I am on the cusp of a major life-changing decision...

Is it the same in every state?
States may have taxes, but we are talking about federal.
We're talking about capitol gain taxes from the sale of real estate. You said you don't pay taxes on that and to ask you why. I did, and your only answer is... states may have taxes, but we're talking about federal?

Do you pay taxes on the sale of real estate or not, state or federal, you sounded like you knew.
LOL.

Not in my state. Sorry but I am not a tax accountant. There are 50;states you know?

There is a distinction between real estate you call home and real estate you own and rent to others.
He's made the distinction. He owns his home. Will he pay capitol gains tax on it or not?
No, I looked it up, the first $250,000 of income from the sale of a residence does not have to be reported as taxable income. If I was married it would be the first $500,000.
Sounds good... sell the house... cash in and have an adventure. You're not too old, man. You're in your prime.

Not only that, but cost of living is also extremely high. If you know you can make a good income there, then why live like a hobo traveling Europe.
Because I've always wanted to travel Europe like the young people do. I never got to do that because I had kids so early in life.
I have friends in Europe, Germany to be specific, and they're doing fine.

Say you got $300,000 for your home, just guessing, that would sustain you for quite awhile in Europe, and you should have a nest egg left to still put a down payment on another home if you want, but not in LA or NYC.
Ok, but the reason I want to live in NY is that is where all the publishers are. I guess I could go live in Texas and get a big spread.
Hell man... there's this thing called the INTERNET, that we're on right now, and you can contact any publisher in the WORLD. You don't have to live in NYC to contact publishers.
OK, what state would you suggest? I want to go in a general easterly direction.
You’re asking idoit for advice. Stop with the gag. It’s over.

Not only that, but cost of living is also extremely high. If you know you can make a good income there, then why live like a hobo traveling Europe.
Because I've always wanted to travel Europe like the young people do. I never got to do that because I had kids so early in life.

Say you got $300,000 for your home, just guessing, that would sustain you for quite awhile in Europe, and you should have a nest egg left to still put a down payment on another home if you want, but not in LA or NYC.
Ok, but the reason I want to live in NY is that is where all the publishers are. I guess I could go live in Texas and get a big spread.
Hell man... there's this thing called the INTERNET, that we're on right now, and you can contact any publisher in the WORLD. You don't have to live in NYC to contact publishers.
Honestly, if it was me... I'd look at Arkansas, or Missouri, some centrally located state with nice weather, easy to travel to other states, low cost of living, pretty... etc.

I don’t fraternize with exes once they made a decision to split the sheets they are gone and I don’t want them around, and no cuckolding,fags.
My ex-wife and I have 36 years of history together. That's two-thirds of our lives. We also have three children. Perhaps you've never had a relationship like that.
I do but once I am wronged I don’t go back for seconds.

You’re asking idoit for advice. Stop with the gag. It’s over.
You already blew it here dumbass.

Honestly, if it was me... I'd look at Arkansas, or Missouri, some centrally located state with nice weather, easy to travel to other states, pretty... etc.
And a lot cheaper than NY.

Go for it. Sell the house and go find all the adventure life has to offer.

Don't regret staying friends with your ex-wife. That single thing was probably the best gift you ever gave your children.
So what about the photographs? Do I put them back before my ex-wife notices they are gone?

I'm really not sure how to proceed. My ex-wife does not ever tell me what she wants, so all I can do is guess.

Does she think eventually we will get back together? I haven't a clue.

For the foreseeable future, that ship has sailed. Going back would be a mistake. Go forward.

I wouldn't put the photos back out. But don't throw them away either.

Don't regret staying friends with your ex-wife. That single thing was probably the best gift you ever gave your children.
So what about the photographs? Do I put them back before my ex-wife notices they are gone?

I'm really not sure how to proceed. My ex-wife does not ever tell me what she wants, so all I can do is guess.

For the foreseeable future, that ship has sailed. Going back would be a mistake. Go forward.

Burn the bridge... she has.

Because I am planning to live in New York City, so I can't spend all my money in Europe.
And you're going to pay some of the HIGHEST income taxes, just taxes PERIOD, in the NATION, if you move there. You sure that's a good plan?

Are you talking working for a mag, a newspaper or writing a novel. Fiction or non fiction.

They have children. Those bridges don't go away.

And you're going to pay some of the HIGHEST income taxes, just taxes PERIOD, in the NATION, if you move there. You sure that's a good plan?

Are you talking working for a mag, a newspaper or writing a novel. Fiction or non fiction.
I'm thinking fiction. But my plans are vague, I just want the experience of living in New York.

I'm thinking fiction. But my plans are vague, I just want the experience of living in New York.
Have you spent any time in NYC?

Have you spent any time in NYC?
Yes.

You would like the Bible Belt states, that is one reason I won't go down south.

I don't think I would like the Bible Belt states. I am Catholic and they tend not to like Catholics.

I wasn't referring to the kids, and you knew that.

Well, pay up and go where you think you'll like, even if it does empty your wallet then.

I don't think I would like the Bible Belt states. I am Catholic and they tend not to like Catholics.
No one would EVER force a Bible on you. I'm sure you could find kindred souls no matter where you go.

I wasn't referring to the kids, and you knew that.

Yes, I knew that. But she is their mother.

Forum List

Back