Hurt Walmart, or Help The Poor?

What does the number of workers on minimum wage have to do with his post? Kimura merely asserted that, in a competitive economy with a manifestly powerful capitalist class, the supply-side will dictate public affairs. Not that most people were paid minimum wage, or that the state should be the determinant of all wages.

"...a manifestly powerful capitalist class,..."

The imaginary bête noire created to persuade the unintelligent.
Raise your paw.

Is that to say you reject the existence of basic social roles? There's a lot I disagree with when it comes to the Marxists, but Capital's explanation of wages and property was among the best.

From what country are you posting?

Here, in the United States we believe in seeded rolls......not social roles.

See if you can learn about us from this, so that you avoid embarrassment in the future:

"It’s a common misperception that earnings or wealth quintiles are static, closed, private clubs with very little turnover, so that once a household finds itself in an earnings quintile or living below the poverty line in a given year, it’s doomed to stay there for life.

But the empirical evidence tells a much different story of dynamic change and turnover in the U.S. economy—people and households move up and down the earnings and wealth quintiles throughout their careers and lives.

Many of today’s poor are tomorrow’s rich, and many of today’s rich are tomorrow’s middle class, reflecting the significant upward and downward mobility in the U.S. economy."
OneLife: Income Mobility in the Dynamic U.S. Economy

Do come visit the free world in the future.

:lol:

Nobody's saying that. Improving the condition of the workers can be done through workplace restructuring - and by decreasing the rate of profit and leisure class compensation, in favor of benefits to the producers.

It takes special kind of idiot to compose a post like yours.

You may be in a class by yourself!

Once again, while I do appreciate the insults, actually addressing what I wrote would serve you better. :razz:

Would you suggest that the farmer take the quizzical look on Elsie's face as a question, and attempt to explain farming to the cow?

I find that you and I are in similar roles vis-a-vis economic theory.

Wait....

No....that is only partially accurate....

You would be more aptly depicted as that cow finding itself on AstroTurf....

Did you appreciate that?

I never said that.

However, by keeping our minimum wage at pathetically depressed levels, it doesn’t improve employment prospects in the least. As a matter of fact, it makes it matters worse, since it takes demand out of the economy and lowers the prospects of someone on unemployment benefits or other types of assistance from reentering the workforce.

Wages are source of demand and an input cost. For example, if we reduce wages and demand falls, it has more of a negative impact than any cost savings derived from paying workers less wages. If we look at today’s pathetic minimum wage, it’s not even in the universe of what could be deemed a living wage. Just sayin’…

"...by keeping our minimum wage..."

Let's pretend that you actually knew what you were talking about.

A stretch...

The word "our" implies that it is yours....in reality you want to mandate what other folks pay.

“You want to know how to solve the low-income
housing crisis? Get rid of Davis-Bacon.” That’s what
Elzie Higginbottom says, and Higginbottom builds
low-income housing in Chicago’s grim South Side
ghetto and manages his 2,500 units with a magic
touch….

The law requires Higginbottom to pay the
prevailing wage to all workers on federally assisted
projects of more than 11 units. In Chicago, that
means paying carpenters $23 an hour, including ben-
efits, and paying laborers $18.82 an hour for hauling
in the drywall….

So let’s say Higginbottom wants to hire some of
the unskilled black men from the neighborhood
where he is building houses. He is black himself and
fiercely committed to building a social and economic
base in Chicago’s poor neighborhoods. But to give a
local guy a chance, Higginbottom has to pay him a
wage set by Department of Labor bureaucrats. “I’ve
got to start out a guy at $16 an hour to find out if he
knows how to dig a hole. I can’t do that.”

"Congress's Deconstruction Theory", by Patrick Barry, The Washington Monthly, January 1990, p. 10

In real terms, US minimum wage peaked at $1.68/HR in 1968. In 2013 dollars, we're looking at $10.50/HR.

If we adjust using the SSA's Average Wage Index, the minimum wage should be around $12.50/HR. By the way, the AWI is anchored since real minimum wages have decrease 30% over the last 45 years.

Real wages has increased a dollar and some change. That's about it. Wages for the most part has not been able to keep up with the cost of living. And never well, regardless of how many times we choose to increase minimum wages.

I don't think it should be permissible to pay a subsistence wage of $7.25/HR. It makes wage workers at the very bottom unable to negotiate for wages. This forces people to accept job offers under deplorable conditions in order to survive. I don't even know how we can call ourselves a "free country" under such conditions since low-age workers aren't "free" in the economic sense of the word.

Economic Freedom works both ways. You cannot have one group of people economically free while another group is not. Otherwise, it doesn't work.

Please explain to me how we can be capitalistic economy when one of the most critical components, labor, is in serfdom to the owners of capital.

These days, everyone has rights, except for property owners and employers.

Good to see the real you come out.

You don't know me from a hole in the wall, but whatever floats your boat. :woohoo:

No...really, I do.

I know that you're a fool, and you have the energy to let everybody know it.

Yeah, I'm a fool. I attempted to have a rational discussion about labor theory and issues surrounding minimum wage. I was giving you my opinion. You responded with insults in a prompt fashion. You can disagree without acting like child and someone with a double digit IQ. I returned the insults in kind.

Are you capable of having a rational discussion?

Last edited:

A stretch...

The word "our" implies that it is yours....in reality you want to mandate what other folks pay.

touch….

in the drywall….

"Congress's Deconstruction Theory", by Patrick Barry, The Washington Monthly, January 1990, p. 10

In real terms, US minimum wage peaked at $1.68/HR in 1968. In 2013 dollars, we're looking at $10.50/HR.

If we adjust using the SSA's Average Wage Index, the minimum wage should be around $12.50/HR. By the way, the AWI is anchored since real minimum wages have decrease 30% over the last 45 years.

Real wages has increased a dollar and some change. That's about it. Wages for the most part has not been able to keep up with the cost of living. And never well, regardless of how many times we choose to increase minimum wages.

I don't think it should be permissible to pay a subsistence wage of $7.25/HR. It makes wage workers at the very bottom unable to negotiate for wages. This forces people to accept job offers under deplorable conditions in order to survive. I don't even know how we can call ourselves a "free country" under such conditions since low-age workers aren't "free" in the economic sense of the word.

Economic Freedom works both ways. You cannot have one group of people economically free while another group is not. Otherwise, it doesn't work.

Please explain to me how we can be capitalistic economy when one of the most critical components, labor, is in serfdom to the owners of capital.

These days, everyone has rights, except for property owners and employers.

And....

.... as productivity and skills increase, workers earn more. Productivity of workers in competitive markets is what determines the earnings of most workers; and it is not an accident that labor earns about 70% of the total output of the American economy, and capital earns about 30%.
Ferrara, "America's Ticking Bankruptcy Bomb," chapter nine.

You don't know me from a hole in the wall, but whatever floats your boat. :woohoo:

No...really, I do.

Yeah, I'm a fool. I attempted to have a rational discussion about labor theory and issues surrounding minimum wage. I was giving you my opinion. You responded with insults in a prompt fashion. You can disagree without acting like child and someone with a double digit IQ. I returned the insults in kind.

For purposes of clarity,... I do not insult you.

I describe you.

I am a rational individual.
I have seen your posts....

....and it makes no sense, rational sense, to discourse with one who, intellectually....

...finds urinal cakes an appetizing morsel.

I never said that.

However, by keeping our minimum wage at pathetically depressed levels, it doesn’t improve employment prospects in the least. As a matter of fact, it makes it matters worse, since it takes demand out of the economy and lowers the prospects of someone on unemployment benefits or other types of assistance from reentering the workforce.

Wages are source of demand and an input cost. For example, if we reduce wages and demand falls, it has more of a negative impact than any cost savings derived from paying workers less wages. If we look at today’s pathetic minimum wage, it’s not even in the universe of what could be deemed a living wage. Just sayin’…

A stretch...

touch….

in the drywall….

Inflation is the fault of the Fed, not employers of entry-level employees.

Taxes, especially FICA and sales taxes (i.e. those that hit those least able to pay them the hardest) are also up markedly since then.

If anyone is kicking the shit out of those on the lowest rungs of the employment ladder, it's gubmint and the Fed.

A stretch...

touch….

in the drywall….

Taxes, especially FICA and sales taxes (i.e. those that hit those least able to pay them the hardest) are also up markedly since then.

If anyone is kicking the shit out of those on the lowest rungs of the employment ladder, it's gubmint and the Fed.

I'd like to second that, and remind all that taxes are the bar to becoming wealthy.

The wealth already owned is not federally taxed.
Earnings are.

So...for the middle and lower economic quintiles, most especially those envious of the wealthy, raising taxes impedes their journey toward becoming the wealthy.

It is more than astounding that those same folks are the ones voting for the party that increases taxes.

No...really, I do.

That is the best PC is capable of. Just normal. There is a wealth of information out there on minimum wage and it's effect on the economy and the labor market. But, for PC, such a discussion would be well beyond her interest. So, rather than attempt an actual discussion, you get insults. Sad.

I know you are well aware of the data available. I have seen enough to know that what PC posts is simple dogma. One side, with little evidence. Best I can say is that she is a total waste of time. I could say worse, but everyone who is aware of her posts already knows.

"Actually consumers don't all operate that way, my dear PC."

Would you be happier if I said "the vast majority"?

In reality, I used your quote because you wrote "dear."
I have to be honest.

If you are going to make allegations like "the vast majority" you will need to provide a credible source to back it up.

And in the spirit of honesty I will admit that the only reason I used "dear" is because I have become fond of your feisty ways. You must be compensating for something but it is really cute watching you trying so hard. Just consider me to be one of your fan club members around here. :D You do have a fan club, right?

This help?

1. At Wal-Mart, Americans spend $36,000,000 every hour of every day.

2. This works out to $20,928 profit every minute! 5.8133333% margin

3. Wal-Mart will sell more from January 1 to St. Patrick's Day (March 17th) than Target sells all year.

4. Wal-Mart is bigger than Home Depot + Kroger + Target + Sears + Costco + K-Mart combined.

5. Wal-Mart employs 1.6 million people and is the largest private employer. And most can't speak English.

6. Wal-Mart is the largest company in the history of the World.

7. Wal-Mart now sells more food than Kroger & Safeway combined, and keep in mind they did this in only 15 years.

8. During this same period, 31 Supermarket chains sought bankruptcy (including Winn-Dixie).

9. Wal-Mart now sells more food than any other store in the world.

10. Wal-Mart has approx 3,900 stores in the USA of which 1,906 are Super Centers; this is 1,000 more than it had 5 years ago.

11. This year, 7.2 billion different purchasing transactions will occur at a Wal-Mart store. (Earth's population is approximately 6.5 billion.)

12. 90% of all Americans live within 15 miles of a Wal-Mart.

PC, walmart is successful, no doubt. And they are successful no doubt at least partly because of their employees. So why can't they pay a living wage?

No...really, I do.

That is the best PC is capable of. Just normal. There is a wealth of information out there on minimum wage and it's effect on the economy and the labor market. But, for PC, such a discussion would be well beyond her interest. So, rather than attempt an actual discussion, you get insults. Sad.

I know you are well aware of the data available. I have seen enough to know that what PC posts is simple dogma. One side, with little evidence. Best I can say is that she is a total waste of time. I could say worse, but everyone who is aware of her posts already knows.

Hey, worm.....what brings you out?
Must be raining where you are.

Just want you to know that I appreciate how much effort it took you, stretching those setae!

Don't let the birds see ya.'

No...really, I do.

I describe you.

....and it makes no sense, rational sense, to discourse with one who, intellectually....

Haha.

This coming from someone who has zero understanding about basic economics. You've been listening to reactionaries and you parrot and post their erroneous, uneducated, and ignorant views about everything regarding economics. You're part of a cult at the end of the day. Leave the labor theory to the the adults in the room.

Do you have any original ideas in your head? Ideas of your own, not something you heard on Rush Limbaugh's Cocksucking Extravaganza

I describe you.

Haha.

This coming from someone who has zero understanding about basic economics. You've been listening to reactionaries and you parrot and post their erroneous, uneducated, and ignorant views about everything regarding economics. You're part of a cult at the end of the day. Leave the labor theory to the the adults in the room.

Do you have any original ideas in your head? Ideas of your own, not something you heard on Rush Limbaugh's Cocksucking Extravaganza
Ah....Nomarchy the commie.

Whaddaya say, you fetid old sack of road apples? :lmao:

If you are going to make allegations like "the vast majority" you will need to provide a credible source to back it up.

And in the spirit of honesty I will admit that the only reason I used "dear" is because I have become fond of your feisty ways. You must be compensating for something but it is really cute watching you trying so hard. Just consider me to be one of your fan club members around here. :D You do have a fan club, right?

This help?

3. Wal-Mart will sell more from January 1 to St. Patrick's Day (March 17th) than Target sells all year.

4. Wal-Mart is bigger than Home Depot + Kroger + Target + Sears + Costco + K-Mart combined.

5. Wal-Mart employs 1.6 million people and is the largest private employer. And most can't speak English.

7. Wal-Mart now sells more food than Kroger & Safeway combined, and keep in mind they did this in only 15 years.

8. During this same period, 31 Supermarket chains sought bankruptcy (including Winn-Dixie).

10. Wal-Mart has approx 3,900 stores in the USA of which 1,906 are Super Centers; this is 1,000 more than it had 5 years ago.

11. This year, 7.2 billion different purchasing transactions will occur at a Wal-Mart store. (Earth's population is approximately 6.5 billion.)

PC, walmart is successful, no doubt. And they are successful no doubt at least partly because of their employees. So why can't they pay a living wage?

1. "...walmart is successful, no doubt."

OMG…you are correct!
That’s an event that usually accompanies a parting sea or a stone tablet!!!

2. "So why can't they pay a living wage?"

Ahhh....I knew you couldn't get two in a row right.

They do pay a 'living wage'....Wal-Mart has so determined.

So...now back to your crib.

I describe you.

Haha.

Wait....I have the music for that post:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fCFibtD3H_k]THE INTERNATIONALE (in Russian) - YouTube[/ame]

This help?

1. "...walmart is successful, no doubt."

OMG…you are correct!
That’s an event that usually accompanies a parting sea or a stone tablet!!!

2. "So why can't they pay a living wage?"

Ahhh....I knew you couldn't get two in a row right.

They do pay a 'living wage'....Wal-Mart has so determined.

So...now back to your crib.
You really did not expect a rational response from PC, did you???

I describe you.

Haha.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fCFibtD3H_k]THE INTERNATIONALE (in Russian) - YouTube[/ame]

He's a big fan of Emma Goldman.

Yeah, that Emma Goldman...The commie. :lol:

I describe you.

Haha.

And what would you expect from someone who idolizes ann coulter????

A stretch...

touch….

in the drywall….

A little Inflation is perfectly normal in a robust economy. It encourages investments and dissuades the hoarding of cash. The problem in the US is that wages have been stagnant for thirty plus years. Even so, purchasing power has increased significantly over the last hundred years.

My only problem with the FED is their attempts to reinflate certain types of assets.

Last edited:

This help?

No country on earth has enacted a living wage... No really, they haven't.

As for corporations and businesses, I suppose it would be possible. How would you like to have my salary?

Forum List

Back