If marriage is a religious institution...

Discussion in 'Clean Debate Zone' started by atlasshrugged, Aug 2, 2012.

1. atlasshrugged

atlasshrugged Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +21
    So, before I begin let me just say that I'm against gay marriage but I feel empathy for those LGBT who are caught in a difficult situation. I heard a Christian Preacher on a radio program discuss how marriage is a religious institution and should be defined by God rather than by government. It sparked an idea in my mind and I was curious to see how people from both sides of the issue would feel about it. Keep it civil.

What if we all agreed that marriage was under the jurisdiction of religions and civil unions (used for purposes of tax breaks, spousal rights in hospitals, etc) belonged to the government. In this way, both parties would have equal rights from the government while their religious beliefs would be protected. My religion wouldn't be forced to accept or perform gay marriages while yours would have the freedom to do so. What do you think? Would it work? I could see both parties wanting more, but compromise isn't always a bad thing.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  2. bodecea

bodecea Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +23,716
    #1. Does that "christian" preacher believe that all civil marriages done outside the church are not really marriages?

#2. The government never has forced churches to perform marriages they don't want to. Churches STILL turn back divorced, interracial, and interfaith couples while the government cannot.

3. atlasshrugged

atlasshrugged Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +21
    #1. No legislation would ever make most Christian preachers accept marriages they disagree with. So the point proposed was: Why not officially make that a personal belief rather than trying to legislate it?

#2. I don't believe government ever could force churches to perform marriages. But as it is right now, the state seems to be the authority on marriage. That is why churches are generally opposed to gay marriage. It's a sacred relationship to most churches and when the governing body over marriage changes the definition, they get upset.

4. syrenn

syrenn BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,404

And there in lays the problem. The religious do not have rights or jurisdiction to the word marriage.

How about we comprises and let the courts use the word marriage since the courts cover everyone....and the religious use the word civil union since there is nothing wrong with a marriage being called a civil union. It works out to be the same thing doesn't it?

Last edited: Aug 2, 2012
  5. sfcalifornia

sfcalifornia Silver Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +496
    When will religious institutions realize that the LGBT fight for marriage equality has NOTHING TO DO WITH RELIGION?

Certain religious institutions ALREADY perform same-sex marriage ceremonies. The fight is about the federal government recognizing those marriages and offering the same benefits to same-sex couples as
    they do hetero couples.

If a religious institution doesn't want to perform a same-sex marriage, THEY DON'T HAVE TO. And no law in the land will force them to. They need to butt out of this fight.

6. atlasshrugged

atlasshrugged Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +21
    But the courts fall under the constitution and the constitution doesn't give the federal government control of marriage. It gives the gov control of how to tax people, giving rise to a civil union. The religious don't have the right to limit others views of marriage, but they do have the right to their own view of marriage.

7. atlasshrugged

atlasshrugged Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Well, it has something to do with religion since it's usually religious institutions that oppose gay marriage. Most rational people agree that gay couples deserve the same tax breaks. The government has the right to tax people in any way that is best for the nation. So why doesn't the government cover civil unions and let churches (or non religious entities) cover marriage. This way, a gay couple could get the same rights from the government and have their union recognized as marriage from a religious affiliation.

8. syrenn

syrenn BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,404

The constitution doesn't give religious control over marriage either does it?

I don't care if the religious recognize my marriage.... i DO care of the government recognize my marriage which and zero to do with anything religious.

You must have a marriage license to be get married...that is a legal document approved by the government. It has always been called a marriage license...

9. syrenn

syrenn BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,404

Again... i am unaware that religious have exclusive rights to the word or concept of marriage.

10. saveliberty

saveliberty Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +20,166
    Your mixing terms already bodecea. Civil unions and/or marriage. I would want both, because I want my marriage recognized by God and the state. The state for the purposes of property rights and other government benefits granted to the spouse. By the church for the reason I already stated.