I dont understand how someone becomes gay?

I've never heard of someone "becoming" gay but no culture encourages or discourages any sort of sexuality. You are what ever you were born.

Wong!

In ancient Sparta and Greece the culture was all about homosexual sex so they either all had the gay gene or it is culturally mediated.
Swanky and Swishy

Don't swallow the decadent propaganda preached by New Age sewage; spit it out. Greek Gayism was confined to the hereditary upper class, where it always originates.

Genetic(.) On top of these observations, studies in molecular genetics have shown that Xq28, a region located at the tip of the X chromosome, is involved in both the expression of anxiety and male androphilia. This work suggests that common genetic factors may underlie the expression of both. Twin studies additionally point to genetic explanations as the underlying force for same-sex partner preference in men and neuroticism, a personality trait that is comparable to anxiety.

Last edited:
Not all but the molestation thing happens e.g. Anderson Cooper, George Takai etc

Is it a matter of lifestyle choice/culture or biological? Whats with bisexuals or pansexuals?

Do you think our sexually "liberated" culture encourages bi and pansexuality?

YouGov | 1 in 2 young people say they are not 100% heterosexual
Instead of posing such a question to the forum, you might consider doing some research on human sexuality and the various social-psychological, genetic and biological theories and then share them with others.

Im not homobophobic I believe in "live and let live" so gays should live too and be free to express themselfes. But I would like to understand how someone becomes gay if its a lifestyle choice or biological etc. and what about bi and pansexuals and do you think our sexually "liberated" culture encourages bi and pansexuality? YouGov | 1 in 2 young people say they are not 100% heterosexual
You might just as well ask how someone becomes straight. It is not necessarily the default orientation. There is a theory that everyone is inherently bi-sexual.

Last edited:
Genetic(.) On top of these observations, studies in molecular genetics have shown that Xq28, a region located at the tip of the X chromosome, is involved in both the expression of anxiety and male androphilia. This work suggests that common genetic factors may underlie the expression of both. Twin studies additionally point to genetic explanations as the underlying force for same-sex partner preference in men and neuroticism, a personality trait that is comparable to anxiety.
"point to" and "may" are not statements of fact.

Just sos you know.

Is it a matter of lifestyle choice/culture or biological? Whats with bisexuals or pansexuals?

Instead of posing such a question to the forum, you might consider doing some research on human sexuality and the various social-psychological, genetic and biological theories and then share them with others.
The studies show that it's behavioral.

The studies show that it's behavioral.

What studies? What is meant by "behavioral"?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just sos you know.

Still more evidence being heterosexual, homosexual and bisexual are genetic than "Mommy was mean to me" or "No man in their lives".

Just sos you know.

Still more evidence being heterosexual, homosexual and bisexual are genetic than "Mommy was mean to me" or "No man in their lives".
No, not really.
Yes, Childhood Sexual Abuse Often Does Contribute to Homosexuality | The Stream

"What do Anderson Cooper, Don Lemon, George Takei and Milo Yiannopoulos have in common? They are all out and proud gay men, and they were all sexually abused as underage minors. Sadly, this is an extremely common occurrence, as there is frequently a connection between childhood sexual abuse and adult homosexuality."

" a 2009 report prepared for a bisexual health summit revealed that 74 percent of bisexuals had been sexually abused as children."

"“Information extracted from 13,000 face-to-face interviews clearly showed those with same-sexual or bisexual orientation were more likely to have experienced negative events in childhood, Associate Prof Elisabeth Wells said yesterday. People who had experienced sexual abuse as children were three times more likely to identity themselves as homosexual or bisexual than those who had not experienced abuse, she said. Also, the more adverse events someone experienced in childhood, the more likely they were to belong to one of the ‘non-exclusively heterosexual” groups. Associations between adverse events and sexuality group were found for sexual assault, rape, violence to the child and for witnessing violence in the home. "Does Abuse Contribute to the Development of 'Gay'/Same Sex Attraction? » BarbWire.com

Just sos you know.

No, not really.
Yes, Childhood Sexual Abuse Often Does Contribute to Homosexuality | The Stream

"What do Anderson Cooper, Don Lemon, George Takei and Milo Yiannopoulos have in common? They are all out and proud gay men, and they were all sexually abused as underage minors. Sadly, this is an extremely common occurrence, as there is frequently a connection between childhood sexual abuse and adult homosexuality."

" a 2009 report prepared for a bisexual health summit revealed that 74 percent of bisexuals had been sexually abused as children."

"“Information extracted from 13,000 face-to-face interviews clearly showed those with same-sexual or bisexual orientation were more likely to have experienced negative events in childhood, Associate Prof Elisabeth Wells said yesterday. People who had experienced sexual abuse as children were three times more likely to identity themselves as homosexual or bisexual than those who had not experienced abuse, she said. Also, the more adverse events someone experienced in childhood, the more likely they were to belong to one of the ‘non-exclusively heterosexual” groups. Associations between adverse events and sexuality group were found for sexual assault, rape, violence to the child and for witnessing violence in the home. "Does Abuse Contribute to the Development of 'Gay'/Same Sex Attraction? » BarbWire.com

A few observations about this article

Yes, Childhood Sexual Abuse Often Does Contribute to Homosexuality

1. It does not appear to be a scientific , empirical study using a control group that can be used to establish a statistically significant relationship between childhood sexual abuse and homosexuality

2. It is at best a survey and while it claims that there is a high correlation- it certainly does not prove causation.

3. Additionally, there is no information as to how the survey was conducted and why we should expect and accept that represents an accurate sample of a cross section of the population across all demographic, geographical lines, and many other factors

4. By the authors own admission , child sexual abuse " is (only) a contributing factor, yet scorns the idea that gays were "born that way" (More on this later)

5. By the authors own admission, there are social environmental factors that contribute to homosexuality, and then poses the question "Why deny such an obvious reality?" When in fact no one is denying that reality

6. The author compares the development of homosexuality to alcoholism but while acknowledging a genetic predisposition to the latter, avoids the mention of genetics in the case of homosexuality

7. The author states "that when it comes to homosexuality, it is taboo to connect childhood sexual abuse with subsequent gay identity since: 1) this would contradict the “born gay” myth. " However, he offers nothing to prove that any of the factors -including sexual abuse -that may contribute to homosexuality PRECLUDE the existence that there are underlying factors present at or before birth that set the stage for the development of homosexuality.

8. He also states that 2) it would underscore the fact that homosexual attractions are not natural and positive." but again ignores or worse, denies that fact that there may be innate factors involved. In addition, it ignores the fact that there are many gay people who did not suffer sexual abuse or other trauma in childhood and in no way proves that homosexuality is not "natural. But moreover, this passage clearly reveals his bias and the true motive behind so desperately wanting to show a connection between sexual abuse and homosexuality.

Let me be clear, I for one would not deny that there is such a connection if shown conclusive proof. But we as a society already recognize the harmful effects of sexual abuse, condemn it , and do all that we can to prevent it. So I ask, what is the point of pushing that issue if not to malign homosexuality as bad and unhealthy having been "induced" by a perverted sex act? There is none.

This was fun. I'll get into your other links sometime when I have nothing better to do.

What reason is that? I don't see how women liking older men and being gay are even remotely related.
Daddy issues

Where did you get your psychiatry degree? A cereal box?
It happens

People find psychiatry degrees in their cereal boxes?

Seriously though, there would be other reasons to want to date older men, such as they have their shit together (financially and otherwise), they aren't going to be playing video games 24/7 (hopefully), they would be a bit more mature (that's a BIG ?? though, obviously when you read some of the things the older men say on these types of venues :D)
Not always but yes. My ex was 10 years older but good lord what a child! Def did not have his shit together

And so what does that mean? You've had your experiences. Other people have had different experiences. I still don't see how someone has "daddy issues" because they are gay or like older people though. Maybe projection? ;)

Just sos you know.

I was just reading a response to one of my posts where a poster says that it is because of "daddy issues", and I believe you agreed with that post. "It happens" was what the post said. Lol. Obviously you felt that post was deserving of a "winner" rating even??? Odd to say the least given what you are claiming here.

Can we just admit that we don't know what causes it. Doctors and people who have studied it for years don't know. It could be any number of things or a combination of things. We don't know. There is nothing wrong with saying that.

Im not homobophobic I believe in "live and let live" so gays should live too and be free to express themselfes. But I would like to understand how someone becomes gay if its a lifestyle choice or biological etc. and what about bi and pansexuals and do you think our sexually "liberated" culture encourages bi and pansexuality? YouGov | 1 in 2 young people say they are not 100% heterosexual
You might just as well ask how someone becomes straight. It is not necessarily the default orientation. There is a theory that everyone is inherently bi-sexual.

That's doubtful. I'm certainly not sexually attracted to women. Does that mean a gay man CAN be happy with just women?

That's doubtful. I'm certainly not sexually attracted to women. Does that mean a gay man CAN be happy with just women?

Is that a serious question? Think about it.

Oh so everyone else is bisexual except gay men? Most people do not consider themselves bisexual and are clear about their sexuality and what they like.

I am sure that childhood sexual abuse could definitely play a role. If you are a young boy and you are molested by a man, then that is definitely going to fuck you up in a lot of different ways.

Oh so everyone else is bisexual except gay men? Most people do not consider themselves bisexual and are clear about their sexuality and what they like.
What on earth are you talking about. I did not say that everyone remains bi sexual now did I. ?? You are making shit up.

Forum List

Back