I DID it!

Haven't had a landline or cable for years. Don't miss them at all. Kind of sucks if the internet goes out but that is rare and brief. I usually just go outside and play or read more when that happens.

I still have my land line too. Lol. :lol: It's included with my cable bundle. Cable, internet and phone.

That's not really a landline then -- it's a VOIP. That means if your internet goes down (or your modem/equipment), then you have no phone.

I would have a landline if I could. I can, but the company that took over Verizon's territory (Frontier) is woefully incompetent. The internet (cable) company offers phone, which I once had, but they got ridiculously expensive.

Friend of mine in the same position got a Magic Jack, and it works for her. Doesn't work for me. It's forever dropping itself offline, and I don't even know unless I happen to pick up the phone to make a call.

I've had good results from Google Phone in the past, might go back to that. But it only works for outgoing.

What works for you and what doesn't?

I came to the realistion several years ago that anything I wanted to watch was available on the Innerwebs, with the exception of live sports, which I would still have to pay for with TV.

So the grand total of what didn't work out in cutting the rabbit ears would have to be expressed as Zero.
You can now stream ESPN which is owned by ABC..

I meant real sports, not ESPN --- which seems blissfully unaware of any sport that doesn't involve the letters "NFL"....

Actually in the last year I've gotten most of that from satellite radio, or when the ionospheric timing is right, good ol' terrestrial.

I love the NFL. So exciting! :D

I still have my land line too. Lol. :lol: It's included with my cable bundle. Cable, internet and phone.

That's not really a landline then -- it's a VOIP. That means if your internet goes down (or your modem/equipment), then you have no phone.

I would have a landline if I could. I can, but the company that took over Verizon's territory (Frontier) is woefully incompetent. The internet (cable) company offers phone, which I once had, but they got ridiculously expensive.

Friend of mine in the same position got a Magic Jack, and it works for her. Doesn't work for me. It's forever dropping itself offline, and I don't even know unless I happen to pick up the phone to make a call.

I've had good results from Google Phone in the past, might go back to that. But it only works for outgoing.

Okay, well whatever it is. I'm not a very "techy" kind of person. ;)

ChrisL has a hard time trying to get rid of her 8 Track.

I will admit Chris is not the only one. Don't know what or how to start? At one time I was cell phone only (1999) but then bundle deal came along when I moved. I even have one "SMART" TV but I too DUMB to use it? I don't want to type credit card numbers and passwords into 900 sites?

I watched NCAA BBall Live all weekend burning up remote. I got a feeling that would cost me with the "new" way.

note: I never use landline. It is an answer machine. I delete 99% at first sound. I give that number to crap business. I don't give cell to any. I don't even have much Electronic Bank yet?

yes I am a Dinasour. I have been called an old Analog TV guy.

ChrisL has a hard time trying to get rid of her 8 Track.

I will admit Chris is not the only one. Don't know what or how to start? At one time I was cell phone only (1999) but then bundle deal came along when I moved. I even have one "SMART" TV but I too DUMB to use it? I don't want to type credit card numbers and passwords into 900 sites?

I watched NCAA BBall Live all weekend burning up remote. I got a feeling that would cost me with the "new" way.

note: I never use landline. It is an answer machine. I delete 99% at first sound. I give that number to crap business. I don't give cell to any. I don't even have much Electronic Bank yet?

yes I am a Dinasour. I have been called an old Analog TV guy.

I prefer to use my home phone rather than my cellphone when I'm making important calls. It's much more reliable.

Dang. Is it a rotary dial with a 6 foot cord for the handset?

My grandfather actually had one of those rotary phones. Lol. Nope, I am with the times with my cordless phone. :p
A rotary phone was a modern marvel when I was a kid. Before we got a rotary around 1952, our phone was on a box on the wall with a horn you talked into and an earpiece that looked like a salt shaker and there was a crank to ring the operator. Our phone number was J-15. There were 8 people on a party line and everyone had a different ring. Ours was a long and 2 short rings. The operator would call your house if your alarm clock didn't work in the morning.

magneto_phone.jpg

Then we got a new rotary phone.

old-telephone.jpg

My grandfather actually had one of those rotary phones. Lol. Nope, I am with the times with my cordless phone. :p
A rotary phone was a modern marvel when I was a kid. Before we got a rotary around 1952, our phone was on a box on the wall with a horn you talked into and an earpiece that looked like a salt shaker and there was a crank to ring the operator. Our phone number was J-15. There were 8 people on a party line and everyone had a different ring. Ours was a long and 2 short rings. The operator would call your house if your alarm clock didn't work in the morning.

magneto_phone.jpg

old-telephone.jpg

Really? :dunno: Hard to tell with you if you're being serious sometimes. :p

magneto_phone.jpg

old-telephone.jpg

Really? :dunno: Hard to tell with you if you're being serious sometimes. :p
I told the truth this time.
Additionally both phones were on party lines and our new number was 43026. Still 1 long and 2 short rings and being on a party line , anyone could listen in so you didn't give the old biddy gossips any red meat.

magneto_phone.jpg

old-telephone.jpg
I actually like those phones. My grandparents left it on the wall after getting a modern phone. Always thought it was cool. They look like a nice piece of furniture or wall art instead of a communication tool or device. Similar to the old televisions and stereos with wood frames.

Forum List

Back