I agree with Joe Scarborough

If churches can't conduct businesses according to US law, then they should stick to the non-business realm of organized religion.

There is no law that prohibits a church from running a hospital. There is, however, a regulation that will not withstand court scrutiny that is attempting to do so.

We don't 'run businesses', we run non profits. The Church does not make money from our programs. It costs us money. Money that would otherwise have to come from the taxpayer.

So? Are non-profit hospitals exempt from regulations regarding medical practices, licensing, etc., just because they're non-profit? Is a credit union exempt from regulations regarding sound banking practices just because it's non-profit?

There is no law that prohibits a church from running a hospital. There is, however, a regulation that will not withstand court scrutiny that is attempting to do so.

We don't 'run businesses', we run non profits. The Church does not make money from our programs. It costs us money. Money that would otherwise have to come from the taxpayer.

So? Are non-profit hospitals exempt from regulations regarding medical practices, licensing, etc., just because they're non-profit? Is a credit union exempt from regulations regarding sound banking practices just because it's non-profit?

I don't really care. I care only about this issue as it affects my religion. Pity that you think the First Amendment is so trivial.

It looks to me like the Obama decision to force the Catholic Church to provide things against its religion is so bad only hacks can agree with it.

Morning Joe blog - Scarborough, Brzezinski, Sharpton discuss Obama Catholic ruling

If churches can't conduct businesses according to US law, then they should stick to the non-business realm of organized religion.

No laws in a church hospital? Do the doctors have to be licensed? Do labor laws apply? Can they go Gingrich and employ 9 year olds as janitors?

What makes you think Catholic Hospitals are giving substandard medical care? Do you have any understanding of the issues you are trying to discuss?

How are these questions relevant to the First Amendment?

What makes you think Catholic Hospitals are giving substandard medical care? Do you have any understanding of the issues you are trying to discuss?
Carbonated thinks Gubmint can do it better.

I don't really care. I care only about this issue as it affects my religion. Pity that you think the First Amendment is so trivial.

There is nothing in the 1st Amendment that gives churches explicitly or implicitly special privileges when they engage in commerce that is subject to regulation.

In fact, if anything, giving the Catholic Church's businesses special privileges that non-Catholic businesses could not have access to would be violating the Establishment Clause.

No laws in a church hospital?

He clearly didn't say that. Now you're just twisting in the wind because you know you're losing this argument.

How was the government able to ban polygamy?

The truth is quite the opposite. Some of the country's best hospitals are run by the Catholic Church. :eusa_angel:

There is nothing in the 1st Amendment that gives churches explicitly or implicitly special privileges when they engage in commerce that is subject to regulation.

False. The 1st protects religious freedom. Just like SCOTUS ruled just a couple weeks ago that religious freedom trumps employment law (they ruled UNANIMOUSLY on that, by the way) the same principle will be applied here if this ends up before them.

In fact, if anything, giving the Catholic Church's businesses special privileges that non-Catholic businesses could not have access to would be violating the Establishment Clause.

Your government has waivered a whole plethora of businesses. Sorry, that argument is a failure. How come they waiver profit making businesses, and not the Church? War on Christianity? Do we offend you that much?

False. The 1st protects religious freedom. Just like SCOTUS ruled just a couple weeks ago that religious freedom trumps employment law (they ruled UNANIMOUSLY on that, by the way) the same principle will be applied here if this ends up before them.

And the Church was involved in the fight for Labor Laws. :eusa_angel:

Are they required to comply with the same hospital regulations that non-Catholic hospitals are or not?

These are businesses that a religion is choosing to run in the US. When you choose to run a business in the US, you come under the same set of laws as everyone else running a business.
It's the idea of fair and equal treatment under the law.

The truth is quite the opposite. Some of the country's best hospitals are run by the Catholic Church. :eusa_angel:

I have never been in a Catholic Hospital that scared me, I have been in government run hospitals that had metal detectors and armed guards.

How was the government able to ban polygamy?

The federal government has not banned polygamy.

Forum List

Back