I despair for my country...........

LimeyLucy

Rookie
Aug 5, 2015
Got out of bed with a spring in my step this morning, (believe me that in itself is an achievement !) made myself a cuppa and then sat down to read the paper headlines. Good grief, I rather wish I hadn't bothered. The news is just non-stop depressing...... here with just a taster:

Front page headline.....POLICE WILL NOT PROBE BREAK-IN'S AT HOMES WITH ODD NUMBER.

apparently if you are unlucky enough to live in an odd numbered house it is now a case of Tough - you lose, we ain't even going to come out and take fingerprints and forensics. FORGET IT !

The above headline after just one week ago, Sara Thornton, the Head of Chief Constables (believe they equivalent to your Chiefs of Police?) sparked outrage by saying that because of budget cuts, burglery victims should no longer expect the police to turn up !

Hey ho, that's just the front page.. lets try page 2 and 3 ........

Page 2.......HEDGE FUNDS "POCKETED £10M" AFTER TREASURY'S ROYAL BANK OF SCOTLAND'S PLANS WERE LEAKED.......nothing new there then

Page 3......... a whole page dedicated to a cookery programme and it's politically correctly chosen participating bakers

Page 4.....BRITISH ANARCHISTS ARE INCITING CALAIS UNREST, SAY FRENCH
and NOW MIGRANTS TARGET FERRIES TO UK

page 5 CILLA WASN'T DISCOVERED FOR FIVE HOURS AFTER FALL.

by this time, my cuppa is beginning to go lukewarm, the sky looks leaden and I am definitely feeling worse than when I woke up.

page 6 PRIME MINISTER (otherwise known to us all here as Call-me-Dave) WANTS PEERAGE FOR BANKER WHO GAVE THE TORIES £2.5M AND OFFERED A WEEK ON HIS ISLAND FOR PARTY'S AUCTION....

What's new about that, Call me Dave and Tony Bliar are renowned for rewarding their cronies

page 7...... don't worry, not too many more before I cut my throat.......
COUPLES HAVING LESS SEX ....FOR FEAR IT'LL BE A LET-DOWN !

Not while I am drinking my tea ...Pleeeeeeease !!

page 8 PM (Here we go again with Call me Dave)
PRIME MINISTER "MESMERISED" BY CHARITY THAT ATE UP 37M IN PUBLIC CASH !
(Charity closed it's doors - Kid's Company - last night)

page 9 She says with drooping eyelids....... put the paper down, put the paper down, where is this voice coming from ?
NOW US DENIES SICK BRITON IN GUANTANAMO A MEDICAL TEST...They claim it would be too difficult.

oops, that one is very controversial as well as another bloody depressing story..

last one .. page 10.... I can't bear any more bad news... I have now given up the will to live...

NEW PROBE INTO TED HEATH SEX CLAIMS WILL GO NATIONWIDE !

That's definitely enough !!, I'm off back to bed !

In many places here in the states the cops don't show up for theft. It's handled on the pnone, there usually isn't much they can do anyway.

I quit reading the paper awhile back. Makes for a healthier outlook. I don't feel like hitting the bottle first thing in the morning. :biggrin:

In many places here in the states the cops don't show up for theft. It's handled on the pnone, there usually isn't much they can do anyway.

While true,I've seen to many cases where people have actual hard evidence yet the cops dont want to deal with it.
Obviously we're not talking serious crimes but crimes non the less.

Someone stole the wife and I's back up cell phone we keep around in case one of us loses our phone.
Well we never check our bill we just pay it,so imagine our surprise when we found out some asshole had been using the damn phone for a year.
Anyway,we now have a long list of phone numbers this guy has called and all the cops had to do was go visit these people and you know one of them would talk.
They said they couldnt do anything.
The thing is? The phone was stolen from my home...
Yet they didnt think someone being in my house without my knowledge was important.

While true,I've seen to many cases where people have actual hard evidence yet the cops dont want to deal with it.

Someone stole the wife and I's back up cell phone we keep around in case one of us loses our phone.
Well we never check our bill we just pay it,so imagine our surprise when we found out some asshole had been using the damn phone for a year.
Anyway,we now have a long list of phone numbers this guy has called and all the cops had to do was go visit these people and you know one of them would talk.
Yet they didnt think someone being in my house without my knowledge was important.
The thing is they have to rely on evidence to have a case. They know what will likely be thrown out. He could say he found your phone and if they are going to put man hours tracking down a criminal I imagine there are much bigger fish to fry.

Entering someone's home and stealing services for a year should be enough, in my opinion.

Recently we had a brand new iphone car charger, still in its package, stolen from our car. We made the mistake of leaving a window partially down. I called it in to non emergency line, just to let them know there was theft going on in the area, not to have an officer come out. She said they needed to send him, no matter how small to keep a record of what is happening in the area, etc. The officer got upset about being sent out. Well, a week later a detective called, underscored the need to have them come out as just one small detail could help them to identify and solve other crimes in the area. So, even though an officer might find it unimportant, it could lead to information that could help solve even bigger crimes.

The thing is they have to rely on evidence to have a case. They know what will likely be thrown out. He could say he found your phone and if they are going to put man hours tracking down a criminal I imagine there are much bigger fish to fry.

How do you know the cop was upset? Like I said, it depends on what else is going on, there isn't an unlimited amount of resources and the city burns up money on more important things, like bus graphics.

I would take the paper ... If they drove out here in the sticks to deliver it ... And if I had a bird cage that needed lining.

Paper sounds depressing, but you still have that big clock over there, and you can go see where the Beatles walked across that road without an eight hour flight. Sounds pretty sweet to me.

Light up a bong, it may alter your mood for the better
simpsons-bongs.jpg

I read the paper every morning as well,and get the same feelings of disgust... Although mine is caused by the flat out lies I find in it.

Oh yeah...Screw you Houston Chronicle!!!

Q. How do they separate the men from the boys in Texas?
A. With a restraining order.

I could read him. I apologized, let him know I hadn't asked for anyone and told him what the dispatcher had said. His words "she told you that?" It was more than obvious he didn't want to be there. And we do live in an area where most of the crime is the occasional shoplifter at our only grocery store. Some vandalism type things, but for the most part no major ongoing crime. We have had streaks where a few from outside our semi rural area decide to come in and hit unlocked cars, open garages, etc, but they usually catch them within a few weeks. So, it's not like they stay busy out here.
How do you know the cop was upset? Like I said, it depends on what else is going on, there isn't an unlimited amount of resources and the city burns up money on more important things, like bus graphics.

Last edited:
Got out of bed with a spring in my step this morning, (believe me that in itself is an achievement !) made myself a cuppa and then sat down to read the paper headlines. Good grief, I rather wish I hadn't bothered. The news is just non-stop depressing...... here with just a taster:

Front page headline.....POLICE WILL NOT PROBE BREAK-IN'S AT HOMES WITH ODD NUMBER.

apparently if you are unlucky enough to live in an odd numbered house it is now a case of Tough - you lose, we ain't even going to come out and take fingerprints and forensics. FORGET IT !

The above headline after just one week ago, Sara Thornton, the Head of Chief Constables (believe they equivalent to your Chiefs of Police?) sparked outrage by saying that because of budget cuts, burglery victims should no longer expect the police to turn up !

Page 2.......HEDGE FUNDS "POCKETED £10M" AFTER TREASURY'S ROYAL BANK OF SCOTLAND'S PLANS WERE LEAKED.......nothing new there then

Page 3......... a whole page dedicated to a cookery programme and it's politically correctly chosen participating bakers

by this time, my cuppa is beginning to go lukewarm, the sky looks leaden and I am definitely feeling worse than when I woke up.

page 6 PRIME MINISTER (otherwise known to us all here as Call-me-Dave) WANTS PEERAGE FOR BANKER WHO GAVE THE TORIES £2.5M AND OFFERED A WEEK ON HIS ISLAND FOR PARTY'S AUCTION....

What's new about that, Call me Dave and Tony Bliar are renowned for rewarding their cronies

page 9 She says with drooping eyelids....... put the paper down, put the paper down, where is this voice coming from ?
NOW US DENIES SICK BRITON IN GUANTANAMO A MEDICAL TEST...They claim it would be too difficult.

oops, that one is very controversial as well as another bloody depressing story..

last one .. page 10.... I can't bear any more bad news... I have now given up the will to live...

We hear the same idiocy from the right here in the U.S.

Oh bloody 'ell, better off it...

Forum List

Back