but it's my opinion that unless you are a violent felon that nothing should keep you from owning at least one for self protection.
I should like to ask the millions of Americans who feel as this poster does if there should not be a similar benign tolerance for those of our fellow citizens who feel about hand grenades, mortars or RPGs the way he does about guns. These weapon systems are also essential to any effective militia and can come in quite handy for home defense. All are forms of "arms" as cited in the Second Amendment.

Strict constructionists who interpret the Constitution by the light of the Founders' Intent, claim that the Second Amendment grants members of a state militia the right to keep and bear a smooth bore flintlock musket. Most of us think that is an overly strict and narrow interpretation and that the II Amendment gives pretty much everyone the right to own a semi-automatic firearm for home defense. But why draw the line there? Why not fully automatic firearms? Why not grenades and mortars? There is too much fuzzy thinking about this right to bear arms thing.

The Constitution means whatever the Supreme Court of the United States (SCOTUS) says it means. The decisions of the SCOTUS define and therefore become part of the Constitution. In the case of DISTRICT OF COLUMBIA et al. v. HELLER, the SCOTUS ruled that being a member of a militia had nothing to do with an individual's right to keep and bear arms:

Held:

1. The Second Amendment protects an individual right to possess a firearm unconnected with service in a militia, and to use that arm for traditionally lawful purposes, such as self-defense within the home. Pp. 2–53.

(a) The Amendment’s prefatory clause announces a purpose, but does not limit or expand the scope of the second part, the operative clause. The operative clause’s text and history demonstrate that it connotes an individual right to keep and bear arms. Pp. 2–22.

However, the SCOTUS also ruled that the right to keep and bear arms was not absolute and could be subject to reasonable restrictions:

2. Like most rights, the Second Amendment right is not unlimited. It is not a right to keep and carry any weapon whatsoever in any manner whatsoever and for whatever purpose:* For example, concealed weapons prohibitions have been upheld under the Amendment or state analogues. The Court’s opinion should not be taken to cast doubt on longstanding prohibitions on the possession of firearms by felons and the mentally ill, or laws forbidding the carrying of firearms in sensitive places such as schools and government buildings, or laws imposing conditions and qualifications on the commercial sale of arms. Miller’s holding that the sorts of weapons protected are those “in common use at the time” finds support in the historical tradition of prohibiting the carrying of dangerous and unusual weapons. Pp. 54–56.

DISTRICT OF COLUMBIA v. HELLER

Conclusion: The right to keep and bare arms is a personal right which has nothing to do with membership in, or the existence of, any militia; however this right is subject to reasonable restrictions (what is considered reasonable is ultimately a matter for the courts to decide).

I think normal people would be opposed to being in a situation where they are helpless with no one else able to protect them.

normal people don't live in obsessive fear.

your mindset is why most mass killings occur in red states.

Mass killings occur in red states? Really?

Columbine High School (Colorado - Blue State)
Aurora Theater (Colorado - Blue State)
Sandy Hook (Connecticut - Blue State)
Kent State (Ohio - Blue State)
Santa Barbara (California - Blue State)
Sikh Temple (Wisconsin - Blue State)
Minneapolis Manufacturer (Minnesota - Blue State)
Santa Monica (California - Blue State)
Naval Ship Yard (Washington - Blue State)
Damageplan Show (Ohio - Blue State)
Lottery Shooting (Connecticut - Blue State)
Wakefield (Massachusetts - Blue State)
A Guide to Mass Shootings in America | Mother Jones

pulseHAMMERmapFinal-20121107182209287401.jpg

Back to the drawing board for jillian. Sorry about that ... try again.

maybe the problem is giving a gun to people with certain backgrounds. i'd think you aren't giving him very good advice.

That's what I would do if I were him and lived on constant fear for my life.

Either that, or move to a better neighborhood.

That's what I would do if I were him and lived in fear for my life.

Either that or move to a better neighborhood.

Constant fear? Bad neighborhood?

How did you get that from my op?

Project much?

Convicted felon?

I'm not surprised.

Howey, come here, look in my eyes: STFU.

Don't post if you lower yourself to the stooges.

I personally think Gramps would be a great gun owner, but the law is the law.

Agreed Jake. And it says something about the limitations of law that GMU's a felon with a gun ban but he's got a healthier firearms attitude than any number of mass slayers who got their guns legally.

Of course, Gramps is at liberty to petition to have his civil rights restored, including his Second Amendment rights – but has opted not to do so; obviously this isn’t as much of an issue to him as he makes it out to be.

Howey, come here, look in my eyes: STFU.

Don't post if you lower yourself to the stooges.

I personally think Gramps would be a great gun owner, but the law is the law.

Agreed Jake. And it says something about the limitations of law that GMU's a felon with a gun ban but he's got a healthier firearms attitude than any number of mass slayers who got their guns legally.

Of course, Gramps is at liberty to petition to have his civil rights restored, including his Second Amendment rights – but has opted not to do so; obviously this isn’t as much of an issue to him as he makes it out to be.

I made it a big issue? Really? I thought I simply voiced an opinion.
Why is it that the house is always on fire with so many of you?

Hey Gramps,dont let the gov stop you from protecting yourself.
ARMSLIST - Firearms Classifieds

Hey Gramps,dont let the gov stop you from protecting yourself.
ARMSLIST - Firearms Classifieds

Great link. I'll save that one.

I think normal people would be opposed to being in a situation where they are helpless with no one else able to protect them.

Kent State? KENT STATE??

You have any idea what we're talking about here? Kent State?

Ohio's a "swing" state anyway...

Kent State? KENT STATE??

You have any idea what we're talking about here? Kent State?

Ohio's a "swing" state anyway...

Totally and absolutely missed the point. LOLOLOLOL :lol::lol::lol:

Your girlfriend, jillian, made the accusation that mass shootings only occur in red states. I just prove her wrong and all you can do is repeat "Kent State" over and over like a stuttering dummy? What's wrong with you?

Forum List

Back