I am on the cusp of a major life-changing decision...

I am divorced, and as of April 1, my daughter will get her own apartment, leaving me with an empty nest for the first time in my adult life.

My ex-wife walked away without any interest in our home. That was her decision, but I now own a home with a lot of equity and I've been thinking it's my retirement nest egg.

But recently, I made a new friend and she is going to China to be an ESL teacher, and she inspired me that maybe I need to make a drastic change as well.

I'm thinking of selling my home, traveling through Europe for a few months, then relocating to New York City.

In New York, I can get a job as an immigration lawyer and then pursue a new career as a writer.

The main reason I want to make a break is because of my ex-wife, who is still in my life despite the fact that she lives with her boyfriend.

My home is still filled with reminders of her, she decorated it, there are pictures everywhere, and she comes in my home any time she feels like it. We are friends, and we still do things together like watch TV and go to movies and bowling and restaurants. She still participates in family events like Thanksgiving and Christmas. She even decorates the house for Christmas and picks out the tree.

I feel like she is holding me back because she has her own separate life with her boyfriend but I do not have separate life without her. If I had a new relationship with a woman, it would be very awkward because my ex-wife would just walk in my home like she still owns the place and then I would have to explain that.

Also, because my ex-wife and I had children very early in our lives, there is lots I've never done, including going to Europe. For the first time in my life I have nothing holding me back and I want to take a long trip to Europe.

I am pretty sure I would get raped on capital gains taxes if I sold my home and did not buy another, but I'm willing to pay the tax so I can get a new beginning in my life, away from my ex-wife.

This would be a big break for me because I would leave behind everyone I know, but I am convinced I can make new friends in New York because I would join writers groups and participate in writers conferences and New York is the center of the world for writing.

I'm not really asking for anyone's permission, I just felt like sharing this.
She´s cherry picking. My door wouldn´t open for her. Does she bring her friend with her?
You certainly need Europe time.

I am divorced, and as of April 1, my daughter will get her own apartment, leaving me with an empty nest for the first time in my adult life.

My ex-wife walked away without any interest in our home. That was her decision, but I now own a home with a lot of equity and I've been thinking it's my retirement nest egg.

But recently, I made a new friend and she is going to China to be an ESL teacher, and she inspired me that maybe I need to make a drastic change as well.

I'm thinking of selling my home, traveling through Europe for a few months, then relocating to New York City.

In New York, I can get a job as an immigration lawyer and then pursue a new career as a writer.

The main reason I want to make a break is because of my ex-wife, who is still in my life despite the fact that she lives with her boyfriend.

My home is still filled with reminders of her, she decorated it, there are pictures everywhere, and she comes in my home any time she feels like it. We are friends, and we still do things together like watch TV and go to movies and bowling and restaurants. She still participates in family events like Thanksgiving and Christmas. She even decorates the house for Christmas and picks out the tree.

I feel like she is holding me back because she has her own separate life with her boyfriend but I do not have separate life without her. If I had a new relationship with a woman, it would be very awkward because my ex-wife would just walk in my home like she still owns the place and then I would have to explain that.

Also, because my ex-wife and I had children very early in our lives, there is lots I've never done, including going to Europe. For the first time in my life I have nothing holding me back and I want to take a long trip to Europe.

I am pretty sure I would get raped on capital gains taxes if I sold my home and did not buy another, but I'm willing to pay the tax so I can get a new beginning in my life, away from my ex-wife.

This would be a big break for me because I would leave behind everyone I know, but I am convinced I can make new friends in New York because I would join writers groups and participate in writers conferences and New York is the center of the world for writing.

She´s cherry picking. My door wouldn´t open for her. Does she bring her friend with her?
She brought her new boyfriend to Thanksgiving dinner a few months after we broke up. He told her that my family was rude to him, nobody talked to him or made him feel welcome. I meant to introduce myself, but there were too many other people around and I never got around to it.

So the boyfriend hasn't come to any more family occasions, and I guess that's OK with me.

I figure with the equity in my home I might be able to spend a year in Europe if that's what I want to do. Then I can move to New York and start a new life.

Well we both moved on... My moves were always temporary... Her move, well lets just say he moved on...

You can't have a 40 year relationship with someone you don't have feelings for... Along with this gray hair I am we are gaining little slivers of wisdom along the way which we could have used 30 years ago...

No regrets (so far)...

She brought her new boyfriend to Thanksgiving dinner a few months after we broke up. He told her that my family was rude to him, nobody talked to him or made him feel welcome. I meant to introduce myself, but there were too many other people around and I never got around to it.

So the boyfriend hasn't come to any more family occasions, and I guess that's OK with me.
I´d feel insulted each time she shows up. I´d told her to make a decision.

Well we both moved on... My moves were always temporary... Her move, well lets just say he moved on...

You can't have a 40 year relationship with someone you don't have feelings for... Along with this gray hair I am we are gaining little slivers of wisdom along the way which we could have used 30 years ago...

No regrets (so far)...

I have chosen not to confront her, because in the past every time I tried to talk things over, she refused, saying "I don't want the drama."

Man if I was you and had the means I would go smoke some really good Hashish in Amsterdam...
The only decision I have left, I guess is where in Europe do I begin? I'm thinking England.

That's where I started many years ago when I went. Obviously a good place to start--no language barrier. Although many Europeans do speak some English
How do I fill prescriptions? Will my health insurance work in Europe?

The end of the trail is New York City. More and more, I've wanted to move there. Now, I have nothing holding me back.

No regrets (so far)...

I have chosen not to confront her, because in the past every time I tried to talk things over, she refused, saying "I don't want the drama."
She´s making it a little bit easy for herself, don´t you think. Maybe when you are gone for a while, she changes her mind, though.

There are other options, such as renting it, setting up a rent to own contract etc.

May want to think about some of those options also, so you dont get crushed on taxes....

No regrets (so far)...

She´s making it a little bit easy for herself, don´t you think. Maybe when you are gone for a while, she changes her mind, though.
She always wanted me to pursue a writing career, she had faith that I could write a best seller in fantasy or science fiction.

There are other options, such as renting it, setting up a rent to own contract etc.

May want to think about some of those options also, so you dont get crushed on taxes....
I could get an equity line of credit, but that would be a bitch to pay back.

Man if I was you and had the means I would go smoke some really good Hashish in Amsterdam...
The only decision I have left, I guess is where in Europe do I begin? I'm thinking England.
You can start in Portugal, tool. The small country offers everything from ski resorts to the sunny places in the Algarve. I especially mention the coasts. You have 90 degrees cliffs with very dangerous ways carved into them. Abandoned beaches with huge waves.
When you are in Spain, avoid the south in the summer (unless you are in a tourist resort). They have only water for an hour or two and fill their bath tubs. Don´t drink the water, unless you are in Germany. Don´t even use it to brush your teeth.
When you are coming to France, don´t miss the viaducts.

So its her fault, really?

Make new rules and take a vacation first. I don't know where you live, but just because some one you knew encouraged you to make a drastic changes doesn't mean you have to sell your home and move. Well it has to be something you want. Apparently you are employed, so one can write anywhere you want. Take a vacation, and think about it.

No regrets (so far)...

She always wanted me to pursue a writing career, she had faith that I could write a best seller in fantasy or science fiction.
I like this one.
Lords of the Sky by Angus Wells

Forum List

Back