I disagree with Rubio's "olympic tax exemption"

Discussion in 'Clean Debate Zone' started by swizzlee, Aug 2, 2012.

1. Vidi

Vidi CDZ prohibited

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +343

Youre right. I didnt cite my sources. Mostly because it was all in my head already. Luckily, I was able to find some.

they get their 35% from Grover Norquists Americans for Tax Relief site, where you can find a better table for this info:

Americans for Tax Reform : Win Olympic Gold, Pay the IRS

Gold
    Medal Tax $236
    Prize Tax $8,750
    Total Tax Burden $8,986

Silver
    Medal Tax $135
    Prize Tax $5,250
    Total Tax Burden $5,385

Bronze
    Medal Tax $2
    Prize Tax $3,500
    Total Tax Burden $3,502

Of course Norquists hack job artists came back with a rebuttal ( youll find a link to it at the bottom of politifacts page ) that consists of MOST and MANYs as a reasonable argtument for this nonsense issue.

So do I agree with YOU?

well, I guess that would be a no, but not bevause youre wrong, but because I think youre making the wrong argument. I think youre falling into their trap and arguing over the subject they want you to argue about rather than the fact that this entire argument is political theatre used only to show what good guys these Republicans are by trying to remove the tax burden from these atheletes.

Its grandstanding for grandstandings sake.

The PROOF is that they arent screaming from the tops of their lungs that Romneys plan would RAISE taxes on anyone making less than $30,000 a year. THAT plan theyre all good with.

2. swizzlee

swizzlee RedWhiteAndBlue

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +124
    OK - good job, thank you......

But here's where I need to disagree with you.

I dismissed Norquist a long time ago as an extremist. He is a serious problem for moderate, reasonable Pubs just as Soros is for the moderate Dems. So I'm not familiar with his gruntings.....or with the rebuttals from wherever they came from.

My argument did not stem from any political ideology but simply from what I see as a stark, in-your-face fact. Our tax system is fucked! And Rubio appears to wish to add to it [for whatever reason - I don't really care].

My solution? FIX it. Don't add to this cluster.

Falling into "their" trap? Whose trap? You've lost me on that one. If applying cold, hard logic to what I see as an ongoing problem built brick by brick over decades of bi-partisan decisions is the definition of falling into a trap, may I suggest that perhaps about 51% of our voting population should fall into that same trap by USING THEIR HEADS once in a while instead of catering to blind party politics.

And, once again, your frequent use of "they" leaves me wondering who you're talking about.

This is not about politics at all and I don't care who's screaming or not screaming about whatever you think Romney's "plan" might be. He's not the focus of this debate.

The debate is simple - do you believe more exemptions should be added to our tax system or should we be attempting to simplify it?

3. Vidi

Vidi CDZ prohibited

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +343

If that is the parameters of the debate, then I say simplify do not complicate.

however, while YOU may dismiss Norquist, Rubio only brought this bill up because of the work of Norquist. Therefore he is far from irrelevent to the discussion.

BUT...because it is your thread and I do not wish to derail your thread I shall stay within your defined parameters of the debate.

4. swizzlee

swizzlee RedWhiteAndBlue

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +124
    Great! We agree.......!

Now if you want to debate why Rubio did or did not write this bill, I will also debate within your parameters.

Done deal!!

:clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2:

5. Vidi

Vidi CDZ prohibited

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +343

LOL

in that case...Rubio introduced this legislation for the reasons Ive already described...political theatre in an election year.

6. swizzlee

swizzlee RedWhiteAndBlue

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +124
    And I suspect you're right.

I don't know of any other reason for it.

See?? Wasn't that easy?

:-D

7. Vidi

Vidi CDZ prohibited

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +343

LOL I thought my original consent to your proposition was implied. My mistake :)

8. Politico

Politico Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,492
    Yes and when they get done filing their taxes they will get most of it back like anyone else.