i can see this turning ugly

Has she given any indication that she can't treat them with respect even if she disapproves of their lifestyle? I am a public school teacher. I teach criminals and kids who smell. Just because I don't approve of their choices outside of school, doesn't mean I can't treat them with respect.
It means that homosexual students would not be able to turn to her for appropriate help...thus she cannot perform her job.

This bias of this school is that gay kids need special handling. That is no less prejudiced than her own beliefs. Gay kids don't run into the counselors office talking about butt sex. Straight kids don't either. They are just kids!
But they may run in and say "I was beat up because I kissed Billy."

And they they commit suicide.

Last edited:
Has she given any indication that she can't treat them with respect even if she disapproves of their lifestyle? I am a public school teacher. I teach criminals and kids who smell. Just because I don't approve of their choices outside of school, doesn't mean I can't treat them with respect.

This bias of this school is that gay kids need special handling. That is no less prejudiced than her own beliefs. Gay kids don't run into the counselors office talking about butt sex. Straight kids don't either. They are just kids!

Enough already.

but many do come in when they are in the "confused" state and thats when they are most vulnerable and thats when this women would be encountering them

the student knew it was a secular school and that christian schools exist with counseling programs. why would she set her self up for failure ?

Because she had no idea that a liberal secular school could be so intolerant.

Immie

Or because she thought freedom of religion applied to Christians to. The stupid bitch. :cuckoo:

her treatment would have happened no matter her religion

Splatter, you don't know what the hell you're talking about.

You cannot prevent someone from getting a degree BASED ON THEIR RELIGION. There are lots of fucking counselors who are Christians.

And ps. There is no science involved in that degree.

Its not about her religion, its about the refusal to accept the facts.

She needs to know just like you can not get a degree in Anthropology if you insist the world was made in 7 days , you can not have a couseling degree if you are going to insist being gay is a crime. Its against the sceince of the field.

Um I was going to stay out of this but, WTF are you talking about. Against the Science of the Field? How, what science? There is science that proves beyond a shadow of any doubt that Being gay is not an offense to any god eh. Man those scientist are getting good.

Who ever said there is no science to this field, was dead on. It is all opinion and speculation. The only real science pertains to understanding behavioral Patterns, not whether or not it is cool with god to be gay.

I have not even read into this that much. I assume this woman is somehow making it known that not only does she believe in core Christian Ideas, but that she is unable or unwilling to put them aside when offering advice to people? Or are they actually basing this solely on that fact she is a christian?

this, it has nothing to do with her particular religion

You will have to prove that. I do not agree.
Legally, you are required to sign a contract to enroll. If she signed without reading it, she is still legally bound by it.

I didn't "know" what beliefs I was expected to have when I graduated at the time I enrolled at my school. I highly doubt she did either.
Then your school did not have a code of ethics? Mine did, and they were quite clear about the consequences of violations.

I've seen professors fired for violations, with no press coverage whatsoever.

Granted, this is a state school so the paradigm isn't quite apt. But imagine a student at Liberty University who is majoring in Theology. In her final exams, this student manages to express her belief that the notion of the Rapture is incorrect and not to be taken seriously as it is the mis-reading of Holy Scripture. If the official doctrine of the Liberty University School of Theology said that the Rapture is not only a very real event but the inevitable end of mortal life on earth, should that student be awarded a degree for holding contrary views?

If her course work was satisfactory, should she be required to 'rethink' her position and accept the school's official stance?

I thought that the university experience was to open ones mind to other possibilities.

That is exactly how I see it.

Whether or not she will be a qualified counselor is not up to the school. It is their job to give instruction in Psychology; to teach her the book work, not to indoctrinate her.

If she can't make it as a school counselor later, then that is not their problem, but it is not up to them to hinder her from doing so.

Oh, and regarding Liberty University, they should graduate that student... with honors. Universities should be teaching students to think for themselves not think what the professors want them to think.

Immie

Where does it say she would be counseling adults?

Jennifer Keeton, 24, has been enrolled in the College of Education's School Counselor masters degree program since fall 2009.

ASU faculty has ordered her to undergo a remediation plan, which would include diversity sensitivity workshops, she says.

Professors also suggested that she attend Augusta's Gay Pride Parade last month, Keeton told her attorneys. As a part of the plan, she would report back once a month to faculty to determine whether the activities have an impact on her convictions.

Christian student sues ASU | The Augusta Chronicle

Spinning your wheels. Once again we have a story of no one caring about kids except as weapons to push their own agendas.
Weren't you the one who would beat his gay kid straight?

I doubt it. Actually a little research around the board will confirm that I am pro allowing gays to marry and pro allowing them to openly serve. I just oppose those gays who feel they must push their gayness into my face.

Where does it say she would be counseling adults?

Jennifer Keeton, 24, has been enrolled in the College of Education's School Counselor masters degree program since fall 2009.

ASU faculty has ordered her to undergo a remediation plan, which would include diversity sensitivity workshops, she says.

Professors also suggested that she attend Augusta's Gay Pride Parade last month, Keeton told her attorneys. As a part of the plan, she would report back once a month to faculty to determine whether the activities have an impact on her convictions.

Christian student sues ASU | The Augusta Chronicle
My mistake...I misread the article.

Still, as a licensed counselor, she is required to give appropriate counseling to her gay students. "Honey, you're not really gay, just making bad choices" is not an appropriate way to counsel troubled gay teens.

Agreed. But here is the problem i have with all of this. If you pass the curriculum, regardless of beliefs, what shouldn't you graduate?

Regardless of her beliefs that does not mean she can not demonstrate the ability to counsel homosexuals. I would assume that she would just choose not to counsel them.

Telling an already emotionally-troubled homosexual "Your orientation is a choice, choosing to be straight will stop this pain" when he has likely suffered for years trying to make himself straight, might make him suicidal.

I know many who were put through hell by parents who believed just that.

I don't see anywhere that she says she would not or could not counsel LGBT.

In fact, this story says quite the opposite:
See my above statement...the school does not want her making already troubled homosexuals suicidal.

She has already proven Note: according to the article, that she can do that. According to the articles (granted that is from her side of the story) she has not denigrated anyone in the classroom.

Regardless, it is up to her future employers to decide whether or not she is qualified to counsel, not the school.

Immie

Enough already.

but many do come in when they are in the "confused" state and thats when they are most vulnerable and thats when this women would be encountering them

I don't know how it works in GA, but our counselors refer to the school psychologist or even mental health services if a student is truly troubled. That goes for any kid; not just gay ones.

She is being punished for her beliefs; not her actions. It will probably all come to down to their "code of ethics"; which I imagine would have to be broken not by word; but deed.

According to the articles (granted that is from her side of the story) she has not denigrated anyone in the classroom.
Fortunately, the Christian Post is not the agency which determines the standards to which professional counselors are held...and I would very much like to see the school's side of the story from a non-religious source.

Then since they want to impose their unwarranted beliefs on what a school counselor should believe, they should refund every dime she has had to pay including tuition, book and student fees to her and let her continue her education at a school that does not impose its irreligious and liberal point of view on students.

Immie
She understood the requirements of graduation before she signed up, and clearly understood that her beliefs contradicted the goals of her profession through arguments with the professors. She signed contracts where she understood the very strict circumstances in which she could obtain a refund, circumstances which have long since passed.

yes thats why all of this odd and seems to me like she eventually wanted to cause problems. she knew she was going to a secular school where her religious beliefes who be at odds with the guidelines there and she spent years there anyway.

I am a bit torn though on denying students who pass all the courses, although she shouldn't be licensed unless her views on gays changes or she is licensed but not allowed to counsel gays etc

I attended a secular school. I never once thought that I would be persecuted for my beliefs. Why on earth does anyone think she should have thought they would persecute her for her beliefs when she started attending?

Immie

Thank you.

Keeton claims that she has voiced her Christian beliefs inside and outside the classroom on homosexuality and other biblical teachings. ASU faculty has ordered her to undergo a remediation plan, which would include diversity sensitivity workshops, she says.
Seems no different from a company/agency forcing an employee to undergo "Anger Management" or "Diversity" or "Alcoholic's Anonymous" programs.

Forum List

Back