i can see this turning ugly

PS, I'm working on my Human SErvices Management degree...my best friend has a degree in psychology.

I have yet to see any fucking agreement where we are required to state we'll believe a certain way, and put aside our Christian beliefs.

And someone needs to smack whomever thinks Christians should be excluded from schools and degree programs based upon their religion need to admit they're fucking Nazi sympathizers, bigots, and deserve to have the shit knocked out of them. Regularly.

you need to stop with the victim card, no one is excluding christians

Can you prove that? Can you prove that the school graduates Christians and does not "re-educate" them into their "world view"?

I think based on the articles about this instance you are going to be hard pressed to do so.

Immie

Then since they want to impose their unwarranted beliefs on what a school counselor should believe, they should refund every dime she has had to pay including tuition, book and student fees to her and let her continue her education at a school that does not impose its irreligious and liberal point of view on students.

Immie
She understood the requirements of graduation before she signed up, and clearly understood that her beliefs contradicted the goals of her profession through arguments with the professors. She signed contracts where she understood the very strict circumstances in which she could obtain a refund, circumstances which have long since passed.

yes thats why all of this odd and seems to me like she eventually wanted to cause problems. she knew she was going to a secular school where her religious beliefes who be at odds with the guidelines there and she spent years there anyway.

I am a bit torn though on denying students who pass all the courses, although she shouldn't be licensed unless her views on gays changes or she is licensed but not allowed to counsel gays etc

PROVE THAT WHAT YOU SAY ARE ACTUALLY THE REQUIREMENTS OF GRADUATION.

Because I promise you, they are not.

As long as she does the coursework and gets passing grades they have no right to penalize her.

She has a great career ahead of her "fixing" teh gay.

except that fixing the gay as you imply is against the code of conduct
Is it? Is it a requirement of the program that you accept homosexuality?

It's a requirement of the American Counseling Association's Code of Ethics.

So, sort of.

Should a medical school give a degree and license to someone who only believes in faith healing?

if they follow the syllabus, pass the course, and pas the boards why not? and ps,, the school doesn't give a degree, it is earned and they surely don't give a license. that's a function of a state.

there is ethics guidelines for every degree I know of though. I had to take a computer science one and every school/degree I saw had an equivalent course

As long as she does the coursework and gets passing grades they have no right to penalize her.

She has a great career ahead of her "fixing" teh gay.

except that fixing the gay as you imply is against the code of conduct
Is it? Is it a requirement of the program that you accept homosexuality?

you don't have to accept it openly or w/e but you can't tell your patient who is gay that its wrong and that they need to "fix" their lifestyle

Should a medical school give a degree and license to someone who only believes in faith healing?

if they follow the syllabus, pass the course, and pas the boards why not? and ps,, the school doesn't give a degree, it is earned and they surely don't give a license. that's a function of a state.

there is ethics guidelines for every degree I know of though. I had to take a computer science one and every school/degree I saw had an equivalent course

There are no ethics guidelines associated with any degree in the US that requires that you must publicly support homosexuality and admit that it is a hardwired trait.

That's just fucking ludicrous. Who the hell ARE you people? Please return to your rock until you're ripe.

Agreed. But here is the problem i have with all of this. If you pass the curriculum, regardless of beliefs, what shouldn't you graduate?

Regardless of her beliefs that does not mean she can not demonstrate the ability to counsel homosexuals. I would assume that she would just choose not to counsel them.

Telling an already emotionally-troubled homosexual "Your orientation is a choice, choosing to be straight will stop this pain" when he has likely suffered for years trying to make himself straight, might make him suicidal.

I know many who were put through hell by parents who believed just that.

I don't see anywhere that she says she would not or could not counsel LGBT.

In fact, this story says quite the opposite:
See my above statement...the school does not want her making already troubled homosexuals suicidal.

tens (maybe hundreds now) of kids have committed suicide rather than tell their ultra religious parents they are gay

PS, I'm working on my Human SErvices Management degree...my best friend has a degree in psychology.

I have yet to see any fucking agreement where we are required to state we'll believe a certain way, and put aside our Christian beliefs.

And someone needs to smack whomever thinks Christians should be excluded from schools and degree programs based upon their religion need to admit they're fucking Nazi sympathizers, bigots, and deserve to have the shit knocked out of them. Regularly.

you need to stop with the victim card, no one is excluding christians

Can you prove that? Can you prove that the school graduates Christians and does not "re-educate" them into their "world view"?

I think based on the articles about this instance you are going to be hard pressed to do so.

Immie

I am going it solely based on the article. The girl in question beliefs do not align with all christians, especially the part about gay being a choice. many christians could go to that school and easily go along with what the school believes. nothing they believe is that controversial really

Since faith healing is not medicine no, and that is not what this case is about.

She has nearly completed her Master's Degree and now, since they don't like her political point of view, they want to re-educate her. That is wrong.

I don't agree with her point of view, but neither do I believe that some self-aggrandized liberal nuts have the right to forcibly coerce people over to their point of view especially after having sucked boo-coo bucks out of her bank account and then tell her, "we're sorry, but, we don't like what you think so we are not going to let you graduate until you succumb to our way of thinking."

Immie

okay I will state this and if you get my point and just don't agree then that is okay and we can leave at that......

she doesn't agree with the school's guidelines related to counseling homosexuals. The school has strict standards in this area. if they graduate her knowing that she doesn't follow their guidelines they are putting the school's reputation at risk as well as graduating a person who will knowingly be breaking her ethics and agreed to guidelines every time she counsels a homosexual. how is allowing this to happen a good thing?

I don't agree with you that she would not or could not counsel homosexuals. According to this report, she only spoke her point of view. She did not denigrate anyone.

Change views on Christianity or get out - Augusta State Univ. tells student

Keeton, 24, is pursuing her master’s degree in counseling at Augusta State. After her professors learned of her biblical beliefs, specifically her views on homosexual conduct, from both classroom discussions and private conversations with other students, the school imposed the re-education plan. Keeton never denigrated anyone in communicating her beliefs but merely stated factually what they were in appropriate contexts.

If she can do her job as a counselor despite her beliefs, she would be hired. If she can't than I don't see her making it in this profession.

It is not up to the school to change her beliefs. It is up to the school to teach her counseling techniques and theory. In the long run, her employers will decide whether or not she is competent enough to be a school counselor.

Immie

PS: You are right... this is going to turn ugly. :lol:

Go Ms Keeton! Kick their A**

And blu's a liar.

Prove that her degree can only be awarded if she foreswears her beliefs and embraces homosexuality as something that is hardwired.

Since faith healing is not medicine no, and that is not what this case is about.

She has nearly completed her Master's Degree and now, since they don't like her political point of view, they want to re-educate her. That is wrong.

I don't agree with her point of view, but neither do I believe that some self-aggrandized liberal nuts have the right to forcibly coerce people over to their point of view especially after having sucked boo-coo bucks out of her bank account and then tell her, "we're sorry, but, we don't like what you think so we are not going to let you graduate until you succumb to our way of thinking."

Immie

okay I will state this and if you get my point and just don't agree then that is okay and we can leave at that......

she doesn't agree with the school's guidelines related to counseling homosexuals. The school has strict standards in this area. if they graduate her knowing that she doesn't follow their guidelines they are putting the school's reputation at risk as well as graduating a person who will knowingly be breaking her ethics and agreed to guidelines every time she counsels a homosexual. how is allowing this to happen a good thing?

I don't agree with you that she would not or could not counsel homosexuals. According to this report, she only spoke her point of view. She did not denigrate anyone.

Change views on Christianity or get out - Augusta State Univ. tells student

Keeton, 24, is pursuing her master’s degree in counseling at Augusta State. After her professors learned of her biblical beliefs, specifically her views on homosexual conduct, from both classroom discussions and private conversations with other students, the school imposed the re-education plan. Keeton never denigrated anyone in communicating her beliefs but merely stated factually what they were in appropriate contexts.

If she can do her job as a counselor despite her beliefs, she would be hired. If she can't than I don't see her making it in this profession.

It is not up to the school to change her beliefs. It is up to the school to teach her counseling techniques and theory. In the long run, her employers will decide whether or not she is competent enough to be a school counselor.

Immie

PS: You are right... this is going to turn ugly. :lol:

Go Ms Keeton! Kick their A**

It wouldn't turn ugly if fascists weren't rooting around at the moment.

Splatter, you don't know what the hell you're talking about.

You cannot prevent someone from getting a degree BASED ON THEIR RELIGION. There are lots of fucking counselors who are Christians.

And ps. There is no science involved in that degree.

Its not about her religion, its about the refusal to accept the facts.

She needs to know just like you can not get a degree in Anthropology if you insist the world was made in 7 days , you can not have a couseling degree if you are going to insist being gay is a crime. Its against the sceince of the field.

Strange, I have several college handbooks in front of me right now, two kids in the house starting college next month, and I'm looking through the degree requirements for several fields and I don't see ANYWHERE where it says you can't be a Christian if you're an anthropologist, or that you can't be a counselor if you think pushing poo is a crime.

yes thats why all of this odd and seems to me like she eventually wanted to cause problems. she knew she was going to a secular school where her religious beliefes who be at odds with the guidelines there and she spent years there anyway.
Exactly. I know plenty of people who got degrees, despite their contrarian beliefs, by simply keeping their mouths shut. They get their degrees, go on with their lives, and everyone is happy.

This woman was being a real-life troll, repeatedly making big scenes, and so the admins banned her. Now she's suing them, rather like PI.

Exactly. I know plenty of people who got degrees, despite their contrarian beliefs, by simply keeping their mouths shut. They get their degrees, go on with their lives, and everyone is happy.

This woman was being a real-life troll, repeatedly making big scenes, and so the admins banned her. Now she's suing them, rather like PI.

You mean like queers sue organizations like the BSA and cock suckers want to openly serve in the military? Sorta like that?

Good for the goose, good for the gander says I. Fuck them.

• Thanks
Reactions: blu
Strange, I have several college handbooks in front of me right now, two kids in the house starting college next month, and I'm looking through the degree requirements for several fields and I don't see ANYWHERE where it says you can't be a Christian if you're an anthropologist, or that you can't be a counselor if you think pushing poo is a crime.
Undergraduate and graduate programs are very different...the woman in question is training to be a licensed professional.

Undergraduate and graduate programs are very different...the woman in question is training to be a licensed professional.

Hey ace, the college handbook I am looking at includes both undergrad and grad degree requirements.

Forum List

Back