I Didn't Know That You Could Get Arrested For Shoplifting Without Leaving The Store

Road Runner

Take Back America In 2024 Vote Trump!
Jun 16, 2021
USA
Now that being said I definitely don't condone it or any of this behavior at all. You learn something new every day I guess though.

The WalMart scanners have cameras with some kind of AI that flags a worker if you if you do anything funny. For example, I had a damaged can that wouldn't scan, so I scanned another can of the same type, then put the damaged can in the bag, and the machine flagged that.

The WalMart scanners have cameras with some kind of AI that flags a worker if you if you do anything funny. For example, I had a damaged can that wouldn't scan, so I scanned another can of the same type, then put the damaged can in the bag, and the machine flagged that.

Well you should have either gotten a different can and or spoke with one of the workers about that. You should have done both actually.

Now that being said I definitely don't condone it or any of this behavior at all. You learn something new every day I guess though.

By scanning the article you check it out. by putting an unscanned article in your bag with scanned items, you are effectively stealing.

You scanned the non dented can and kept the dented can? :lol:
They dont call you leftists stupid for nothing.

You scanned the non dented can and kept the dented can? :lol:
They dont call you leftists stupid for nothing.

Oh I thought that they kept both cans at first but I guess that was giving them way too much credit. 🤣

By scanning the article you check it out. by putting an unscanned article in your bag with scanned items, you are effectively stealing.
I ran into a similar situation soon after Wally World implemented self scan. I bought three of the same item, but scanned one item three times. I just put the other two in my bag. I was pulled aside and had my receipt perused. That was the last time I used the self check. I am not going to do their job and then be called a thief.

I ran into a similar situation soon after Wally World implemented self scan. I bought three of the same item, but scanned one item three times. I just put the other two in my bag. I was pulled aside and had my receipt perused. That was the last time I used the self check. I am not going to do their job and then be called a thief.
You can't even do what you did if you are cashier. You have to scan every item individually. Seriously, a cashier does that and is observed by management they are getting written up. It leads to laziness and short cuts. Often times, it is not the same item, even if it appears to be. And even if it is the same price, it could be a different variety or even the same item with a different UPC,

You ever been to a Walmart shopping for cat food? One variety of the same brand might be crammed full and another variety is dead empty. The reason, lazy ass cashiers, scanning the crammed full variety multiple times and failing to scan the empty variety, which is why it is empty--the perpetual inventory believes the item is still on the shelf. And believes the full variety is gone so it reorders.

Last edited:
Thi

You can't even do what you did if you are cashier. You have to scan every item individually. Seriously, a cashier does that
That's their job. I am smart enough to realize when I buy three of the exact same item. It's a moot discussion. They get to do their job as they should. I notice our Walmart is removing many and installing manned check stands.

You can't even do what you did if you are cashier. You have to scan every item individually. Seriously, a cashier does that and is observed by management they are getting written up. It leads to laziness and short cuts. Often times, it is not the same item, even if it appears to be. And even if it is the same price, it could be a different variety or even the same item with a different UPC,

You ever been to a Walmart shopping for cat food? One variety of the same brand might be crammed full and another variety is dead empty. The reason, lazy ass cashiers, scanning the crammed full variety multiple times and failing to scan the empty variety, which is why it is empty--the perpetual inventory believes the item is still on the shelf. And believes the full variety is gone so it reorders.
I pay attention to what I purchase. I am fully aware of SKUs and can differentiate between one item and another. My receipt was 100% correct. I am not going to be falsely accused because there are a few dumb asses out there that can't find their asses with both hands.

The entire fiasco was easily avoidable. Looks to me like you have an overzealous loss prevention associate. Policy is really simple--the camara records the skip scan, logs it, saves it to a hard drive, and matches it with the method of payment. The cashier smiles and tells the thief to have a nice day as they walk out the door.

Thieves are creatures of habit. Thinking they got away with, they are coming back and doing it again. Once again, the camara records the skip scan, logs it, saves it to a hard drive, and matches it with the payment method, probably the same method as before. That will continue to happen until the total of all the theft exceeds the threshold and attains the status of a felony. Then Walmart notifies law enforcement and they show up at your house with an arrest warrant.

You CAN be arrested before you leave the store, as a general proposition. If you conceal the item in a manner that would indicate you intend to steal it, you can be arrested. But cops and store security don't like to mess with those cases, so they wait until you leave the store.

I had a security guy at my store in Clarksburg, WV who was so good that most of the people he caught were thanking him by the time they left (for not pursuing more serious punishments). He got them to PAY FOR the stuff they stole! And they were still charged.

I pay attention to what I purchase. I am fully aware of SKUs and can differentiate between one item and another. My receipt was 100% correct. I am not going to be falsely accused because there are a few dumb asses out there that can't find their asses with both hands.
You think you can, but I doubt you are actually looking at the UPC's. For instance, frozen shrimp, the UPC's for the same product change all the time because, although the package might be the same, the packer is different. So, you got three packages of frozen shrimp, one with an old UPC and two with the new UPC. You scan the old one three times. That happens just a couple of times the old item is going to have a NBOH, negative balance of on-hands. That kicks it out of the perpetual inventory system. The new UPC, since it was not scanned, the perpetual inventory system thinks it is still on the shelf and doesn't reorder it. Next week, when you show up at Walmart to buy more shrimp, it is empty. You get really pissed, but hell, it was your fault.

But cops and store security don't like to mess with those cases, so they wait until you leave the store.
Target and many other large national retailers have a policy that prohibits any associate from confronting a suspected shoplifter. Target policy is for the associate to follow the thief to the parking lot at a safe distance and note the license number of their vehicle to be turned into LE. A large grocery concern here fired an employee that confronted a shoplifter. It was reported widely on our local news for a short news cycle.

Target and many other large national retailers have a policy that prohibits any associate from confronting a suspected shoplifter. Target policy is for the associate to follow the thief to the parking lot at a safe distance and note the license number of their vehicle to be turned into LE. A large grocery concern here fired an employee that confronted a shoplifter. It was reported widely on our local news for a short news cycle.
Depending on jurisdiction, it is also pointless to report a shoplifter to law enforcement since many public prosecutors are too busy being as sole as Soros demands.

They won’t prosecute shoplifting.

You think you can, but I doubt you are actually looking at the UPC's. For instance, frozen shrimp, the UPC's for the same product change all the time because, although the package might be the same, the packer is different. So, you got three packages of frozen shrimp, one with an old UPC and two with the new UPC. You scan the old one three times. That happens just a couple of times the old item is going to have a NBOH, negative balance of on-hands. That kicks it out of the perpetual inventory system. The new UPC, since it was not scanned, the perpetual inventory system thinks it is still on the shelf and doesn't reorder it. Next week, when you show up at Walmart to buy more shrimp, it is empty. You get really pissed, but hell, it was your fault.
I told you in a previous post that I am aware of SKUs. I also told you, they were found to be falsely accusing me and that I let them do their jobs since. Apparently you don't pay too close attention to what you read--probably because you are trying to think up your next retort. I can assure you that I KNOW I can tell the difference between products. I worked for a manufacturer that produced over six hundred different types of the same product for over thirty years. Your hypotheticals are irrelevant.

Forum List

Back