I am on the cusp of a major life-changing decision...

So its her fault, really?
I feel like she is holding me back because she has her own separate life with her boyfriend but I do not have separate life without her. If I had a new relationship with a woman, it would be very awkward because my ex-wife would just walk in my home like she still owns the place and then I would have to explain that.

Make new rules and take a vacation first. I don't know where you live, but just because some one you knew encouraged you to make a drastic changes doesn't mean you have to sell your home and move. Well it has to be something you want. Apparently you are employed, so one can write anywhere you want. Take a vacation, and think about it.
I do want this. I have accomplished nothing in the last two years, my life is not moving forward. I've always wanted to move to New York, it's not just today that I decided this. New York is the center of the world for all things creative. I can make contacts there that aren't possible in Las Vegas. Also, Las Vegas isn't that interesting if you aren't into gambling, strip joints and nightclubs.

Man if I was you and had the means I would go smoke some really good Hashish in Amsterdam...
The only decision I have left, I guess is where in Europe do I begin? I'm thinking England.

That's where I started many years ago when I went. Obviously a good place to start--no language barrier. Although many Europeans do speak some English
How do I fill prescriptions? Will my health insurance work in Europe?

That I can't help you with--it's been too long since I've been there. Sorry. But it seems to me that they don't even deal in health insurance there--"universal care". You just go and it's picked up? But don't quote me on that!

There are other options, such as renting it, setting up a rent to own contract etc.

May want to think about some of those options also, so you dont get crushed on taxes....
I could get an equity line of credit, but that would be a bitch to pay back.
Bro... seriously... you need to make a CLEAN BREAK. Obviously your ex is NOT concerned with how YOU feel, so why in the HELL are you still concerned with how SHE feels?

Do EXACTLY what you want at this point, but NYC... really? Do you want to pay the HIGHEST TAXES in the NATION? It's a BIG nation, and there's lots of states that have NO income tax, and I'm sure you could still pursue your dream of writing.

J
There are other options, such as renting it, setting up a rent to own contract etc.

May want to think about some of those options also, so you dont get crushed on taxes....
I could get an equity line of credit, but that would be a bitch to pay back.

True, but thats a cash flow analysis question. There are tax breaks also when owning rental properties.

Explore all your options. if you're talking to the accountant anyhow toss those at him/her.

Hit biggerpockets.com or just google around a bit. you may end up being able to leverage it to improve your overall net worth. and maybe not. good luck either way...

Rent . In case you miss home...don't do anything you can't undo
I went to law school and that was a decision I could not undo. I went into debt $400,000 and it's finally paid off. As of April 1, I will no longer have any children living at home. Now I have the freedom to do what I want, for the first time in my life. I'm ready for this.

Rent . In case you miss home...don't do anything you can't undo
I went to law school and that was a decision I could not undo. I went into debt $400,000 and it's finally paid off. As of April 1, I will no longer have any children living at home. Now I have the freedom to do what I want, for the first time in my life. I'm ready for this.
I've lived alone for 32 years. I can give you some idea how to cope with living alone. I'm sure it would sound foreign, but once you get used to it, the freedom is something to behold.

Man if I was you and had the means I would go smoke some really good Hashish in Amsterdam...
The only decision I have left, I guess is where in Europe do I begin? I'm thinking England.

That's where I started many years ago when I went. Obviously a good place to start--no language barrier. Although many Europeans do speak some English
How do I fill prescriptions? Will my health insurance work in Europe?
I think you must get a Schengen Visa Insurance. But it won´t cover the UK.
But I am just guessing. You need to consult a travel agency.

So rent for one year then decide...I have been married for 38 yrs this March..if I left my hubby he would be broken for about an hour...she gave up all rights to enter your home when she left..she wants her cake and to eat it too...get another house keeper and change the locks

Take the leap, bro. Throw caution to the wind and live the dream... BUT... don't do it STUPID... PLAN.

So rent for one year then decide...I have been married for 38 yrs this March..if I left my hubby he would be broken for about an hour...she gave up all rights to enter your home when she left..she wants her cake and to eat it too...get another house keeper and change the locks
I don't give a shit if we feud or not, Bones... when you're right, you're right... and you're right.

I could sell my home to my father. That way the house would still be in the family and he could sell it back to me if I decide to return to Las Vegas.

I am divorced, and as of April 1, my daughter will get her own apartment, leaving me with an empty nest for the first time in my adult life.

My ex-wife walked away without any interest in our home. That was her decision, but I now own a home with a lot of equity and I've been thinking it's my retirement nest egg.

But recently, I made a new friend and she is going to China to be an ESL teacher, and she inspired me that maybe I need to make a drastic change as well.

I'm thinking of selling my home, traveling through Europe for a few months, then relocating to New York City.

In New York, I can get a job as an immigration lawyer and then pursue a new career as a writer.

The main reason I want to make a break is because of my ex-wife, who is still in my life despite the fact that she lives with her boyfriend.

My home is still filled with reminders of her, she decorated it, there are pictures everywhere, and she comes in my home any time she feels like it. We are friends, and we still do things together like watch TV and go to movies and bowling and restaurants. She still participates in family events like Thanksgiving and Christmas. She even decorates the house for Christmas and picks out the tree.

I feel like she is holding me back because she has her own separate life with her boyfriend but I do not have separate life without her. If I had a new relationship with a woman, it would be very awkward because my ex-wife would just walk in my home like she still owns the place and then I would have to explain that.

Also, because my ex-wife and I had children very early in our lives, there is lots I've never done, including going to Europe. For the first time in my life I have nothing holding me back and I want to take a long trip to Europe.

I am pretty sure I would get raped on capital gains taxes if I sold my home and did not buy another, but I'm willing to pay the tax so I can get a new beginning in my life, away from my ex-wife.

This would be a big break for me because I would leave behind everyone I know, but I am convinced I can make new friends in New York because I would join writers groups and participate in writers conferences and New York is the center of the world for writing.

I'm not really asking for anyone's permission, I just felt like sharing this.

Well, best of luck to you... but going to NY sounds kind of risky, given what the cost of living there is. (IF it's NYC< anyway.)

If you have the financial means, I say go for it. We probably disagree on everything, but it sounds like you'd done your job as a parent and a member of the community. You really don't owe anyone anything else at this point.

Make new rules and take a vacation first. I don't know where you live, but just because some one you knew encouraged you to make a drastic changes doesn't mean you have to sell your home and move. Well it has to be something you want. Apparently you are employed, so one can write anywhere you want. Take a vacation, and think about it.
I do want this. I have accomplished nothing in the last two years, my life is not moving forward. I've always wanted to move to New York, it's not just today that I decided this. New York is the center of the world for all things creative. I can make contacts there that aren't possible in Las Vegas. Also, Las Vegas isn't that interesting if you aren't into gambling, strip joints and nightclubs.

Oh you live in Las Vegas, I'd want to move as well. Well if you have thought about it for awhile and always wanted to move to NY , then do it. Just remember NY has rough winters, almost like MI, which I want to move to Florida every winter, yet I don't.

Blackrook, so sorry for your woes. Being divorced myself, I can tell you there is a good life afterwards, but allow yourself time to heal. You are smart about getting information about taxes and such. Get a broker as a financial director.

I think it is best to eliminate your ex from your life, completely. Talk to a psychologist to guide you through a greiving/rehabilitation process. Keep us abreast of you new life and adventures ahead of you.

Oh you live in Las Vegas, I'd want to move as well. Well if you have thought about it for awhile and always wanted to move to NY , then do it. Just remember NY has rough winters, almost like MI, which I want to move to Florida every winter, yet I don't.
I've been to Florida and it's boring.

I am divorced, and as of April 1, my daughter will get her own apartment, leaving me with an empty nest for the first time in my adult life.

My ex-wife walked away without any interest in our home. That was her decision, but I now own a home with a lot of equity and I've been thinking it's my retirement nest egg.

But recently, I made a new friend and she is going to China to be an ESL teacher, and she inspired me that maybe I need to make a drastic change as well.

I'm thinking of selling my home, traveling through Europe for a few months, then relocating to New York City.

In New York, I can get a job as an immigration lawyer and then pursue a new career as a writer.

The main reason I want to make a break is because of my ex-wife, who is still in my life despite the fact that she lives with her boyfriend.

My home is still filled with reminders of her, she decorated it, there are pictures everywhere, and she comes in my home any time she feels like it. We are friends, and we still do things together like watch TV and go to movies and bowling and restaurants. She still participates in family events like Thanksgiving and Christmas. She even decorates the house for Christmas and picks out the tree.

Also, because my ex-wife and I had children very early in our lives, there is lots I've never done, including going to Europe. For the first time in my life I have nothing holding me back and I want to take a long trip to Europe.

I am pretty sure I would get raped on capital gains taxes if I sold my home and did not buy another, but I'm willing to pay the tax so I can get a new beginning in my life, away from my ex-wife.

This would be a big break for me because I would leave behind everyone I know, but I am convinced I can make new friends in New York because I would join writers groups and participate in writers conferences and New York is the center of the world for writing.

You will NOT be subject to capital gains taxes on the sale of you private residence. You will pay no taxes.

I could sell my home to my father. That way the house would still be in the family and he could sell it back to me if I decide to return to Las Vegas.
Damn... I lived in Las Vegas for 4 years... lived in Reno for 4 years too. Reno wasn't bad, but Vegas, good Lord, get the hell otta there.

NOT EVEN... NY upstate maybe, but not NYC. Michigan is one of the coldest states in America, along with Minnesota and Wisconsin. How do I know? I live in Wisconsin... just watch the weather.

You will NOT be subject to capital gains taxes on the sale of you private residence. You will pay no taxes.
How's that?

Forum List

Back